I don't understand how I am so far off from my calorie goal.

Options
It's 8PM, I'm not even hungry and I'm still 630 calories away from hitting my goal of 1450.
Is that unhealthy or could I still lose weight by being so under?

Replies

• weightliftingdiva
    weightliftingdiva Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Pay the most attention to your weekly intake. Going under on one day won't hurt. Just don't make a habit of it.
  • LadyBaggins
    Options
    Sadly I'm mostly way under. 300-600 under
  • MackynDibsMom
    Options
    It may just be who you are. The calorie goal that MFP gives you is a starting point gleened by averaging thousands and thousands of people. It's not literally who you are and what you burn. Listen to your body. Eat if you're hungry, don't eat if your not. If you are still losing weight at a healthy rate don't worry about it.
  • loribethrice
    loribethrice Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    As long as you're getting around 1200 calories everyday I think you should be ok!
  • blue__hydrangea
    Options
    It may just be who you are. The calorie goal that MFP gives you is a starting point gleened by averaging thousands and thousands of people. It's not literally who you are and what you burn. Listen to your body. Eat if you're hungry, don't eat if your not. If you are still losing weight at a healthy rate don't worry about it.

She's eating 820 calories total (1450 - 630 = 820) and says most days this is the norm. How is that "who you are"??? 800 calories is a starvation intake. Our organs need fuel (as in energy...as in calories) to function, that includes your heart, liver, and brain, and you REALLY don't want to starve your organs. Your organs need at least 1200 a day to properly function. Eating a little under, say 1100, is one thing, but 800 is way too low.
  • Laurenloveswaffles
    Laurenloveswaffles Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Get a spoon and a jar of peanut butter, and eat some. You will lose weight because you are in a calorie deficit. Is it healthy? No. Is it maintainable? No. Just eat more.

edited to fix spelling
  • love8383
    love8383 Posts: 169
    Options
    try to get at least 1200 so your body isn't starving, it should be quite easy to add some calories a hand full of nuts can be 100 calories by itself.
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    How accurately are you logging?

I ask because I see a lot of "as packaged" entries without any of the normal added ingredients. (butter, milk, etc) also some quick adds. I only went back a few days, but make sure you're accurately logging everything. Do you own a food scale? You may be eating more than you think.

If not, try preplanning your days so you can spread the extra calories throughout your whole day instead of trying to eat a lot at the end of the day to make up for it.
  • LadyBaggins
    Options

She's eating 820 calories total (1450 - 630 = 820) and says most days this is the norm. How is that "who you are"??? 800 calories is a starvation intake. Our organs need fuel (as in energy...as in calories) to function, that includes your heart, liver, and brain, and you REALLY don't want to starve your organs. Your organs need at least 1200 a day to properly function. Eating a little under, say 1100, is one thing, but 800 is way too low.
    Ah yeah that's why I'm worried. It's not like I haven't been eating though. and I don't feel hungry some of the time.
    But mostly because I'm probably used to under-eating.

I just made two sunnyside eggs and 1 slice of wheat toast not too long ago.
    and now making some progressive soup c: So now only 296 under. Perhaps I'm not recording everything properly also?
  • LadyBaggins
    Options
    How accurately are you logging?

I ask because I see a lot of "as packaged" entries without any of the normal added ingredients. (butter, milk, etc) also some quick adds. I only went back a few days, but make sure you're accurately logging everything. Do you own a food scale? You may be eating more than you think.

If not, try preplanning your days so you can spread the extra calories throughout your whole day instead of trying to eat a lot at the end of the day to make up for it.
    I'm not sure how accurate everything is. My boyfriend is fairly good with working that stuff out in his head so he tells me. I sadly do not own a food scale, no. As for the quick added that's typically when I have dinner at my job, and I'm not sure exactly what brand of stuff they used and such, so estimate the total.
  • LadyBaggins
    Options
    Get a spoon and a jar of peanut butter, and eat some. You will lose weight because you are in a calorie deficit. Is it healthy? No. Is it maintainable? No. Just eat more.

edited to fix spelling
    I shall do this. Being I'm still practically 300 under right now >:/
  • Swiftlet66
    Swiftlet66 Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    Have you always been eating like this, even before starting MFP? If you want to add calories, is not that hard.... Just add calorie dense foods to your diet. Use butter or olive oil when you cook your eggs. Add some nuts into your diet. Walnuts are great healthy fats.
  • almondjoy206
    almondjoy206 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Im always usually under my calorie goal as well. I have been dancing A LOT every day with my kids. And I try to hit the gym 5x a week as well. So supposedly I am burning anywhere from 500 calories up to 1,100. Like I said..... SUPPOSEDLY. I rarely eat back half of my calories "burned" since I'm not sure how accurate this is. And I don't have a food scale which is another reason as to why according to MFP I may be under eating.... but when I am able too I measure my food otherwise.. (cups, tablespoons etc).
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure how accurate everything is. My boyfriend is fairly good with working that stuff out in his head so he tells me. I sadly do not own a food scale, no. As for the quick added that's typically when I have dinner at my job, and I'm not sure exactly what brand of stuff they used and such, so estimate the total.

This is most likely your problem. One of the main reasons we gain weight is because we have such a warped idea of "serving size" and how many calories are in little add ins like oil or creamer. Accurately logging your food can be a real eye opener, and if you aren't logging accurately, you are shooting yourself in the foot.

I am not big on weighing my food, but I do at least measure (1/4 cup, twp teaspoons, etc). For now I am losing at a pace I'm comfortable with so it's fine, but if my progress stops, I will have to start weighing instead.

If you aren't weighing or at least measuring, you really have no idea how many calories you are eating
  • LadyBaggins
    Options

This is most likely your problem. One of the main reasons we gain weight is because we have such a warped idea of "serving size" and how many calories are in little add ins like oil or creamer. Accurately logging your food can be a real eye opener, and if you aren't logging accurately, you are shooting yourself in the foot.

I am not big on weighing my food, but I do at least measure (1/4 cup, twp teaspoons, etc). For now I am losing at a pace I'm comfortable with so it's fine, but if my progress stops, I will have to start weighing instead.

If you aren't weighing or at least measuring, you really have no idea how many calories you are eating
    Well I am measuring I do have a measuring cup lol. and go by the servings on the package and such.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Yeah you're probably eating more than you think and that's why you are full.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    Amazon has some inexpensive food scales. Do your best to accurate track your foods and if you still come up short then toss in some fats:

Olive oil
    Tuna fish
    Salmon
    Low sodium nuts
    Avocado
    Flaxseeds
    Sunflower seeds
    Veggies like spinach, kale, and Brussels sprouts
    Beans
    Peanut butter
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    Sadly I'm mostly way under. 300-600 under

if you're mostly that far under every day, you should try planning out your meals for the day either in the morning, or the night before. That way you can see where to best add in a little more here and there.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

Well I am measuring I do have a measuring cup lol. and go by the servings on the package and such.

and what can fit into a measuring cup can vary every time you use it. It's just not that accurate or precise.

Here's the thing- are you losing weight?
    are you trying to lose weight?
    are you maintaining?

B/c if you aren't really losing then odds are you aren't under. But I would imagine if you are only eating a couple hundred calories- even with some over estimating- you're still low. I can eat 1200 before I even leave work- and that's with a lunch I packed- I hate it.

Don't use hunger as a guide- most people's hunger signals are wonky. If I ate when I was hungry- I'd be eating almost all day- I'm ALWAYS hungry- it's annoying- but reality.

Get a scale.
    Log accurately.
    Figure out what you are ACTUALLY eating.