Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Did you go up in weight when increasing cals?

Hey everyone, I'm still in my weight loss phase but getting very close to my goal weight. At some point, I would like to reduce my work outs from 6x/week to 5, and of course increase calories slowly. I'm eating 1500 calories daily and as soon as I eat more than that for one day, I gain 1-2 pounds (mostly water weight). I'm wondering if I should go even beyond my goal weight for a couple of pounds, I'm afraid that when I go from 1500-1600 then to 1700, I'll gain some weight. Has this happened to you at all or did you just gain 1-2 and then got stable?

Replies

• xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    I fluctuate between 3-5 pounds while in maintenance. It can be for a variety of reasons: water weight, extra sodium, getting my period soon, etc.

During maintenance you will not maintain at the same weight everyday, you will have fluctuations. Decide what are normal fluctuations for you (could be 3 pounds up or down, could be 5) and make sure you weigh within those fluctuations. If you start going above or below your fluctuation number, either increase your cals or cut back for a bit to get back into your range.
  • amcampbell2342
    amcampbell2342 Posts: 17 Member
    my weight flucuates between 2-3 lbs most days....I would go more by inches that weight. I weigh more now then I did before however I am "fitter" looking now and feel better. Throw the scale out and get someone to measure you; those are the numbers you should concentrate on. Also pictures show a huge difference in your body as well :)
  • Edensienna
    Edensienna Posts: 180 Member
    I am maintaining and have gained a little since settling into my new calorie allowance.. My measurements are the same so it doesn't impact my goals etc. I did initially lose a few extra pounds before declaring I had reached my goal. See where you feel comfortable in deciding that..
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    I have been between 150 - 155 since January. When I got to 160, I started increasing my calories by 50/week until I got to the level where I maintain. It took me until March to find the right number and I still eat back 1/3 - 1/2 of my exercise calories most days.
  • dedflwrs
    dedflwrs Posts: 251 Member
    I'm maintaining. I too fluctuate, usually on the lower side and then have to gain some weight. Yesterday, after a week of excess I was .6 above my ideal weight and after two days of going back to a more reasonable eating plan (but not really dieting) I'm .2 under my ideal weight. I think the secret is not to go crazy. Don't overdo it but don't underdo it either. Fluctuations are normal. Once you reach your goal weight it helps to weigh in every day to keep you honest.
  • myfitnesspale3
    myfitnesspale3 Posts: 276 Member
    My goal was 170, I touched it and thought ok, time for extra desert.

It took me a month to get back under goal. :laugh:
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    Did you go up in weight when increasing cals?

Nope!
    For the last few pounds I had a very small deficit and didn't have a low carb diet.

It takes a little while and some experimentation to find your maintenance calories - just remember not to over-react to perfectly normal weight fluctuations. Fast weight gain isn't fat so don't worry about it - trends over weeks are the true indicator.
  • ShadowFallRising
    ShadowFallRising Posts: 15 Member
    I just changed to maintain today, and I am afraid of going crazy with the extra calories. I am a 5'6", 130 lb. female, and my losing calorie limit was 1200; it went up to 1650. Should I go up to 1650 calories a day now, or hover in between at 1300 or 1400? It wouldn't hurt to lose a few pounds, even if I'm maintaining, but I don't want to gain any more.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    nope...I increase 50 calories a day every week until I hit maitenance...actually got below goal by 3lbs by the time I hit maitenance cals...

As for my flucuations not really...I stay within 1/2lb ...I think it's because I stay pretty much the same everyday with calories and workouts...the most I went up was to 1lb over goal but that was after a really really liquor filled weekend....hehe...went away fairly quickly tho.
  • gail1961
    gail1961 Posts: 111 Member
    I increased 50 calories per day for a week at a time (1200, 1250, 1300, 1350). I am going to see if I maintain and if I continue to loose I will go to 1400. That may seem low to some, but I am only 5'2", 53 years old, menopausal and 102 pounds. I hit goal 2 months ago.

That is just what is working for ME.