heart rate monitor readings seem really high?

Options
jelleigh
jelleigh Posts: 743 Member
Hey there,

So today I went for my first run/jog in probably over a year; I'm really out of shape and struggled through what I used to do with no problem. I had my new polar heart rate monitor on and it gave me a reading of 630 calories for 53 min of brisk walk/jog/run intervals. Can that be right??? It seems so high. I'm 33, 5'8" and 190 lbs right now. Anyone have experience at this?

Replies

• brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    It probably is a bit high. All your HRM tracks is heart beats and plugs that into a calculation. When you go from a run to a walk your heart rate remains high while the exertion level drops which skews the numbers upwards. It is common with interval training.
  • GoodLittleEater
    GoodLittleEater Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    It probably is a bit high. All your HRM tracks is heart beats and plugs that into a calculation. When you go from a run to a walk your heart rate remains high while the exertion level drops which skews the numbers upwards. It is common with interval training.

This is a good answer. I prefer to tell myself I burn more when I'm out of shape :p It makes me feel more motivated haha.
  • jelleigh
    jelleigh Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Exactly! Makes it seem easier to take on. Lol

So anyone have any ideas how I can "translate" the numbers into something more reasonable? Also I thought that when your heart rate is still up, you continue to burn - like an afterburn type effect? Seems silly to get a heart rate monitor but then it doesn't accurately work!