Brussels Sprouts?

Options

Replies

• kamaperry
    kamaperry Posts: 885 Member
    Options
    Steam them and eat with butter and garlic!
  • abyt42
    abyt42 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    I love kale & brussels sprout salad (http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Kale-Brussels-Sprout-Salad-368295).
    Like so many others here, I love them roasted.

I also love them steamed, then cooled, as part of a vegetable tray (with a lemony dip). (When my kids were about four, I came home from work to find them eating a mixing bowl full of cold, steamed sprouts I'd prepped in the morning as my contribution to a pot luck.)

My first brussels sprouts favorite, though, was steamed sprouts mixed with stone ground mustard and a little butter. My mom simplified a Bon Appetit recipe (which had all sorts of ingredients....essentially, you were making a mustard dressing starting from mustard seeds and shallots...) by just plopping mustard on them. Horseradish mustard's my favorite.
  • Cardio4Cupcakes
    Cardio4Cupcakes Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I have some brussel sprouts with my lunch today, sorry to my coworkers
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    So yummy roasted! Just a little olive oil, cracked black pepper, and a good sprinkle of sea salt!

This. I put a little Balsalmic glaze on top. That's the only way I can eat brussel sprouts
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    So yummy roasted! Just a little olive oil, cracked black pepper, and a good sprinkle of sea salt!

This. I put a little Balsalmic glaze on top. That's the only way I can eat brussel sprouts

Only thing I hate it makes me sooooooo freakin gassy!
  • ericarfloyd
    ericarfloyd Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Broil them in the oven after they are tossed with olive oil and pepper! I usually add carrots to broil as well! Always a hit!
  • purplemama16
    Options
    MY mother taught me to simmer them in a pot with enough milk to cover them and a little nutmeg. The milk draws out the sulfur flavour, so drain them thouroughy before serving. They are tender and mild, with an earthy flavour. We think of them as a special-occasion dish!
  • 1mrsbrandy
    Options
    I boil mine with butter and sweet and low until they are soft. My kids even eat them and ask for more.
  • sc003ro
    sc003ro Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Roast them in oven ...alittle olive oil and sea salt
  • I_need_moar_musclez
    I_need_moar_musclez Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Cut the ends off. Score a cross into the end. Boil.

Old school.

Man, I'm craving sprouts now!!!
  • Terrappyn1
    Terrappyn1 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Never thought of adding a little parm. I bet that is phenomenal!
  • EvenThatNameIsTaken
    EvenThatNameIsTaken Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Honestly I love them just steamed, with some carrots and perhaps mushrooms. It may be boring but it's also a nice gentle way to cook them, and you don't have to add anymore calories with oil or butter. The higher quality the brussel sprouts, the better they will taste without adding more ingredients.
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options

YEP! Love them this way. I usually cut them into halves.

To dress it up for special occasions: after roasting you can saute' them with onions, red bell pepper, bacon bits, and a teensy bit of chicken broth.
  • sympha01
    sympha01 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    Roasted brussels sprouts 4 EVA! I like to toss them with a dressing made of equal parts mustard, lemon juice, and olive oil first. Roast at 400' for 30 minutes or so. Crispy and sweet and savory all at once, mmm.

Don't steam them, ewwwww!
  • Kat5343
    Kat5343 Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Bacon... shallots.. and chicken broth.. best recipe for Brussel's sprouts ever!!
  • RAWR_ImaDinosaur
    RAWR_ImaDinosaur Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    sliced, drizzled with olive oil and balsamic vinegar, covered in garlic and cooked bacon. Then roast until they're done
  • ShannonS921
    ShannonS921 Posts: 194
    Options

^This. Plus a little minced garlic!

My FAVORITE veggie!!
  • sweetsarahj
    sweetsarahj Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Roasted in the oven with onions and sausages, coconut oil, garlic.
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    Roasted with balsamic & garlic. . sprinkle with parm
  • mitsia
    mitsia Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    They taste kind of like small cabbages. Your whole house might smell like farts for a day or two after you make them, but they are delicious, prepared well. If you don't like them the first way, try them another way next time. I think roasting gives the best flavor, because it caramelizes them on the outside and makes them feel very decadent when they're actually low-cal and incredibly healthy!