Flatout breads?

Options
rwieber
rwieber Posts: 188 Member
I've tried the Light Italian herb 90 cal flatout bread. It's ok but I'm wondering if there is something tastier out there? Thanks!!

Replies

• jensan37
    jensan37 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I've only tried the 90 calorie plain ones... just OK in my opinion.
  • Aimee71B
    Aimee71B Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I like the multigrain with flax seed. I use them as pizza crust and cut one in half for a PB&J sandwich.
  • rebeccawesterfield5
    rebeccawesterfield5 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I love the multi grain with flax seed ones, they are so filling and tasty. I toast mine before eating, if I make a sandwich type wrap. Or I heat in the oven with pizza or quesadilla toppings, just bake at 350 for about 5 minutes.
  • lukewind
    lukewind Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I've tried the Light Italian herb 90 cal flatout bread. It's ok but I'm wondering if there is something tastier out there? Thanks!!

They have a sun-dried tomato one as well that is decent.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I like the multi-grain w/ flax best as I can use them for everything. The sundried tomato and Italian are ok but not great for a PB and banana roll-up. My fave thing to do with these is to add a few slices of deli meat, a slice of pepperjack and a big handful of baby romaine and/or spinach.

Another good 100 calorie alternative for sandwiches that I like are either the Deli Thins or Bagel Thins. They're perfect with the pre-packaged thin sliced deli meats by Oscar Mayer or WalMart/Great Value. If you like a mix of sweet and savory, there's nothing like ham/turkey and cheese on a cinnamon raisin bagel. YUMMY!
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    I'm wondering if there is something tastier out there? Thanks!!

Bread
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I'm wondering if there is something tastier out there? Thanks!!

Bread

Cut the crusts, grab a rolling pin, and you can make it flat. And for only 80 calories a slice.
  • rwieber
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I love sourdough bread but the calories add up. At least the flatbread has more protein and less carbs in them. I make a sandwich/burrito looking thing. Hummus, turkey or ham, spinach or romaine, tomato and roll it up. Pretty tasty and filing and overall not a ton of calories.
  • Collier78
    Collier78 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I use the rosemary and olive oil one for sammiches...Tastes great to me it's 100 calories. Otherwise I do what husky said and cut the crust off and roll it out...with pumpernickel..mmmm
  • JenniferCPC
    Options
    I like the Flatout Soft Wheat. They are 100 calories. I have some of the 90 calorie Italian one's in my fridge but have not tried them yet.

I first tried Ole Extreme Wellness wraps and hated them, they were like a half cooked tortilla to me (very doughy).
  • BlueStarBoi
    BlueStarBoi Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    The low cal flat wraps are good, only 60 calories for a wrap plus has baked in chia seeds in them. they cost around 5.89 for a pack of 6. I prefer those over the flatout.
  • Cathalain
    Cathalain Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I like Joseph's brand of flax, oat bran and whole wheat lavash. It's large enough so that you can cut one in half and you can use it for wraps, sandwiches, just about anything. It's 50 calories for half a slice and tastes great. I used these all the time when I was first diagnosed as diabetic and I had to find a substitute for regular bread. I don't need to do that anymore but I still eat it, as it tastes great.

If you want something that looks more like regular bread, I like the Nature's Harvest Light brand (whole wheat or multigrain). 40 calories a slice and tastes great. You can find this at Harris Teeter supermarkets (or their equivalent in your area).

Not impressed so much with the Flatouts - they tasted a little doughy to me.
  • veggieluvr45
    veggieluvr45 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I like Joseph's brand of flax, oat bran and whole wheat lavash. It's large enough so that you can cut one in half and you can use it for wraps, sandwiches, just about anything. It's 50 calories for half a slice and tastes great. I used these all the time when I was first diagnosed as diabetic and I had to find a substitute for regular bread. I don't need to do that anymore but I still eat it, as it tastes great.

If you want something that looks more like regular bread, I like the Nature's Harvest Light brand (whole wheat or multigrain). 40 calories a slice and tastes great. You can find this at Harris Teeter supermarkets (or their equivalent in your area).

Not impressed so much with the Flatouts - they tasted a little doughy to me.

I like the Joseph's also, it is like real bread. And I agree about the Flatout....to me they are gummy and gritty at the same time, like eating chewing gum and sand.:tongue:
  • eimaj5575
    eimaj5575 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Natures own 40 calorie bread is pretty good and I just started eating Toufayan smart pockets whole wheat which are 80 calories and very yummy.
  • rwieber
    Options
    Some excellent ideas for options.....thanks!!! I'll have to check my supermarket to see what's available by me!!
  • amy_kee
    amy_kee Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I'm real surprised that so many people don't like the Flatout products. I buy Flatout Flatbread and I get the 90 calorie ones. They have 9 g of protein and 9 grams of fiber. I use them all the time in roll up type of things and find them real tasty. I have that with 2 TBLS hummus, 2 slices of tomato, and a bunch of fresh spinach on top. That is real good. I also eat the Flatout Flatbread with shreaded chicken breast, mixed with 2 TBLS BBQ sauce---delicious.

If I want a sandwich, I eat Sara Lee 45 Calories & Delightful 100% Whole Wheat bread. To me, this bread tastes better than a couple other brands that have 40 calorie bread. Also, you get more bread for your money with the Sara Lee one.
  • gweneddk
    gweneddk Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I always just buy the light multigrain flavor. The macros are great. Mostly I use them for pizzas or occasionally quesadilla type things. I don't care for the other flavors much.

I used to order Mama Lupe's low carb tortillas from netrition and I like how they taste better than the flat outs, but I can't buy them locally.

I don't eat much bread but I do sometimes do Ezekiel wraps or bread, whole grain english muffins, or bagel things when they're on sale.