Replies

• salzej01
    salzej01 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Bump to read at home!
  • moment_to_arise
    moment_to_arise Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    i wouldn't trust any of the doorways in my house to put a pull up bar in... it makes me sad... i have to deal with doing the assisted ones on the counter balance at the gym 3 times a week....
  • jesiann2014
    jesiann2014 Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    bump
  • icrushit
    icrushit Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    I just had this conversation with a coworker. I used to run a bookstore for over a decade, and I still like the way a book feels, so I haven't gotten a Kindle yet.

On a more related note, I really like startbodyweight.com for bodyweight progressions.

Yeah, books are nice. I like the kindle for easily carry-able fiction, but do like books too, especially when I know the title is something I will read again, and want a physical copy for easy reference :)

Great link by the way, had not come across that one before, and looks good. Will look further in depth into it tomorrow, but like what I see so far :)
    Good luck. I did a search on Bookfinder.com, which has been my go to for years and there just aren't that many affordably priced copies out there - you were right about that.

I just ordered the startbodyweight.com poster because the progressions on there seem to round out the holes in Convict Conditioning.

And I can't stress enough the ease of using CC on the Kindle/computer/phone. Where ever I am, I have at least one fully charged device that can access it without having to drag the book around. :)

Yeah, its a pity about reasonably priced copies. A friend shared a little of his copy with me, and I know its a book I want to buy, so would love to kick some money back to the author, but I still baulk at the likes of $40 for an inprint paperback :(

Thats two mentions of startbodyweight.com now, something that can't be a bad thing! :)

Yes, you make a very good point about the e-copy. I was only thinking about the kindle I must admit, which I'm not inclined to use to read CC, but having it readily accessible on the phone is a different matter, and may actually go this route :) Must download the kindle app for the phone and play around with it - thanks again :)
  • icrushit
    icrushit Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    Oh, apologies to the OP for any perceived thread hijacking on my part, but am guessing any of us interested in chinups/ pullups shall probably benefit from more info out there on bodyweight exercises in general :)
  • steve0820
    steve0820 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I agree a lot with the "hang out" point from that article. Isometric work helped me a lot with my progression. If you can't hold you own bodyweight, then you won't be able to pull yourself.

Holding the position at different stages of the pull. You can also jump up and hold at the top position, hold 3-5 secs, lower, hold, lower hold.

And as other people suggested, do them , and do them often.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    Good article.

I'd add:

negatives. Jump up and lower yourself down as slowly as possible. (can be done with a band also)

anti shrugs: from a dead hang over hand grip, let the shoulders rise so they are close to ears and then contract lats to raise your torso a couple of inchese. Hold at top for a few seconds. This works the hardest part of the chinup (for women especially) the bottom position.

I see many people who can do half chin-ups but from a dead hang just can't move.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Good article.

I'd add:

negatives. Jump up and lower yourself down as slowly as possible. (can be done with a band also)

anti shrugs: from a dead hang over hand grip, let the shoulders rise so they are close to ears and then contract lats to raise your torso a couple of inchese. Hold at top for a few seconds. This works the hardest part of the chinup (for women especially) the bottom position.

I see many people who can do half chin-ups but from a dead hang just can't move.

Great tip. I struggle to pack my shoulders.
  • aliakynes
    aliakynes Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I've been working on mine with start bodyweight: http://www.startbodyweight.com/p/pull-up-progression.html

I'm going through the progressions with an adjustable band assistant (gives me a little boost) and am hoping to graduate from it before the end of the year.
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    bump