Quest candy bars.

Options

Replies

• gweneddk
    gweneddk Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Is there any difference between a quest protein bar and a whey protein shake?

The fiber and chewing action makes them more filling than a shake in general. But the main ingredients are whey protein + fiber so you might be able to get the same thing by adding a bunch of fiber to a whey shake. I just don't think that the fiber they use is available for purchase to the general public.

I don't eat that many of them to be honest, probably 1/week. But I like them much better than any alternative I've tried. Although I've been doing Epic bars occasionally when I need some portable protein.
  • Acidique
    Acidique Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Update! I tried the cookies and cream bar for the first time at lunch. Actually not too bad! I'd eat it again. If the other flavors I got are at least that good, I'll consider buying a box later on. I probably won't eat them daily, but a couple of times a week when I'm too busy to pack a better snack. Convenient.

:)
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    That is a ton of carbs for a protein bar?
    Yup. I'm sorry, I must not have been clear.

That is an excessive amount of carbs for something being marketed as a protein source. Which is why, in my consideration, they are essentially candy. The Quest bars seem to be the best of the bunch though, which is why for the moment, until I find something better they get the nod over another candy product, Gu for what I'm doing. I invite you to take a look at the labeling of "protein bars", if protein isn't the largest macro, it's pretty much not a protein bar. :)
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    Is there any difference between a quest protein bar and a whey protein shake?

Got to look at nutrition label
  • FitMelody4Life
    FitMelody4Life Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I was a bigger fan of them until I actually calculated the macros on them and the calories listed on the label are way off. Most bars average around 240 calories, so not really the great calorie saver "treat" I once thought they were.

Take cookies and cream just as an example since its the new craze:
    Labeled Calories: 180

Macro Breakdown--> protein: 21g (21 X 4 = 84), Fat: 7g (7 X 9 =63), Carbs: 22 (22 X 4 =88)

84 + 63 + 88 = 235 Calories, not 180 that’s a discrepancy of 55 calories, yes this occurs will a lot of our American food products because technically fiber calories are subtractable but this has turned me off from the brand completely. I guess I'm just glad I always count macros and not calories.

I can not thank you enough for this. I have found that pretty much every label is incorrect and NOT in my favor! Huff!!

The labeling is not incorrect at all. In the US, companies subtract a portion of the carbohydrates that come from fiber from the calorie count. It's not intended to be misleading and it is not the fault of the brand; EVERY label is calculated this way. Fiber is good for you, and is only partially digested. Hence, you really do not absorb 4 cal/g from fiber as you do from other carbs. The fiber used in Quest bars is used to bulk and bind the bar and really doesn't make them "high in carbs" like a traditional protein bar that is full of sugar.

I don't know, there's something off about them. The numbers look good on paper, but I tried 3, on 3 separate days and each time they spiked my blood sugar by 50 points. Eating pancakes and syrup doesn't spike my blood sugar that high.

Some information from the Quest Bar Lawsuit:
    http://www.strengthsociety.com/quest-bar-nutrition-lawsuit/
  • FitMelody4Life
    Options
    I was a bigger fan of them until I actually calculated the macros on them and the calories listed on the label are way off. Most bars average around 240 calories, so not really the great calorie saver "treat" I once thought they were.

Take cookies and cream just as an example since its the new craze:
    Labeled Calories: 180

Macro Breakdown--> protein: 21g (21 X 4 = 84), Fat: 7g (7 X 9 =63), Carbs: 22 (22 X 4 =88)

84 + 63 + 88 = 235 Calories, not 180 that’s a discrepancy of 55 calories, yes this occurs will a lot of our American food products because technically fiber calories are subtractable but this has turned me off from the brand completely. I guess I'm just glad I always count macros and not calories.

I can not thank you enough for this. I have found that pretty much every label is incorrect and NOT in my favor! Huff!!

The labeling is not incorrect at all. In the US, companies subtract a portion of the carbohydrates that come from fiber from the calorie count. It's not intended to be misleading and it is not the fault of the brand; EVERY label is calculated this way. Fiber is good for you, and is only partially digested. Hence, you really do not absorb 4 cal/g from fiber as you do from other carbs. The fiber used in Quest bars is used to bulk and bind the bar and really doesn't make them "high in carbs" like a traditional protein bar that is full of sugar.

I don't know, there's something off about them. The numbers look good on paper, but I tried 3, on 3 separate days and each time they spiked my blood sugar by 50 points. Eating pancakes and syrup doesn't spike my blood sugar that high.

Also a link to the lab reports, you can dowload the PDF for the full report: http://www.strengthsociety.com/quest-bar-lab-results/
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    tried a corner of one ... not worth it.

I don't care for most protein bars in general- I have started eating the Nature Valley "protein chewy bar"
    I have been eating the PB dark chocolate one- about 190 calories and 10 grams protein + 14 grams of carbs + 12 grams of fat. Pretty much it's just nuts with some PB and chocolate- but that's exactly what it looks like- a trail mix/nut bar with a chocolate base. It's a perfect post lift/pre dance snack- easy- portable- and tasty.

They cost me 3.99/5.99? for a box of 10 I think. No way I could cough up 25-35$ for a box.
  • kikityme
    kikityme Posts: 472 Member
    Options

Also a link to the lab reports, you can dowload the PDF for the full report: http://www.strengthsociety.com/quest-bar-lab-results/
    [/quote]

Interesting. But a lawsuit? Sheesh. I just stopped eating them.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    A lawsuit?! Wow.
  • r524reed
    r524reed Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    If it wasn't for the chocolate chip cookie dough Quest bar, I would probably have gone insane a long time ago trying to cut out junk. They are amazing.

Totally. They are awesome. Warmed up 10 secs. Yummy !!!
  • gweneddk
    gweneddk Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    That is a ton of carbs for a protein bar?
    Yup. I'm sorry, I must not have been clear.

That is an excessive amount of carbs for something being marketed as a protein source. Which is why, in my consideration, they are essentially candy. The Quest bars seem to be the best of the bunch though, which is why for the moment, until I find something better they get the nod over another candy product, Gu for what I'm doing. I invite you to take a look at the labeling of "protein bars", if protein isn't the largest macro, it's pretty much not a protein bar. :)

Most protein bars honestly have more carbs than protein. *Shrug*

I'm a little bit confused that you keep talking about Gu being an alternative--isn't that purely a carbohydrate source with zero protein? "Energy gels" and the like are mostly useful for people doing 2+hours of continuous activity such as long endurance races.
  • tmpecus78
    tmpecus78 Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options

Merely a civil lawsuit by one man accusing of false labeling its fiber content. Anyone for that matter can open a civil lawsuit against a company and make a claim as such. Isomaltooligosaccharide or IMO (for short) is a multifunctional health molecule which exerts positive effects on human digestive health. There are numerous scientific papers available about the role of IMO as prebiotic, least flatulence (i.e., generating least gas), low Glycemic index, and Anti-caries Activities. In the state of California you can count this as the total dietary fiber content of a product. In general this "civil lawsuit" is merely an accusation by one man. Nothing more, nothing less.

Quote by QuestNutrition:
    “Quest has been named in a lawsuit regarding our fiber count. It is our belief and conviction that this lawsuit is without merit. The things a plaintiff states in a lawsuit are just that — – his statements. He doesn’t have to prove them to put them in the lawsuit. He just needs to write them down. Proof is another matter. We believe that what is written in this lawsuit results from not understanding the current state of fiber science. We are fighting this case to make it clear to our customers and partners that our label information is 100% accurate.
    Make no mistake, Quest Nutrition will not back down in the face of what we believe are attacks based on lack of good information. The outpouring of support from our customers and supporters on this issue has been overwhelming. We’re very grateful for the support, and we want to assure everyone that we are committed to bringing the highest quality products to our loyal fan base. We have nothing to hide and we look forward to a very visible public refutation of these unfounded claims.”
  • kmbweber2014
    kmbweber2014 Posts: 680 Member
    Options

Merely a civil lawsuit by one man accusing of false labeling its fiber content. Anyone for that matter can open a civil lawsuit against a company and make a claim as such. Isomaltooligosaccharide or IMO (for short) is a multifunctional health molecule which exerts positive effects on human digestive health. There are numerous scientific papers available about the role of IMO as prebiotic, least flatulence (i.e., generating least gas), low Glycemic index, and Anti-caries Activities. In the state of California you can count this as the total dietary fiber content of a product. In general this "civil lawsuit" is merely an accusation by one man. Nothing more, nothing less.

Quote by QuestNutrition:
    “Quest has been named in a lawsuit regarding our fiber count. It is our belief and conviction that this lawsuit is without merit. The things a plaintiff states in a lawsuit are just that — – his statements. He doesn’t have to prove them to put them in the lawsuit. He just needs to write them down. Proof is another matter. We believe that what is written in this lawsuit results from not understanding the current state of fiber science. We are fighting this case to make it clear to our customers and partners that our label information is 100% accurate.
    Make no mistake, Quest Nutrition will not back down in the face of what we believe are attacks based on lack of good information. The outpouring of support from our customers and supporters on this issue has been overwhelming. We’re very grateful for the support, and we want to assure everyone that we are committed to bringing the highest quality products to our loyal fan base. We have nothing to hide and we look forward to a very visible public refutation of these unfounded claims.”

http://www.strengthsociety.com/quest-bar-lab-results/
  • tmpecus78
    Options

Quote by QuestNutrition:

Um, yeah. Check out the lab’s website and scroll down to their available dietary fiber assays. http://www.medallionlabs.com/TestOfferings/Fiber.aspx

You’ll notice that they have a separate assay for products with significant oligosaccharide content–Quest Bars are over 30%. The test used here is, perhaps purposefully and maliciously, entirely the wrong test to use. The reason this is important is that the standard dietary fiber assays use old AOAC practices that don’t mimic at all how oligosaccharides get digested in humans. The old standards involve letting the samples sit in amylase for 16 hours, which is *way* longer than the bolus is going sit in your small intestine. Wrong methodology, bad results, probable fearmongering.
  • FitMelody4Life
    Options

Quote by QuestNutrition:

Um, yeah. Check out the lab’s website and scroll down to their available dietary fiber assays. http://www.medallionlabs.com/TestOfferings/Fiber.aspx

You’ll notice that they have a separate assay for products with significant oligosaccharide content–Quest Bars are over 30%. The test used here is, perhaps purposefully and maliciously, entirely the wrong test to use. The reason this is important is that the standard dietary fiber assays use old AOAC practices that don’t mimic at all how oligosaccharides get digested in humans. The old standards involve letting the samples sit in amylase for 16 hours, which is *way* longer than the bolus is going sit in your small intestine. Wrong methodology, bad results, probable fearmongering.

Arguments can be made for both sides. All I know is that every time I introduce those bars into my diet I don't lose and often times even gain. I have also seen the massive blood sugar spike and the calorie differential is just way to large. If they work in your diet more power to you I actually really enjoy them. However, if you aren’t getting results I would take them out of your diet and stop paying a premium price for a product that is not helping you reach your goals.
  • bonjourjackie
    bonjourjackie Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Quest bars are really good! The best one is the cookies and cream because unlike the previous products you really cannot taste the "weird" taste. It's good when you're craving something sweet or pre or post workout snack!
  • tmpecus78
    Options

Arguments can be made for both sides. All I know is that every time I introduce those bars into my diet I don't lose and often times even gain. I have also seen the massive blood sugar spike and the calorie differential is just way to large. If they work in your diet more power to you I actually really enjoy them. However, if you aren’t getting results I would take them out of your diet and stop paying a premium price for a product that is not helping you reach your goals.

I have eat 1-2 questbars daily for over a year and have had no issue losing weight. This is along with bacon, peanut butter and pop tarts daily. Its not WHAT you eat that makes you gain weight, it's the quantity of said food that matters. I personally feel that issue(s) you are having with weight loss is not Questbars. You cannot single out one food source for your "weight gain" or lack of "weight loss." The bigger issue is you are consuming more calories then you are burning on an average day.
  • FitMelody4Life
    Options

I have eat 1-2 questbars daily for over a year and have had no issue losing weight. This is along with bacon, peanut butter and pop tarts daily. Its not WHAT you eat that makes you gain weight, it's the quantity of said food that matters. I personally feel that issue(s) you are having with weight loss is not Questbars. You cannot single out one food source for your "weight gain" or lack of "weight loss." The bigger issue is you are consuming more calories then you are burning on an average day.

No its actually directly from them as its the only variable I changed
  • missADS1981
    missADS1981 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I eat 2 a day and they help me go crazy since most of the rest of my diet is boring.

my favorites:

chocolate chip cookie dough
    peanut butter and jelly
    applie pie
    strawberry cheesecake

the last one is the one i go for most since its lowest in calories and fat than the others
  • runningagainstmyself
    runningagainstmyself Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    I vote for double chocolate chunk, chocolate peanut butter, white chocolate raspberry, and apple pie. They are fantastic.