Teen living with parents: how to know whats put in my belly

Options
So I'm an 18 year old male who lives at home with my parents. My parents cook varied dinners that are (I'd imagine) normal, healthy enough. I've been using apps to track what I'm eating but it's not exact. What I mean is I have no idea what portions I'm eating, as nobody weighs the food.

For example, because I'm Irish we eat a lot of potatoes, especially mashed (with some milk and butter mixed in). On this particular day, my dinner would consist of a chicken breast, probably between 1/3 - 1/2 plate of mash and then about 2 handfuls of chopped carrots/green beans etc.

So basically when I'm putting what I've eaten into my diary I only have a rough idea of portion size and ingredients. Is there anyone in a similar predicament to my own and has anyone got some tips to help me out? I would feel bad and my parents would probably look at me like I'm an alien if I asked them to start measuring my food out for me.

Thanks in advance,
Dylan.

Replies

• AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Hi Dylan, can you measure it out yourself? If you have access to recipes, you could put them into the tool here and calculate the total amount of calories, then weigh the portion to get at least some kind of idea. You are living at home, but that doesn't mean you can't make healthy choices. Also I don't see how it would be rude of you to weigh your food, since you'd be eating with them. Nothing wrong in increasing one's awareness.
  • weightliftingdiva
    weightliftingdiva Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Dylan, I have this issue too. My Mom does most of the cooking without following a recipe. I mostly just guess when I'm at home and try and eat sensible portions. My Mom also makes a lot of frozen dinners - although I can't always measure what portion size she gives me, and I don't know what she's added. I usually ask her what's for dinner and then try and prelog to the best of my ability.

Ask them if you can help cook, and then maybe you'll have a better idea of how to log. And if it wouldn't freak them out, try to measure your own portions of the family meal (I know this would be a big no no in my house, so I stick to estimating.)
  • hello6098
    hello6098 Posts: 9
    Options
    Ugh, that's a tough one... we have no scales at the moment and it's killing me, because normally I weigh out everything! I know there are some good rules of thumb, where you compare foods to household objects but for the life of me I can't remember. Weighing things out may be seen as odd but it is very reassuring... I'd say it's worth asking at least!

If your parents say no, control portions by a) eating slowly and not getting distracted as you eat, b) using a smaller plate if possible and c) dividing your plate in half with half veggies and half protein/starch. Of course these things mostly require control over what goes on your plate so perhaps you could use the 'I'll be moving out soon and need to learn independance' argument so that you can watch what food is being cooked in, how much is being cooked and how much is on your plate.

Or you could wrangle with the parents till you get to weigh things, that is the simplest solution.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Go buy a food scale and ask your mom if she can start using the scale while preparing meals. That way you know how much is going into the recipes.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    First, buy your own kitchen scale and a set of measuring cups/spoons (though I would imagine that your parents already have the cups and spoons on hand.) Then use them as you prepare your own plate for each meal. Second, spend some time in the kitchen helping prepare meals so that you know what goes into them. At age 18, you are plenty old enough to learn to cook and prepare meals. It's not long before you'll be out on your own so even if you weren't learning in order to track your food, I'd suggest it as a basic life skill. Once you know what is going into your meals, you should be able to do a good job tracking them.
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    You're 18 - make your own food.
  • 10manda86
    10manda86 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Maybe you could give your mum the biggest shock in the world and HELP COOK DINNER, that way you are able to see what goes into the food... buy a scale, encourage her to use it... lead by example... then serve your own dinner, weighing and measuring everything... do your parents know you are watching what you eat??? talk to them about it!
  • TrailNurse
    TrailNurse Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    At 18 years old, you guys can ask your mom or dad for extra vegetables. If my daughter came to me and said, "Mom, I want to eat more protein and vegetables because I want to be healthy," .......after I recovered from my fainting spell, I would gladly add extra protein and vegetables to her dinner.

You guys have more control over your food supply then you think.
  • liznotyet
    liznotyet Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    If you can't volunteer to cook, add a side of fresh greens or steamed vegetables that take 1/2 of the plate at each shared meal, cutting your meat and potatoes and sauced veggies in half. Wait 20 mins after eating, before you have seconds on the meat and the veg.
  • love8383
    love8383 Posts: 169
    Options
    just have your mom give you your mash potatoes before she adds the milk and butter ect im sure i they know your trying to eat healthier they'll make little adjustments for you.
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    just have your mom give you your mash potatoes before she adds the milk and butter ect im sure i they know your trying to eat healthier they'll make little adjustments for you.
    Oh, I'd rather eat less of it than sacrifice consistency and taste. There is nothing wrong with milk and butter.
  • tesstcool
    tesstcool Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Youre probably eating more than you think. I would def start at least trying to measure if the scale is absolutely not an option. If for whatever reason measuring is absolutely not an option take half as much potatoes as usual and double up on veggies. Plate your own food. Try to eye it as best possible and good luck!
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    By the way, are you trying to gain weight or lose weight?
  • becomingittybittyme
    becomingittybittyme Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    s66jyf.gif
    Don't know how much help this will be to you but it helped me quite a bit to narrow down portion sizes when I was still living with my parents. ☼
  • CindyMarcuzAdams
    CindyMarcuzAdams Posts: 4,006 Member
    Options
    Hi Dylan, I agree with those who have said to help your mom in the kitchen. Also instead of a third to half a plate of mash have a half a cup. Fill your plate with the vegetables offered. Take a piece of meat the size of the palm of your hand minus fingers. If you have a job go to walmart and with 20 bucks you can get your own scale. Its so helpful to have. Get into the habit of measuring.
    Good luck
  • mikekelly1234
    mikekelly1234 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    You could offer to cook for the family...lol That way you'd have control over all the portions.
  • mickiebabs
    mickiebabs Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    The biggest, best advice I can give you is to TALK TO YOUR PARENTS. Seriously, why do teenagers feel that they can't talk to their parents anymore? Back to the discussion at hand. Talk to your parents and explain what you're doing and WHY. And I don't mean just the "I wanna look good for..." line. Tell them that you need to do this for your health. That if you don't get your weight under control now, and learn to eat healthy now, you're just going to end up having problems when you are older. Buy your own scale and measuring utensils and offer to show your parents exactly how your meal breaks down into your food log. There's no reason for it to be an embarrassing act.

Other advice, shock your mother by offering to help in the kitchen. Or since you are going to be on your own soon, ask her to teach you how to cook or let you cook a meal for the rest of the family. This way, your learning valuable life lessons and making sure exactly what your eating.
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,765 Member
    Options
    You're 18.

You're old enough to buy your own food and cook for yourself.
  • fattymcrunnerpants
    fattymcrunnerpants Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I agree with those who are saying start making and measuring your own food. You're more than old enough to do so.
  • peachmagic
    peachmagic Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I'd also say start cooking! Join your parents in the kitchen and help cook dinner. You know exactly what's going in it that way, and I find cooking really enjoyable actually.