Should I up my cardio vs stregnth?

Options
icanm
icanm Posts: 33 Member
I started my workout routine 5 weeks back. I have taken rest days 1/week and on 2 occassions 2/week. I have lost 2kg (4.4lbs), but due to water retention or for god knows what reason, I mostly see my starting weight on the scale. I did not take my starting measurements, but my clothes are lose or fit well. So, I know there is loss. I would really appreciate if you share your opinions on 1) whether I am doing less cardio 2) I am on track 3) I am not eating right. I really want the scale to show me the money!!

Here is the breakdown of my 40-60min workout routine and food intake.
Stregnth 3x 30-45 mins + 15-20 mins cardio after (light)
Spin class 3x 30-45 mins + 15-20 mins treadmill/cycle (light effort)

Consuming approx 1,000 cals/day; I meet my carb level; almost meet my protein and am way below on my sugar intake most days.

Replies

• Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    "Approx 1,000 cals/day" Does this mean you are eating 1000 cals per day, or burning 1000 cals?

If you are eating enough I don't think there is anything wrong with your routine, but like anything it comes back to energy balance. It really comes down to your diet (your energy levels, dietary adherence). If you are going by the default MFP settings my only suggestion (without seeing your diary) would be to increase your protein - MFP sets it too low for people who train intensely.
  • icanm
    Options
    I eat about 1,000 cals a day. Call me dumb but i had set daily calorie intake to 1,200 to lose about 8 kg in 2 months, and I made it a point in the first 2 weeks to stay way below the 1,200 as well.
  • BRA_S
    BRA_S Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    1,000 calories a day with that routine? lawd
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    If you are eating 1000 cals per day with that amount of activity honestly it is a recipe for disaster.

You may be ok for a few days or possibly even weeks, but there will come a time that your body will fight you. It may result in deviating from your diet (possibly with a binge), it may be a lack of energy, deterioration of health etc.

It's going to be difficult to give any more advice without being able to see your diary/stats etc, but I would certainly advise you to eat more.
  • icanm
    Options
    Thanks! I'll open my diary. I eat all kinds of food but in small portions. I did doubt that I was not eating enough... :-/
  • FatJockSing
    FatJockSing Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I started my workout routine 5 weeks back. I have taken rest days 1/week and on 2 occassions 2/week. I have lost 2kg (4.4lbs), but due to water retention or for god knows what reason, I mostly see my starting weight on the scale. I did not take my starting measurements, but my clothes are lose or fit well. So, I know there is loss. I would really appreciate if you share your opinions on 1) whether I am doing less cardio 2) I am on track 3) I am not eating right. I really want the scale to show me the money!!

Here is the breakdown of my 40-60min workout routine and food intake.
    Stregnth 3x 30-45 mins + 15-20 mins cardio after (light)
    Spin class 3x 30-45 mins + 15-20 mins treadmill/cycle (light effort)

Consuming approx 1,000 cals/day; I meet my carb level; almost meet my protein and am way below on my sugar intake most days.

Hi - here is my tuppence worth. A safe DAILY NET deficit of 500 to 1000 is USUALLY optimal. Too big a deficit for too long can introduce hormone issues. If you are only eating 1,000 and doing THAT work out along with your basic metabolism,you may have a daily deficit of double the high end. People can become catabolic in these conditions so would advise caution here.

I would also argue that in this early stage of workout, while it is hard to gain muscle in a deficit, you will be toning muscle. muscle is denser than fat so there is a CHANCE you are losing fat but not seeing it on the scale as you strengthen muscle. Clothes are a good indicator of this - as is a tape measure and a mirror or photos. I find if I track using 3-4 methods, I am more assured of progress or regress. Scales are only one way and they CAN be incredibly innacurate.

Your workout schedule is aggressive so if I were you I would either keep the diet as is and cut BACK on the routines, or kep the routines and add 200 to 300 calories a day for a week and see what changes this brings.

"If you change nothing, nothing will change"

FJS
  • icanm
    Options
    Thanks! I will try eating every few hours. I realize I have been focusing too much on workout and not on eating.