diet versions of stuff

Options
what are your opinions on the value of diet Coke, diet cereal (special K or whatever), low-calorie jelly (like the 10 calorie Hartley's jelly), as compared to the real thing?

same goes for skimmed milk and that kind of stuff.

worth it or not?

Replies

• Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Depends on my overall day. I'd rather not go diet because I need the macros and non-diet tastes delicious, but if I haven't the calories to spare for the day I will definitely go for diet items like soda or low cal skim milk.
  • erelyl
    erelyl Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I tend to prefer some "diet" versions over the regular, but not because they are diet. I prefer skim or 1% milk, i always buy the pure fruit/no sugar jam, and i like Special K now and then. But i generally don't buy the diet stuff where one thing is replaced with something else, like sugar free pudding with extra salt and fat, or things loaded in aspartame, etc. I'd rather eat a smaller portion of the regular food in those instances.

Diet Pepsi is probably the big exception to that rule for me. If i'm going to drink a soft drink, i try to make sure it's diet (and the truth is i really like diet pepsi). These days i rarely have it though.
  • suremeansyes
    suremeansyes Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    0/0 would not bang

Seriously though. No. It's pretty much all gross.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    Diet coke is amazing. I actually hate the taste of regular coke. I would never drink cola if it had calories.

I have had ice cream of all varieties and I have to say I like Market Pantry brand (America) Low Fat ice cream better than even ben and jerry's. It's so creamy. One serving is 120 calories or thereabouts, vs Turkey Hill/Ben&Jerry's is a smaller serving size and 230-260 cals per serving.

The key is to weigh solids. If diet foods taste as good or better to you than regular ones, go nuts. Just don't go overboard. I follow "a calorie is a calorie." Don't use "It's low fat!" as an excuse to eat away your deficit.

That said, I would never try to low-fat or diet anything like pizza or soft cheese.
  • ARoe9410
    ARoe9410 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    For me it depends on how it got to be the "diet" version of the original. So for example, I'm all for skim milk, but I try to limit my intake of foods made with artificial sweeteners (partly because I don't think a ton of artificial sweetener is good for the human body and part because I don't usually like the taste). Does that make sense?
  • suremeansyes
    suremeansyes Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    Oh, I do drink 2% milk. Well, technically I just pour it on my cereal because drinking a glass of milk is disgusting. Ew. I hate milk.
  • tartansheep
    tartansheep Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    aspartame ? what's wrong with it?
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    It really depends on what it is.

Diet beverages don't bother me because I don't mind artificial sweeteners. Neither does skim milk, as nothing gets added to it to replace the fat.

Many low-fat cheeses are simply terrible, so I opt for regular cheeses that have a strong flavor so I can be happy with a smaller portion.

Many other "diet" or "light" items replace the fat with either sugar or salt in order to give it flavor or texture. In most of those cases, you'd be better off eating the real thing but in a smaller quantity.
  • kaseyr1505
    kaseyr1505 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I tend to not go for the diet versions of stuff, because I don't like the taste, so it isn't something that will last. I love Diet Coke for mixers, though. I also don't like to eat low-fat dairy, so skimmed milk isn't on my radar. Fat makes my stomach/brain happy!

If you like how they taste (compared to the original), then go for it. If you aren't a fan, then have smaller portions of the non-diet stuff.

Some people don't like the diet versions of food/drink because aspartame, or the fact that they're (usually) higher in something else to make up for the low-fat/low-carb/lower calorie. But, like taste, that's a personal choice.
  • CleanUpWhatIMessedUp
    CleanUpWhatIMessedUp Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I think a lower calorie food is worth it if it still tastes good and is filling. If it's lower calorie, but it doesn't fill you up, then there is no point in eating it. In other words, there is no point in eating a 100 calorie snack that doesn't fill you up at all and doesn't taste good when you can eat half of a regular calorie snack that tastes good. What difference does it make. But if that 100 calorie snack will fill you up, then it's a good deal because losing weight is about calories, but at the same time, it's hard to stick to it if you're hungry.

Just for me, I tend to eat 100 calorie kellog pastry crisps as sort of a candy bar replacement. I find them filling and they taste good. A regular candy bar is like 200 - 300 calories.
  • sakuragreenlily
    sakuragreenlily Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Depends on the item... I sometimes do calorie savers such as light sourcream or cheese made with 2% milk but I rarely if ever go for low-carb or sweet things that have 0 calories or very low calories (e.g., salad dressing, lite yogurts, low-carb bread, etc.). I think they taste really gross. The artificial sweeteners they add tend to taste bitter and fake. I'd rather just eat a smaller amount of the real thing or skip it all together than save calories on something that tastes like garbage.
  • april34josey
    Options
    who needs the diet stuff usually they are packed full of additional chemicals and tons of sugar (or sugar alternatives).......you are better off just eating the normal stuff...............btw not to judge but who still drinks soda??? ITS MORE ABOUT NUTRIENTS NOT CALORIES AS MUCH
  • shadowofender
    shadowofender Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I love coke zero. I will never give it up. I don't really give a crap about the artificial whatever crap they put in it, my one can a day, five days a week habit isn't going to kill me anytime soon.

As for other things. Meh. If, like OP said, there's a low calorie jelly...I dunno if I care enough to switch to the low cal? I've gotten good at not need a jelly or a sauce or a butter on most of my food so I'm ok there, I think.
  • gwensoul
    gwensoul Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Some I do some I don't. Depends on the individual product. Diet soda I highly prefer over regular and have forever just because the regular tastes like syrup. For cooking I will often use the lower calories stuff (rarely go fat free) but or eating on its own usually not. For example I might use low fat sour cream in making a dip, but will use the full fat version on my tacos.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    It really depends on what it is.

Diet beverages don't bother me because I don't mind artificial sweeteners. Neither does skim milk, as nothing gets added to it to replace the fat.

Many low-fat cheeses are simply terrible, so I opt for regular cheeses that have a strong flavor so I can be happy with a smaller portion.

Many other "diet" or "light" items replace the fat with either sugar or salt in order to give it flavor or texture. In most of those cases, you'd be better off eating the real thing but in a smaller quantity.

This^
  • IHateThinkingOfAUsername
    Options
    Diet soda - yes.
    Diet cheese - ewwww!
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    In before the fearmongering "diet soda is bad for you" people.

I drink a can of Diet Dr. Pepper every evening. It used to be I hated the taste of diet, but I've gotten used to it so I can give up the 150+ calories of regular I was drinking.

Other than that, I prefer full fat versions. Oh, this also!
    Oh, I do drink 2% milk. Well, technically I just pour it on my cereal because drinking a glass of milk is disgusting. Ew. I hate milk.
  • newcs
    newcs Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Instead of diet versions of things, I try to just eat low calorie foods that are naturally low calorie. I'd rather not replace calories with chemicals. Anything that naturally would have more calories/fat/sugar and is advertised as diet/lowfat/sugar free is usually full of chemicals and extremely processed to get it the way it is. There's a ton of stuff you can have for around 100 calories - veggie sticks and hummus, a piece of fruit, a hard boiled egg, some nuts, an ounce of cheese, etc.
  • allbarrett
    allbarrett Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I prefer the flavour of skim milk and I'm happy with half-fat mayonnaise and 0%-2% greek yogurt. The peanut butter I buy is made of only ground peanuts (so no added salt or sugar). I enjoy baking and have spent a lot of time tweaking recipes so they are lower sugar (I find a lot of recipes in American cook-books use more salt and/or sugar than I like, but baking is as much chemistry as anything else so it takes some effort to "fix" them). I don't mess with the fats in baking though, in that way lies ruin!

So, basically, if I like the flavour of "diet" stuff, then I go for it, but if it the trade-off is low cal/low flavour vs. high cal/high flavour, I'll just have a little less of the good stuff.