Can't eat enough calories

Options
I am struggling with eating the goal calories for each day and my app keeps warning me that I am eating too few calories and could go into starvation mode. I walk my dog every day, and I jog 3.2+ miles every other day. When I first started, I lost about 5 pounds right away, now I seem to be keeping the same weight. I am not as concerned with what I weigh, I just want a slimmer looking figure and maybe go down in clothing sizes. How do I eat more calories? Is this what is causing my lack of weight loss? I am stumped & could really use some help. Thanks!

Replies

• xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    Start lifting weights. Lifting helps you recomposition your body, which means inches and fat loss but not necessarily scale/pounds lost.

For more info, open your diary to public so people can give you feedback on what you are eating.
  • LotusAsh
    LotusAsh Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    no such thing as starvation mode, focus on calorie dense food.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Peanut Butter!
  • Gingerkid05
    Gingerkid05 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Small things like sauting veggies in olive oil instead of steaming them would help. Add a shake to your routine maybe!

I find that planning the whole day out can help. If you start in the morning and log it all and then see it's not going to be enough then add a side to your lunch or throw an extra egg in your omlette if you'd like.

Good luck!
  • kierancahill52
    kierancahill52 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem and started adding porridge to my protein shakes. Just blend the Oats in an electric blender and add a scoop or two, to you shakes.
  • ElkeKNJ
    ElkeKNJ Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Hi, my second week in, and I have the same problem.
    My solution will be to pre-log everything the night before, guestimate, and adjust at the end of each finished day.
    Still early on, so still finding out what's ideal for me.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Many people think they must eat "healthy" and end up labeling foods as bad and avoiding them. There are no bad foods; just eat in moderation. Incorporate more calorie dense foods into your diet: cook veggies in oil, full fat milk, cheese, yogurt, put avocados or nuts on your salad, peanut butter (I seriously eat it off the spoon every morning), etc. Hell, when I have room left at the end of the day, I have a lovely bowl of ice cream/gelato to top me off. If chocolate is more your style, have a couple of squares of chocolate or a candy bar. Whatever works for you.
  • fushigi1988
    fushigi1988 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    lift weights, add more peanut butter, full-fat milk/yoghurt and ice cream.
  • NikiChicken
    NikiChicken Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    I usually don't have this problem AT ALL, but since switching to a new medication, I am having a really hard time getting in enough calories. This new med kills my appetite and makes me feel full and it difficult to eat enough. So, I am eating more calorie-dense foods to get more calories with less bulk. Cheese, nuts and avocados are some of my "go-to" foods. It doesn't take much to add up to a lot of calories, plus, they taste great! Also go with full fat versions of dairy products because they will add more calories without adding bulk (and they taste better!).

As far as not losing... Make sure you are weighing, measuring and tracking everything you eat correctly. If you don't have a food scale, get one! Often, not measuring and tracking correctly is the biggest culprit to not losing weight.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    You don't have much to lose, so the weight loss would/should be slower now.

With that said, could you open your diary for better advice?
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    I am struggling with eating the goal calories for each day and my app keeps warning me that I am eating too few calories and could go into starvation mode. I walk my dog every day, and I jog 3.2+ miles every other day. When I first started, I lost about 5 pounds right away, now I seem to be keeping the same weight. I am not as concerned with what I weigh, I just want a slimmer looking figure and maybe go down in clothing sizes. How do I eat more calories? Is this what is causing my lack of weight loss? I am stumped & could really use some help. Thanks!

First, open your diary please.

Do you use a food scale? If not, you are likely eating more calories than you think.

When you don't have much weight to lose to begin with, weight loss is much slower.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't be set to more than .5 lb lost per week.

If you are struggling to eat your calorie minimums (generally, 1,200) AND you're not losing weight, then you're probably eating more than you realize / overestimating your burns. You can't be below your calories and not losing weight. You must be netting your maintenance calories.

Do NOT eat more if you are not seeing results. Eating more will not help you lose more weight.
  • bloggymomx
    bloggymomx Posts: 72
    Options
    IMO, everyone's body is different. I've never had a problem with eating too few calories and stalling because of "starvation mode" and I don't really know anyone else who has. I think it just depends on the person and how their body works. I would say definitely try some muscle building exercises, that can help if your body DOES stall to prevent it slightly.