clean eating vs iffym

Options
scorrea2
scorrea2 Posts: 72 Member
Whats the main difference between the two? Also which is better for weight loss?

Replies

• scorrea2
    scorrea2 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I meant iifym opps :/
  • Birder155
    Birder155 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    The one that you'll stick with. :flowerforyou:
  • MaidensAndMonsters
    Options
    This is such a baited post lol. It really doesn't matter. If you are in a caloric deficit....you will lose weight. It's all about how you choose to fill those calories. I find cleaner eating is more filling. Just personal preference. Neither is better or worse. Do what works for your lifestyle and body.
  • rossraskolnikov
    rossraskolnikov Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    This thread could run and run.
  • BirdGirlFit
    BirdGirlFit Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Both restrict your food intake. Eating at a deficit = you will lose weight.

I have done both. I think a mix of the two is ideal. I have dessert every night (real ice cream, a brownie, etc.) but I also eat very healthy meals for breakfast and lunch. There is a lot of variety to my diet but it's pretty balanced. If I want a beer- I have it. If I want a cheeseburger, pop tart, ice cream cone? I have it! You just have to balance. Don't have an Egg McMuffin for breakfast, Taco Bell for Lunch, KFC for dinner and then Ben & Jerry's. Just pick one at a time and really enjoy it...
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    They are not mutually exclusive. You can practice both. IIFYM does not dictate what you eat, only that it fits your macros. You can fill your macros with food you want. You can eat "clean", whatever your definition of that is, and hit your macros.
    A lot of people who do IIFYM include foods that they enjoy, typically considered less "healthy" but it is not required.
    You will find that it is very difficult to fit your macros without eating a lot of the same food people who "eat clean" also eat. It is not a matter of eat whatever you want, but it does allow for some flexibility.

The biggest difference would be if you follow only IIFYM, you are less restricted in foods.

The problem with "clean eating" is there is no set definition. What one person may consider clean, others don't.

Assuming you can adhere to them, there isn't a difference weigt loss wise. In fact, I'd argue for some people finding the right macro balance leads to more success.
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    Both approaches work for weight loss, as long as you're in a calorie deficit.
    As mentioned above, the best plan is one you're comfortable sticking to long term.

I'm not a "clean eater", but I do eat a lot of whole and fresh foods. I also eat other stuff. Many iifym-ers follow an 80/20 approach, meaning 80% of what they eat consists of whole foods and the other 20% is whatever they're in the mood for. :smile:
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    What if I told you you can eat 'clean' and do IIFYM?

mind-blown-18-1.gif?w=479&h=262
  • bseant
    bseant Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    What's your definition of clean eating?
  • TriShamelessly
    TriShamelessly Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    Would grab popcorn and sit in for this debate again, but too busy eating my "clean" cherries. Or did I forget to wash them first? Anyhow, losing weight is about creating a calorie deficit, regardless of how you fill those calories. IIFYM is primarily concerned with reaching specific nutritional goals that match your fitness goals. Given that you have goals to meet, most of what IIFYM-ers such as myself have to eat what most people would consider "clean" - e.g., lean proteins, lots of fruits and vegetables, healthy fats, etc. The fact that I still have calories left over at the end of the day (after I've hit my nutritional requirements), let's me indulge in a bit of ice cream, a cookie or two, etc. As for "clean" eating, if you can come up with a universal definition that everyone would agree to, I will happily bow down and worship you :blushing:
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    They are not mutually exclusive. You can practice both. IIFYM does not dictate what you eat, only that it fits your macros. You can fill your macros with food you want. You can eat "clean", whatever your definition of that is, and hit your macros.
    A lot of people who do IIFYM include foods that they enjoy, typically considered less "healthy" but it is not required.
    You will find that it is very difficult to fit your macros without eating a lot of the same food people who "eat clean" also eat. It is not a matter of eat whatever you want, but it does allow for some flexibility.

The biggest difference would be if you follow only IIFYM, you are less restricted in foods.

The problem with "clean eating" is there is no set definition. What one person may consider clean, others don't.

Assuming you can adhere to them, there isn't a difference weigt loss wise. In fact, I'd argue for some people finding the right macro balance leads to more success.

^^this.

This may help:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/817188-iifym
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    People who are clean eaters focus on eating whole foods… lean meats, healthy fats, veggies, fruits. They typically don't eat processed foods like cookies, chips, fast food, etc.

People who follow IIFYM focus on hitting their macros all while incorporating foods like cookies, chips, and fast food into their diet.

*Edited because of the MFP police.*
  • sculli123
    sculli123 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    Comes down to personal preference. I pretty much do some of both. To fit my macros I have to eat fairly clean at the moment. But I'm not so anal that I freak out over the small stuff either.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    People who are clean eaters focus on eating whole foods… lean meats, healthy fats, veggies, fruits. They typically don't eat processed foods like cookies, chips, fast food, etc.

People who follow IIFYM incorporate foods like cookies, chips, and fast food into their diet.

Um. No.

I follow IIFYM, I focus on lean protein, vegetables, healthy fats and fruits.

Cookies, chips, fast food *can* be included in IIFYM, assuming it fits your macros. It doesn't have to be nor do all people do it.

I've done "clean eating" a la Tosca Reno. I still followed IIFYM because of body composition/performance.
    As Achrya said - mindblowing.

ETA - as I've pointed out in countless "clean eating" threads. My diary is no different than the vast majority of those who have open diaries and are self proclaimed "clean eaters". Particularly the ones who do 80/20 clean eating.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

People who follow IIFYM incorporate foods like cookies, chips, and fast food into their diet.

...not really. My diet is actually pretty clean (more clean that some 'clean eaters' actually, but trying to hit a certain fat and protein level without overdoing it on carbs will do that.) and while I do make room for an angelfood mugcake and some homemade ice cream at night...well actually I assume the ice cream is 'clean'. It is made from scratch after all. So even though I make room for that angel food mugcake at night, my diet is still very focused on whole foods. I haven't had fast food in quite some time even.

And yet still very much IIFYM
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options

People who follow IIFYM focus on hitting their macros all while incorporating foods like cookies, chips, and fast food into their diet.

*Edited because of the MFP police.*

Um. No.

I follow IIFYM, I focus on lean protein, vegetables, healthy fats and fruits.

Cookies, chips, fast food *can* be included in IIFYM, assuming it fits your macros. It doesn't had to be nor do all people do it.

I've done "clean eating" a la Tosca Reno. I still followed IIFYM because of body composition/performance.
    As Achrya said - mindblowing.

ETA - as I've pointed out in countless "clean eating" threads. My diary is no different than the vast majority of those who have open diaries and are self proclaimed "clean eaters". Particularly the ones who do 80/20 clean eating.

Um. I'm well aware of what IIFYM is. I'm also well aware that those who follow IIFYM also eat lean protein, veggies, fruits, and healthy fats. Thought it was common sense for those who read my post to pick up on that but clearly not.

P.s. Your diary is closed so I don't know why you're ranting about those with closed diaries also.
  • RWTBR
    RWTBR Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    This is probably the 198,255th time this post has been made here. Lol. But I'll bite. IIFYM means calorie counting. Clean eating means eating foods you believe to be healthy and good for weight loss, but maybe not actually counting your calories. While clean eating is fine, IIFYM is superior because it means you are tracking your calories and doing the math, which will ensure that you do lose weight. Because, at the end of the day, it does not matter what you eat. All that matters is the number of calories. And, you can overeat "clean" foods and gain weight. Doing the math, to ensure you are in a caloric deficit, is the smart way to go.
  • Jesse_Hunter
    Jesse_Hunter Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    The difference, In my opinion, would simple be health aspects, how you feel.

If you are shooting for a certain number of carbs and you opt to obtain them via sweet potatoes or twizzlers, does it matter?
    From a body composition standpoint, It shouldn't. However, from a health standpoint, absolutely. Sweet Potatoes are loaded with nutrients and fiber, and twizzlers have almost zero nutritional value, as well as loads of processed sugar.

If you want to live off of junk food, you can make it fit your macros, but you will feel terrible. Insulin spikes, lethargy, trouble sleeping, headaches, mood swings, these are just a few of the many side effects of a poor diet.

On the other hand, eating whole foods (Lean meats, fruits, vegetables, nuts, seeds), Basically, foods high in water and fiber content, and naturally low calorie promote a balanced digestion, thus, promoting a balanced body. The advantages include good sleep, higher energy levels, balanced insulin, enhanced mood, etc. Which, in turn will enhance your desire to exercise, get outside, be positive!

So, to answer you question, yes you can macro regulate junk food.

The question you have to ask yourself is, how hard do you want to make your fitness/weight loss journey?

I'm not sure about the "Clean eating" train that has taken off recently, but I guess you would say I am a "clean eater". Although, this is just the way I've always eaten for bodybuilding and health reasons. My diary is open, if you want to see my typical diet (which is the same for at least 7 days at a time). I change out my meals every few weeks or so depending on if I need variety.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options

People who follow IIFYM hit their macros...some are paleo, some are clean eaters, some are low carbers, some eat junk food, some eat mostly clean with some junk food, etc.

IIFYM is simply a concept whereby you focus on hitting your macros....nothing more, nothing less. Everyone is going to have a different way of going about that.