am i making healthy choices?

Options
hi
Please feel free to look at my food diary. I would like some suggestions, if there is anything I can cut back on that i'm eating that may not be healthy for me and might be causing me not to lose weight.Thank you so much.

Replies

• latoyaaaa
    latoyaaaa Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    :) I'm only new here too so I'm not going to suggest too much because I'm still learnin myself
    Although one tip would be to decrease the soft drink you have.
    It's not much and if you have it daily I'm sure it's hard to give up
    But what about having one every second day and the other day have water :)
    Eventually make it every three days and then four until you don't feel like you want/need it
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    if you're in a deficit you'll lose weight, regardless of whether you eat 'healthy'.
  • quarkenstein
    quarkenstein Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    You'll lose weight if you're taking in less calories than putting out.

First - buy a food scale and weigh out your food. You may be surprised how small a "small" apple really is!

Second - a lot of your food seems to be guesstimates? "Homemade - ?" did you inputn the recipe yourself? if not, start doing that.

Third - are you being completely honest about everything you eat and drink? Double check.

And I poked through your diary, you've been on MFP about a week? Give it some time :) the body is going through some crazy changes right now when you shake up your diet, give it time to adjust, especially if you're exercising as well!
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    I'm a firm believer of not demonizing foods and instead practicing moderation. So drinking a soda it two a day won't hurt you; just don't drink a whole 12 pack. Make sure you meet your macro nutrient goals, though, for overall health and muscle retention. Best of luck!
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    if you're in a deficit you'll lose weight, regardless of whether you eat 'healthy'.

This

Also, IMO, not hitting your net goal when you're doing a 1200 diet isn't that healthy (if it's a long term thing - I only looked at a couple of days)
  • serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    Agreed with the above mention of getting a food scale.

I also noticed there are no condiments? No mayo, salad dressing, ketchup? If you aren't using those, alright but, if you are, you need to weigh and log those, as well.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options

I also noticed there are no condiments? No mayo, salad dressing, ketchup? If you aren't using those, alright but, if you are, you need to weigh and log those, as well.

Who's gonna weight ketchup...isn't usually by the spoonful?
  • bennettinfinity
    bennettinfinity Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I'm a firm believer of not demonizing foods and instead practicing moderation. So drinking a soda it two a day won't hurt you; just don't drink a whole 12 pack. Make sure you meet your macro nutrient goals, though, for overall health and muscle retention. Best of luck!

I agree with not demonizing food, but as you put in some time logging, you may well find items that aren't 'worth it' from a calorie perspective.

For example, I've only had one soda in the past 18 months - not because I think soda is bad, but because I would rather consume those calories in another form (protein, healthy fats, etc.).

Log everything, be honest, and you'll find things that you can easily cut back on, reduce portions of, or eliminate altogether.

You'll get there - good luck!
  • bunbunzee44
    bunbunzee44 Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    well I wouldn't call burgers and sodas a healthy choice, but it should be fine as long as you are sure about the portion sizes and stay within a healthy limit.. that said I think you're eating way too little calories.
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options

Who's gonna weight ketchup...isn't usually by the spoonful?

If you actually use a measuring spoon and not something out of your silverware drawer, yes, you are probably OK with teaspoons/tablespoons, etc.

If you have a food scale that tares though, it's a lot easier to just build your meal right there on your plate and weigh items as you add them. Less clean-up too!
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    If you can make it work, I recommend eating out less. And just eating more calories, in general, unless you are (1) a woman (2) over 50 (3) who's under 5'2" tall.