Tricks To Cut Calories, Gain Better Nutrition

Options
2»

Replies

• greengoddess0123
    greengoddess0123 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    How on Earth did you have any cookies left if you ate 2-3 dozen while baking?! I don't even think Furious Pete could do that.

I could, and did. My chocolate chip cookie recipe makes 5 dozen. After eating a lot of dough and "sampling" cookies as each dozen baked, I usually ended up with 2-3 dozen cookies. Which I would eat over the course of the next 24 hours.

The struggle is real.

:bigsmile:

Maybe I'm just terrible at portioning. My recipe would say "makes 4 dozen" and I could never get more than 20 out of it. And I can count!

The only reason I know my recipe makes 5 dozen is because one time I made them without tasting or eating any. And holy crap what an eye opener! :embarassed:
  • kirraleej
    kirraleej Posts: 5
    Options
    Great list! Thanks for sharing :-)
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    No sugar in oatmeal? Why? Does that include stevia? Because I can't tolerate oatmeal without a packet. :/ A zero calorie sweetener shouldn't be something to avoid.

Try your oats with flax seed meal and peanut butter. Nutty flavor, no sugar required.
  • debrag12
    debrag12 Posts: 1,071 Member
    Options
    I learn something new everyday. I'd never heard of catsup and just thought you were misspelling ketchup till I noticed someone else write it then I googled it.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    No sugar in oatmeal? Why? Does that include stevia? Because I can't tolerate oatmeal without a packet. :/ A zero calorie sweetener shouldn't be something to avoid.
    That's funny you should say this, because i have no sugar on my oatmeal. Not because I'm against it but because since I was a kid I've never liked sugar on oatmeal or cereal.

I have a banana and other fruit, so that does sweeten my oatmeal, but I have been known to have a few grams of brown sugar on my oatmeal from time to time.

I put salt in mine :blushing:
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you have found a lot of tricks that work for you.

Cant say I would be bothered by which sort of lettuce is more nutritious than the other - but whatever works for you. :flowerforyou:
    It's funny, normally I'd feel that way but since I first saw the difference in nutrients between iceberg lettuce and other lettuces maybe 10 years ago, I haven't bought iceberg since.

I too would skip the fries instead of the ketchup.

A tip from me... Quit snacking between meals if it's mindless eating but if you absolutely have to, have a piece of fruit with some fat and protein, like an apple with nut butter or cheese. Slice it pretty, plate it up, sprinkle it with good cinnamon and sit down and enjoy it.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options

Try your oats with flax seed meal and peanut butter. Nutty flavor, no sugar required.
    Flax seed and peanut butter in mine every morning as well. And my oatmeal is not the instant or fast cooking, but Red Mill thick oats that take about ten minutes to cook. :smile:
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Certainly no offense to the OP, but you have lost 2 of 40 pounds since joining MFP in October 2012. How is this plan working? I try to make things very simple: set a realistic calorie goal, eat a wide variety of nutritious food, add in treats that fit my goal.

I don't eat French fries very often, but when I do, bring on the ketchup. Eating ketchup did not make me overweight. Eating too much in general did.
  • Rebamae
    Rebamae Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of the great hints!! :flowerforyou:

I appreciate everyone taking time to tell what works for them - this is so helpful for all of us!!
  • HelenCDavis
    HelenCDavis Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    CipherZero, thank you for the suggestion of flax seed and peanut butter on oatmeal. I'll give it a try.

debrag12, I use both words, catsup and ketchup. I guess catsup is a local or regional thing.

WalkingAlong, great tip about snacking

SherryTeach, No offense taken. I joined in October 2012 and stayed around about a month. I came back last Saturday, June 28, 2014. I thought I'd give it another go. I'm nearing my 60th birthday. I would like to keep and eye on my sodium intake. After doing some research and reading I've realized that I don't need as many calories. At 5' 9" and 238 pounds I should shed some pounds by watching my calorie intake (1600 per day) and eating lower amounts of sodium (1500 mg).
  • HelenCDavis
    Options

I appreciate everyone taking time to tell what works for them - this is so helpful for all of us!!

Rebamae, thank you for the encouragement.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options

Rebamae, thank you for the encouragement.

I agree too, great thread.

We know the answer is to eat at a deficit, but ideas about day to day details and strategies do help!
  • HelenCDavis
    Options
    t.
    [/quote]

I agree too, great thread.

We know the answer is to eat at a deficit, but ideas about day to day details and strategies do help!
    [/quote]

Thank you JaneiR36
  • maracuya23
    maracuya23 Posts: 122
    Options
    I find it helpful to set myself positive challenges. Three of the most helpful for me personally have been: aim for 3000-4000mg potassium/ day, any kind of treat should inclue a fruit or vegetable (peanut butter and apple, strawberries and chocolate, chips and salsa or guacamole, etc), and aim for 1g protein/ lb lean body mass. When I hit all three goals, I always feel great.
  • Ideabaker
    Ideabaker Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    I find it helpful to set myself positive challenges. Three of the most helpful for me personally have been: aim for 3000-4000mg potassium/ day, any kind of treat should inclue a fruit or vegetable (peanut butter and apple, strawberries and chocolate, chips and salsa or guacamole, etc), and aim for 1g protein/ lb lean body mass. When I hit all three goals, I always feel great.

^^

This. If I'm eating within my calorie allotment and hitting my macros (I especially watch protein and fiber), then it's all good!
  • FatJockSing
    FatJockSing Posts: 164 Member
    Options

If I'm eating within my calorie allotment and hitting my macros then it's all good!

100% - I like to have a very INCLUSIVE approach to food - rather the the typical "diet" which tends to be an EXCLUSIVE approach. If I have a craving I generally go for it in moderation, and then adjust my remaining meals around that. your body does not care HOW you get the Macros and Calories - just that you get what it needs to function. I find if I LIKE what I am eating, I will stick to it. If I go on a time-specific food specific "diet" I cheat and give up. We are all on a journey to a goal. May as well make the JOURNEY enjoyable as that is where you will spend most of your time!

Incorporate foods you enjoy into your daily plans - and adjust aother meal to suit.
  • RaggedyPond
    RaggedyPond Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    I really like this and you seem like a wonderful lady. Good luck to you. :)
  • Charlottesometimes23
    Charlottesometimes23 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I love the idea of cinnamon with roasted sweet potato. Will definitely give it a go.

When I'm hanging out for some gooey chocolate goodness, I make bean brownies. I drain and rinse a can of beans, refill the can with water and the rinsed beans, blend until smooth. I add the blended beans to a packet chocolate brownie mix. It has reduced calories and increased fibre and still tastes delish.
  • Rosyone
    Rosyone Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    3. If, I buy a fast food burger, I only have the small burger, no fries and water or unsweetened tea.

I usually get a full sized burger and ask them to hold the mayonnaise. That's where lion's share of the condiment calories are, not in the ketchup.
    5. I substitute more days of Ranch Dressing on my salad for a splash of balsamic vinegar.

I serve the dressing on the side, then dip the tines of my fork before each bite of the salad. That way I get the aroma and taste of the dressing with every bite of salad without having to slather everything with it.
    10. I switched from salted butter to unsalted butter.

I often dispense with the butter entirely and substitute parmesan cheese. A half tablespoon of grated parmesan packs a lot of flavor for only 10 calories.
    12. Milk is one of my favorite things. I keep myself from drinking it because I know I can drink a gallon a day. I certainly don't need all those calories and fat. I switched to skim milk, but was hesitant about drinking it.

I don't drink milk (never did) and switched to unsweetened almond or coconut milk for cereal and such a few years ago. Recently I discovered how to make sugar free instant pudding set up in these milk substitutes. Put a half cup of cottage cheese and a cup and a half of the nut milk in your blender, blend well, then add your pudding mix. It will set up just like whole milk at only 65 calories per serving, using unsweetened almond milk and full fat cottage cheese. That's how I've been satisfying my sweet tooth lately.
    17. I sure would love a piece of cake right now. But, I don't want to go to the freezer and take out a piece to let it thaw. Out of sight, out of mind. I bake a cake, cut it into portions, wrap each piece individually, and put all the pieces into a freezer bag. It has saved me from eating most of the cake within a 2 day period.

You can freeze snack sized candy bars too. I still have chocolate that has been out of sight and out of mind in my freezer since I picked it up at half price the day after Halloween. The bars come out of the freezer rock hard and take longer to thaw than you'd expect.
    18. Never add sugar to cereal or oatmeal.

I add a teaspoon of cinnamon or a tablespoon of peanut butter - or maybe some fruit. Oatmeal is good with unsweetened applesauce and is a great way to get rid of dead ripe bananas or peaches. Around Christmas I love it cooked with chopped fresh cranberries.
    20. There is just nothing better for me than to have English muffins with grated Mexican cheese added to the top and let it get golden brown in the oven. I really love them for breakfast, I could eat them everyday! Since coming back to MFP I haven't had any. I will add them to one of my breakfast menus, but will only have a half.

I don't know about that one. An English muffin with an oz of full fat cheese is only about 230 calories, which would fit into my breakfast menu just fine. I'd probably add an egg and it would still fit. It may not be something you want to eat everyday, but an occasional indulgence in a full serving of one of your favorite foods can be very good for your general sense of well being. Scrimp on the stuff you don't really care about.
  • Sukebind15
    Sukebind15 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everyone, for your ideas and suggestions. I am de-lurking to contribute although I don't have much to add.
    - I always have water on my natural muesli to moisten it as you never really taste the milk unless you have way too much of it.
    - I have just decided to cut back on my weekend alcohol treats as it means I get lax and make bad choices that I end up not enjoying that much, regretting and feeling guilty about.
    - that said, to have the occasional treat. It won't kill me and will help me keep on track over all. If I go to a friend's and she's made a cake especially, I will have a small slice.
    - recognise when I need a day off from heavy (for me) exercise.
    - I don't need salad dressing. A splash of vinegar will do but usually just including a selection of yummy flavours in the salad and seasoning with black pepper makes it taste nicer than oily dressings.
    - I have swapped my homemade bread sandwiches for a salad. Those things were delicious but as it's hard to cut think slices from the loaves I was eating way too many carbs and bread calories.
    - if I buy chocolate as a treat, I just buy a tiny one for children that costs a few pence even if the giant ones are on offer for just a pound. That way there is no temptation to eat the lot.

I think just being mindful really helps and thinking about this list has been useful even though it is not ground-breaking stuff!