Best way to gain and macros

Options
So I've been stuck eating 1,500-1,600 calories and want to up that to 2,000 to gain weight. I am 91 pounds, 5'2. My TDEE is 1960 calories. After a lot of research and personal preference, my macros would be 120 g protein, 45 g fat, and 278 g carbs. Is this fine? I went high on fat because of my low weight I would have very little fat to work with (so multiplied it by 0.5) and protein by 1.2. Is this too much protein? Should I be eating more carbs? Also, would upping my intake suddenly cause any problems? I am trying to stay fit and lean, but gain weight so I have also took up weight lifting 4x a week . Any other advice or tips would be useful :)
P.S. I am female

Replies

• 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    If MFP set these for you, t's probably fine. I'm supposed to be gaining on approximately the same calorie intake as you, but my protein is set at 98gm. It shows an adjustment up everytime I exercise, so daily check-ins are necessary for me to meet the macros.

BTW, I am 5'4" 122lb. I'm planning to start weight training, but have to wait a couple of months for medical reasons. I am training to teach Zumba so I get a lot of cardio in.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    45g of fat is still fairly low, I would add a bit of fat and take away some carbs personally. Protein looks fine.

Up your cals 100 per week till you get to 2000 and then tweak if necessary.
  • jonathanbaynes3
    jonathanbaynes3 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    If you really want to be ultra nerdy and work out how to gain weight try this http://www.1percentedge.com/ifcalc/

You need to calc you intake properly and workout to maximise your gains
  • __freckles__
    __freckles__ Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    The main macros you should focus on are protein (.8 - 1 grams per pound of body weight) and fat (.4 grams per pound of body weight). Fat and protein should be treated as minimum goals, so you're fine setting your goals higher than this as you stated.

Carbs are delicious and should not be avoided, but there isn't a minimum/maximum limit you need to worry about.

Increasing your calories will not cause you any harm. You might see some initial water weight gain that may stay with you for the duration of your bulk, but once you go into maintenance the bloat will disappear.

Lastly, if your TDEE is 1960 then you'll have to eat more than 2,000 in order to gain. Shoot for around 200 calories over TDEE. My TDEE is 2200 and I bulked eating 2400 eventually increased to 2600 when I stopped seeing gainz.
  • FatJockSing
    FatJockSing Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    _freckles_ has nailed it for the macros. Fat can be as high as 0.6 and as your Body weight is light I would go nearer the top end of the range as 0.6*91 is still a small number of grams for dietary fat.

TDEE - I am always sceptical how people work this out when you dont KNOW what your daily burn in the gym is unless you are using a Heart Rate Monitor or similar. Multipliers are a bit generic but the numbers you come up with should (IMO) only ever be treated as a starting point. Try it for 2 weeks, track and measure - if it doesn't work, in crease 100 to 200 calories a day - repeat as required.
  • KseRz
    KseRz Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    So I've been stuck eating 1,500-1,600 calories and want to up that to 2,000 to gain weight. I am 91 pounds, 5'2. My TDEE is 1960 calories. After a lot of research and personal preference, my macros would be 120 g protein, 45 g fat, and 278 g carbs. Is this fine? I went high on fat because of my low weight I would have very little fat to work with (so multiplied it by 0.5) and protein by 1.2. Is this too much protein? Should I be eating more carbs? Also, would upping my intake suddenly cause any problems? I am trying to stay fit and lean, but gain weight so I have also took up weight lifting 4x a week . Any other advice or tips would be useful :)
    P.S. I am female

I think its perfectly fine.....to start. We all dont know how your body will react to the new calorie and macro adjustment so you will just have to see and go from there. Is that too much protein? No. Not IMO... its a goal. Is 260 grams of protein too much for me? Maybe. Sometimes I go over it, but most of the time I am around 180-200g (im 217lbs).

Upping Intake: Some people say gradually add in cals. I personally dont think it matters if you immediately jumped to 2000. your body will adjust and figure it out.

Like you mentioned part our decision to be here and what we do are driven by goals and personal preference. At 5'2" and 91lbs it sounds like you are well on your way by upping cals and weight training. Did you have any other goals besides to gain lean mass? What is your goal weight?
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    _freckles_ has nailed it for the macros. Fat can be as high as 0.6 and as your Body weight is light I would go nearer the top end of the range as 0.6*91 is still a small number of grams for dietary fat.

TDEE - I am always sceptical how people work this out when you dont KNOW what your daily burn in the gym is unless you are using a Heart Rate Monitor or similar. Multipliers are a bit generic but the numbers you come up with should (IMO) only ever be treated as a starting point. Try it for 2 weeks, track and measure - if it doesn't work, in crease 100 to 200 calories a day - repeat as required.

Agreed, I would go higher on the fats, as well.

TDEE is tricky to nail down, even with a decent HRM. I ditched mine and used a spreadsheet for three months to track my weight and calories consumed. Personally, my TDEE is 150 calories higher than the most generous calculator online. It's totally worth figuring it out, though. Best of luck!!
  • __freckles__
    __freckles__ Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options

Agreed, I would go higher on the fats, as well.

TDEE is tricky to nail down, even with a decent HRM. I ditched mine and used a spreadsheet for three months to track my weight and calories consumed. Personally, my TDEE is 150 calories higher than the most generous calculator online. It's totally worth figuring it out, though. Best of luck!!

Agree on TDEE. All calculators said mine was 2,000. I figured out by trial and error that it's actually 2,200.
  • Greek_Gemini
    Options
    Definitely check out www.EctomorphZone.com . They outline the basic macros formula for gaining weight. Mine right now is 50% carbs, 30% protein, and 20% fats.
  • Greek_Gemini
    Options
    And eat, eat, eat!
  • W31RD0
    W31RD0 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    P.S. I am female

Here is the percentage breakdowns:
    Calorie Goal: 2000
    Protein:120g - 480 (24%)
    Carbs: 278g - 1112 (56%)
    Fats: 45g - 405 (20%)

20% isn't all that high on the fats. But it isn't dangerously low ether. I would maybe take the carbs down slightly and split them between protein and fats. But honestly it's not a bad ratio plan.