Where to buy clothes while losing and what to buy

Options

Replies

• icklistpiklist
    icklistpiklist Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I love ebay. I sell the items I've slimmed out of and use the money to buy new. There are plenty of never worn items for sale but if you can get over your dislike of preworn clothes there are even more bargains to be had!
  • tefleon
    tefleon Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I'd like to avoid used clothing, it just weirds me out and they never truly feel like they are mine.

Surely this is perfect then because you're not planing on keeping them. ;)
  • rebprest
    rebprest Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    If you really like the clothes you have, get a sewing machine and become a master seamstress. Alter them to fit you.

Hahahahhahahahhahahahahah. No.

Thank you so much for all of the great ideas. I'm really going to miss Lane Bryant and their super high waisted pants, sigh.
  • kristinkt
    kristinkt Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    I use many of the ideas already presented. Forever 21 has some good sales and clearance racks. The clearance rack at Kohl's and Ross tend to be my favorites. Congratulations on having this problem to deal with. And... I also find that I tend to buy the same staples in smaller sizes. Stick with what you will actually wear. Happy shopping!
  • rebprest
    rebprest Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I'd like to avoid used clothing, it just weirds me out and they never truly feel like they are mine.

Lol. You would think so. I feel like I've stolen someone else's life when I wear their clothes, it is very creepy to me.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options

Lol. You would think so. I feel like I've stolen someone else's life when I wear their clothes, it is very creepy to me.

Given your situation - not a lot of $$, losing weight so wearing clothes temporarily - I'd advise you, with all the sweetness in the world, to get over this :)

Seriously consignment or thrifted clothes are perfect for a situation like this. I should also point out that I have bought MANY items of clothing at thrift stores with tags still on them. <side note: losing weight made me a thrift store queen; I have amazing, very expensive pieces I got for a fraction of the cost of new, which is awesome considering I had to build an entire new wardrobe in my current size, and I didn't want cheap throwaway Target clothes - I am staying at this size so I want the good labels!>

I also wore a lot of dresses while I was losing weight. Wrap dresses in particular were very forgiving of weight loss; I actually still wear a couple that fit when I weighed 50 pounds more than I do now.
  • heather_hearts_travel
    heather_hearts_travel Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    eBay! Thrift!

Wash them when you get them home. They'll smell like your detergent/fabric softener. You'll never know they didn't begin their lives in your closet.

Seriously, you can get some great deals at thrift stores and online. If you look around, you can find some things that ARE new and still have tags. I got a Lane Bryant sweater for $3 that still had the security tag! Though I DID find that one questionable... :)
  • Teresa_3266
    Teresa_3266 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I am a huge online shopper. I love Woman Within, One Stop Plus, Avenue, Macy's, Dress Barn, etc. I shop the clearance section and have bought lots of clothes super cheap.
  • Cardio4Cupcakes
    Cardio4Cupcakes Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I know you don't like cosignment but you're going to get the best bang for your buck. Just yesterday I bought a pair of Banana Republic Martin Fit pants- normally $90, got them for $12. You can't beat that.

Otherwise, shop at Oldnavy, especially only where they have more sizes. You can return for free at the store.
  • _funrungirl
    _funrungirl Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Thrift stores, Target, Walmat, Ebay.

Host a clothing swap.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Old Navy has great options that aren't very expensive, especially if you can catch one of their sales. And there are tons of options in your size because you can shop Women's or Women's plus.

This! Cheap clothes made from the tears of orphans in a sweat shop.

I shop there all the time.
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    I have had excellent luck at Macy's. I buy a used macy's gift card online for 14% off of the face value (not from ebay but from a legit giftcard recycling site) Then I wait for a sale where I can use a coupon. They will often have $20 off of $50 or 25% off total purchase. If they have $20.00 off of 50 you can get two and do separate transactions. They'll also often give you an additional % off if you use your macy's credit card... BUT the Macy's gift card will ALSO count as part of that promotion so you will qualify for the additional % off if you use the gift card. Add all of this to shopping on the 80% off racks and you walk out with your clothing being practically free. I got 10 $80.00 tops for five bucks each! I bought some that were too small also and I have shrunk into them.

My sister consigns her old clothes and takes store credit to buy new. My old clothes aren't really in good enough shape to consign so I give them to goodwill, but it works for her.

I LOVE the goodwill stores. You really have to look hard to find the good pieces but if you have the time and enjoy shopping, you can get a whole new wardrobe for $50.00
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    I go to Goodwill, the nice one where the rich women drop off clothes, or I get stuff on clearance at Target, or I attend clothing swaps with friends and pick up stuff for free. I also find some bargains on Amazon.
  • CorlissaEats
    CorlissaEats Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Look for clearance sales if you dont like thrift stores, and then only buy what you NEED. As I have dropped sizes I have gotten 2 pairs of black pants in each size. I dont see the need to spend a fortune for each range. I am still wearing many of the same tops I wore 45lbs ago, and all of the same dresses. I started in a size 14 and 16 and now I am in a 8 or a 10. I just bought new black pants for work and got reg $50-60 pants for $10/pair. If you get different but standard black pants people dont notice when you wear them multiple times in a week.

I wore the previous size until they were so baggy that I was forced to shop, but then I've also discovered that I hate shopping, especially alone. Getting smaller hasnt changed that. Until I have an idea of my final size, I dont want to invest tons of money in clothes I am only going to wear a few months before I donate them.
  • purplemama16
    Options
    Anybody have some recommendations for Canadian stores for office-appropriate clothes that won't break the bank? I, too, have dropped 2 sizes, but plan on dropping a few more before I'm ready to invest in a new wardrobe.

One thing that has really worked for me so far and is super fun is hosting a clothing swap for all my friends. If you've never held one before, here's how it works: Everyone goes through their closet for clothes they never wear. This can be for any number of reasons like they are too small, too big, the style doesn't suit them, the colour isn't as flattering as they thought when they bought them, etc. Everyone picks a spot in the house and spreads out their "donations". We open wine and start trying on clothes. You MUST model them for your friends (ok, maybe not "must", but it's a lot more fun, especially with wine :) It becomes like a fashion show). It really helps to see the same outfit on a few people to see what body type that item of clothing fits best. (Believe me, now that we've held several of these, we all have a much clearer idea of what we each should be wearing, without having to go through that awful shopping pressure in a retail store with a skinny little clerk half your age knocking on the changing room door, asking if you're all right, while you're trying to struggle with a zipper! C'mon - we've all been there!). This is really fun with girlfriends of all sizes. When something fits right and suits you, everybody agrees and heaps praise on you. It's awesome! When something is so very, very wrong, your girlfriends will tell you, and you can all have a laugh about just how bad it looks on you. Funnily enough though, more often than not, someone else will then try on the same piece and it's perfect for them. It's amazing how many times we've all been surprised at trying on something that we would never touch in a store, but it turns out looks smashing on just the right person. You keep any items that you want, and at the end of the night everyone has the option to take their own leftover "donations" home, or leave them with the host. The host then truly does donate the leftovers to a women's shelter or other charity. We've included purse, shoes, jewellry, and other accessories as well. (I think someone even brought teapots to one swap!) If you take something home that you don't end up wearing, or that no longer fits you, just bring it back to the next clothing swap. (I've seen some pieces go through 3 or 4 ladies as they change sizes or go through pregnancies.) At the end of the night we usually all walk away with at least one new item for our wardrobes, room in our closet, and a good feeling about having donated clothes to the less fortunate. Plus, we've had a terrific night with our friends.
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    So I need to lose about 100 lbs total. I've lost about 18 so far (2 months) and I've gone down a size in pants to a 16. I'm anticipating needing new pants soon, all mine are really baggy at the waist and butt, so a belt won't really help. My shirts will probably last at least another size and the dresses and skirts hopefully will last longer. I usually shop at Lane Bryant because they have my size and beautiful styles with good quality. Obviously I can't replace my wardrobes several times over paying $60 for each shirt, skirt and pair of jeans each, and I think they only go down to a size 12 anyway. If my rate of weight loss continues, I'm going to need to replace at least my pants every 3-4 months for a while. Where should I bee shopping for this? Where did you shop?

*I am wicked poor, my current wardrobe was accumulated over a period of 7 years and much of it was gifted to me or purchased by my mom. Sadly, that's not an option now lol.
    Uh.... a consignment/second hand store?
  • knitknitknit
    knitknitknit Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    If you have one in your area, H&M is great for cheap clothes.
  • sassyjae21
    sassyjae21 Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    Old Navy, Ross, Gordman's Marshalls, Walmart, Target, TJ Maxx
  • kateandkevin
    kateandkevin Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Maurices is my favorite store. They typically have a 75% off section and always have a large 40% off section. I only shop on clearance, but now that I'm losing weight, it's even more imperative that I do so.
  • oxers
    oxers Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    In for Ross and Forever21. I wear a LOT of dresses because they're easy, fast, comfortable and they last a little longer before you size in or out - dresses are more forgiving than fitted jeans or whatever. Usually I can find something at either of those stores for $15-20 a pop.

Old Navy is good for jeans and tank tops, but I don't usually bother with anything else from there. Their sizing is a little.. wonky.