Quest candy bars.

Options

Replies

• NCSteveVH
    NCSteveVH Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    No problem, I just think it needs to be known, glad I could shed some light on things. It’s just aggravating someone like me can gain weight REALLY easily so even when I'm maintaining I track everything I eat. I am also a slow loser and secret "hidden, no-counted" calories started to cause weight loss plateaus. Also consider things like sugar substitute and PAM, they are NOT calorie free. They are however allowed to claim calorie free based on the serving size (PAM's serving size is 1/3 second spray, who uses that little?) The FDA considers the calories negligible but say you spray PAM on your pans for 3 meals, use maybe 5 packets of sweetener and eat a Quest Bar and BAM! You just added around 100 calories you don’t even know about! Do that 7 days a week, add in a few extras on the weekends because you have done so good with your tracking; You think you are doing everything right but then you stall...sometimes maybe you are doing everything right but you don’t have all the information in front of you, ugh... off my soapbox now just frustrated with food companies.

Wow, I eat a Quest bar per day, use several packets of "non-calorie" artificial sweetener in my coffee every morning, and spray a hefty amount of "non-calorie" Pam in my skillet before making my daily omlette. Never knew any of this! Thanks for sharing; I'll be adjusting my MFP entries to account for these hidden calories....
  • LianaG1115
    LianaG1115 Posts: 453 Member
    Options

Macro Breakdown--> protein: 21g (21 X 4 = 84), Fat: 7g (7 X 9 =63), Carbs: 22 (22 X 4 =88)

What is all this stuff?? I'm learning macros now, so I'm not getting where you got the 4, 9, and 4 numbers?? Can ya help me out? Thanks.

1 g protein has 4 calories
    1 g fat has 9 calories
    1 g carbs has 4 calories
    Awesome thanks for explaining!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    There's 21 g carbs, 21 g protein, and 17 g fiber in the chocolate chip cookie dough Quest bar.
    Exactly my point. That's a ton of carbs for a "protein bar".

You are failing to see that there are only 4 g NET CARBS in the bar.

You must not know how to calculate net carbs… So I'll teach you… total carbs - fiber = net carbs.

I'm not failing to see anything. Thanks though. I'll deal with subtracting net carbs when I see enough peer reviewed evidence showing that it is reasonable to do so. Not some snarky post. :)
  • dbmata
    Options

Macro Breakdown--> protein: 21g (21 X 4 = 84), Fat: 7g (7 X 9 =63), Carbs: 22 (22 X 4 =88)

What is all this stuff?? I'm learning macros now, so I'm not getting where you got the 4, 9, and 4 numbers?? Can ya help me out? Thanks.

1 g protein has 4 calories
    1 g fat has 9 calories
    1 g carbs has 4 calories
    Awesome thanks for explaining!

Keep that in mind when looking at macro counts. It's great knowledge to know even though it does lack a little precision. :)
  • dbmata
    Options
    Those things any good? Looks like a 1:1 protein to carb ratio.

How is the taste? Digestability? Looking at these right now.
    http://www.questnutrition.com/protein-bars/cookies-and-cream/?type=box

Yes, very.

Put on wax paper and in microwave for ~12 sec. Enjoy

No microwave! We got rid of that a few years back. ;) I did toss them in the freezer though, that'll be a good test for them.
  • ds1007
    ds1007 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Cookie dough is the greatest low carb thing ever created. I order them by the box!
  • ds1007
    ds1007 Posts: 67 Member
    Options

Yes, to some of us. They go for 35 bucks for a box of 12 where I live. It's ridiculous. However, I've only ever gone to buy some once, and the only flavor out of the four I chose that I LOVED was the cookie dough one (because when cold, it tastes like real cookie dough, haha). I'd personally only ever buy them if super cheap.

I also buy pure protein bars, as someone mentioned above. I think they're pretty decent, as well.

I order them off Amazon - $24.99 per box & free shipping with Prime
  • dance_and_barbells
    Options
    I love cookie dough and white chocolate raspberry. Apple pie is a fav as well. I really want to try cookies & creme.
    I put them in the microwave for 10-15 seconds and they are delicious. Not so delicious if they aren't heated though.
  • b7bbs
    b7bbs Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Quest Protein Bars are AMAZING! I buy them by the box. My favorites are the cinnamon bun and apple pie. I have tried all of them except the lemon one so far. They are excellent.
  • gweneddk
    gweneddk Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I was a bigger fan of them until I actually calculated the macros on them and the calories listed on the label are way off. Most bars average around 240 calories, so not really the great calorie saver "treat" I once thought they were.

Take cookies and cream just as an example since its the new craze:
    Labeled Calories: 180

84 + 63 + 88 = 235 Calories, not 180 that’s a discrepancy of 55 calories, yes this occurs will a lot of our American food products because technically fiber calories are subtractable but this has turned me off from the brand completely. I guess I'm just glad I always count macros and not calories.

I can not thank you enough for this. I have found that pretty much every label is incorrect and NOT in my favor! Huff!!

The labeling is not incorrect at all. In the US, companies subtract a portion of the carbohydrates that come from fiber from the calorie count. It's not intended to be misleading and it is not the fault of the brand; EVERY label is calculated this way. Fiber is good for you, and is only partially digested. Hence, you really do not absorb 4 cal/g from fiber as you do from other carbs. The fiber used in Quest bars is used to bulk and bind the bar and really doesn't make them "high in carbs" like a traditional protein bar that is full of sugar.

So to the OP: the carb/protein ratio is nowhere near 1:1 (and I would argue that most candy is probably way higher like 5:1 or 10:1)

I tried to get my mother in law to eat them instead of "candy" protein bars and she claims that they are too dry or she can't swallow them. I will say the texture varies from flavor to flavor (and especially varies depending on if the bars are from the regular or "all natural" lines) and gets worse over time (ie, they go "stale").

I signed up for a GNC gold membership and periodically get $5 or $10 coupons which I used to get a better deal.

ETA: clarification on fiber and comment on flavors/deals
  • dbmata
    Options
    Well, looking at the 21/22 protein to carb, we're left at sub 1. Should really be better than that, but hey, they're great little snacks it seems. :)
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    Well, looking at the 21/22 protein to carb, we're left at sub 1. Should really be better than that, but hey, they're great little snacks it seems. :)

Do they fit in your daily goals and macros??

If so, eat and enjoy
  • gweneddk
    gweneddk Posts: 183 Member
    Options

You really don't need to count the fiber if you're looking at ratios. So it's ~20g of protein to ~5 g of [net] carbs. 4 times as much protein as carbs.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I'll pick a few up then, I tend to avoid protein bars, because most are just candy bars. From a few of my recent workouts though, I can use a little bit extra fuel and I'd rather not eat a snickers or a gu. The carb count is ridiculously high on them, but that is an excellent protein count.

So the flavors worth trying are:
    Cookies and Cream
    Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough

How is the peanut butter? I'm not a fan of raspberry.
    I see Apple Pie mentioned too, which would be good if I had a little cheddar...

ETA - and thanks for the commentary.

My personal favorites are the Chocolate Brownie and the Chocolate Peanut Butter. Mixed Berry Bliss isn't too bad but i don't like the crunchier things in them. Same with the Chocolate chip cookie dough and Chocolate chunk, the chunks are a little too big for my preference.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Taste great, but expensive.

Is $2.49 really expensive?

Yes, to some of us. They go for 35 bucks for a box of 12 where I live. It's ridiculous. However, I've only ever gone to buy some once, and the only flavor out of the four I chose that I LOVED was the cookie dough one (because when cold, it tastes like real cookie dough, haha). I'd personally only ever buy them if super cheap.

I also buy pure protein bars, as someone mentioned above. I think they're pretty decent, as well.

$25 a box off of Amazon
  • kayla554
    kayla554 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Is there any difference between a quest protein bar and a whey protein shake?
  • CanGirl40
    CanGirl40 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    My guilty pleasure:

A chocolate chip cookie dough quest bar with 5 chocolate chips on top - melt for 7 seconds in microwave. You won't believe it's a "protein bar"...unbelievable!!!
  • kikityme
    kikityme Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I was a bigger fan of them until I actually calculated the macros on them and the calories listed on the label are way off. Most bars average around 240 calories, so not really the great calorie saver "treat" I once thought they were.

Take cookies and cream just as an example since its the new craze:
    Labeled Calories: 180

84 + 63 + 88 = 235 Calories, not 180 that’s a discrepancy of 55 calories, yes this occurs will a lot of our American food products because technically fiber calories are subtractable but this has turned me off from the brand completely. I guess I'm just glad I always count macros and not calories.

I can not thank you enough for this. I have found that pretty much every label is incorrect and NOT in my favor! Huff!!

The labeling is not incorrect at all. In the US, companies subtract a portion of the carbohydrates that come from fiber from the calorie count. It's not intended to be misleading and it is not the fault of the brand; EVERY label is calculated this way. Fiber is good for you, and is only partially digested. Hence, you really do not absorb 4 cal/g from fiber as you do from other carbs. The fiber used in Quest bars is used to bulk and bind the bar and really doesn't make them "high in carbs" like a traditional protein bar that is full of sugar.

I don't know, there's something off about them. The numbers look good on paper, but I tried 3, on 3 separate days and each time they spiked my blood sugar by 50 points. Eating pancakes and syrup doesn't spike my blood sugar that high.
  • tmpecus78
    tmpecus78 Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options
    There's 21 g carbs, 21 g protein, and 17 g fiber in the chocolate chip cookie dough Quest bar.
    Exactly my point. That's a ton of carbs for a "protein bar".

That is a ton of carbs for a protein bar? You obviously haven't look at protein bar labels often. The typical/average protein bar on the market has 30-45+ grams of carbs per bar w/ an average of 15-35grams of sugar and/or sugar alcohols and only an average of 4-6g of fiber. Questbars aren't even close to those numbers. Just go to bodybuilding.com and do a simple search and take a look for yourself.