How do I log Kettlebell workouts?

Options
2»

Replies

• hig17
    hig17 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I do JM's Shred it with weights (kettlebell) and log it as Circuit Training.
  • BobCole127
    Options
    I'm not accepting any of these methods. I've been logging as circuit training but that burns the exact same calories as Bicycling, 12-14 mph. Let me tell you, using a KB my heart rate is much higher and I am totally exhausted after the KB workout. In comparison, bicycling is nothing - a walk in the park. And I bike.

So, if I do a 60 minute KB workout, rest periods of 33% to 50% I'm only burning 2 thirds to one-half of a bike ride. NO WAY, NO HOW. But then again, I'm using a 40lb KB.

I think I need to get a HRM.

BTW - Kettlebells are aerobic and nothing like weight training.
  • nessagrace22
    nessagrace22 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    The only way you're gonna get close to an accurate figure is to use a HRM. Then all you need to do is create your own exercise in the database. Honestly you'll be shocked at how badly MFP over estimates calories burned.
  • frood
    frood Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Unless you use them for lifts. They are, after all, weights.
  • ddixon503
    ddixon503 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I'm not accepting any of these methods. I've been logging as circuit training but that burns the exact same calories as Bicycling, 12-14 mph. Let me tell you, using a KB my heart rate is much higher and I am totally exhausted after the KB workout. In comparison, bicycling is nothing - a walk in the park. And I bike.

So, if I do a 60 minute KB workout, rest periods of 33% to 50% I'm only burning 2 thirds to one-half of a bike ride. NO WAY, NO HOW. But then again, I'm using a 40lb KB.

I think I need to get a HRM.

So you're saying if someone uses a heavy kettle bell for goblet squats or triceps kickbacks, that's nothing like weight training. Seriously?
  • frood
    frood Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    The 20 calories per minute refers to doing the Kettlebell Snatch. The American Council on Exercise proved that doing the snatch/swing burned 20.2 calories per minute.

“We estimated oxygen consumption and how many calories
    they were burning aerobically, and it was 13.6 calories per minute.
    But we also measured the blood lactate, so anaerobically they were
    burning another 6.6 calories per minute,” explains Porcari. “So
    they were burning at least 20.2 calories per minute, which is off
    the charts. That’s equivalent to running a 6-minute mile pace. The
    only other thing I could find that burns that many calories is crosscountry skiing up hill at a fast pace.”

Here is the link to the article on it: http://www.acefitness.org/getfit/studies/kettlebells012010.pdf

With that said, most people do KB Swing/Snatches in intervals. So, if you are doing equal work to rest for 30 minutes, you would only count 15 min of actually swinging.

Hope this helps,

Matt
    This.
  • DR2501
    DR2501 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

So you're saying if someone uses a heavy kettle bell for goblet squats or triceps kickbacks, that's nothing like weight training. Seriously?
    [/quote]

I think what the poster means is that kettlebells are made primarily to be used dynamically, so its strength training and cardio in one. For example snatches, clean and press, swings, high pulls, thrusters etc. Of course they can be used statically also as you suggest.

I log them as circuit training based on my HRM, I don't log them as strength training also/instead of.
  • ddixon503
    Options

[/quote]

I think what the poster means is that kettlebells are made primarily to be used dynamically, so its strength training and cardio in one. For example snatches, clean and press, swings, high pulls, thrusters etc. Of course they can be used statically also as you suggest.

I log them as circuit training based on my HRM, I don't log them as strength training also/instead of.
    [/quote]

Not nitpicking but only the OP can clarify their usage. The rest of us are simply assuming. You can use kettlebells in lieu of dumbbells so the comment "Kettlebells are not like lifting weights" is misleading on it's own without qualifying HOW you use them.
  • DR2501
    DR2501 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    You're right, but the poster I mentioned wasn't the OP....
  • ddixon503
    Options
    You're right, but the poster I mentioned wasn't the OP....

Fair enough.
  • HarleyQuinn26
    HarleyQuinn26 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I do kettebell exercise too... so I looked up some info online. Here is what I found, not sure how accurate:

The results showed that the average participant burned about 20 calories per minute during the kettlebell workout, which equates to 400 calories during a typical 20-minute kettlebell workout.

Found it on here: http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/news/20100212/kettlebell-workouts-burn-calaories-fast

I do kettlebell workouts but I have HRM so I just log it with that. I burned 14 calories in 1 min and 14 seconds this morning. The key term in that quote is the average participant. Everyone is different. Save up for a HRM and maybe log it under circuit training until you can get one?
  • scloyd
    scloyd Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/calories.htm <
    link to an exercise calculator for over 600 types of exercise and the calories burned. Maybe this will help.
  • strawberryvagablonde
    strawberryvagablonde Posts: 1 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    It's incredible to me that this thread, among others of the same subject, was started 5 years ago and this exercise still hasn't been added.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time believing it burns 20 calories a minute, and yes, the weight used would matter.

Even going all-out, it is hard for me to burn 10 calories a minute... That would have to be some extremely hardcore work.

I don't log anything over 10 cal/min, usually less.
  • croftie4
    croftie4 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I just set it up as my own exercise.

I was told at the KB studio that HRM don't register KB workouts very well.

I workout very hard and usually register between 15-18 cal burn to be safe. You need a Weight that is challenging and as someone else said doing the snatch or swing. Also you could do other moves in between swing sets.

• julie_broadhead
    julie_broadhead Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I do 2 different types of kettlebell workouts. Some are strength based and I log them as strength training. Others are with a lighter bell and higher intensity. With the program I use, these types of workouts call for a period of work followed by a period of rest. I log them as circuit training.
  • ndrwlxndr
    ndrwlxndr Posts: 1 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I know this is an old thread, but I'm a kettlebell instructor and would like to add some detail to the article mentioned. The 20 cal/minute is using a very specific protocol, where you do 15 seconds of work, 15 seconds of rest, for up to 40 minutes. And you must be using the proper weight of kettlebell for your fitness and strength level. It's very effective, but has to be done very specifically. And actually, the study by ACE wasn't done quite as well as it could have been. It was kinda vanilla, and you could take the intensity level up even more.

Other kettlebell training can be similar to circuit training, or it could be strength training depending on how heavy your bells are and the workout you're doing.
  • Frater_Nox
    Frater_Nox Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Yes, kettle bells are weirdly missing from the database. its as if they are heretical.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Necro thread, but here goes.

1. As above, the 20 cals per minute is a specific protocol
    2. With a specific load or range of loads
    3. If you're using too small of a bell, you're setting yourself up for bad form and injuries and minimal gains.
    4. It doesn't matter how smoked or tired you are after a training session, It matters what you did and if you're progressing over time.