Gluten & Dairy Free, Will I lose Weight??

Options
Hey there, I am just starting my 3rd week of gluten and dairy free. I have to say after getting past the first few days it's not that hard. And I am really enjoying not getting hungry every few hours after coming down from the severe blood sugar spike you get after consuming wheat! Anyway, I did this a while back but never really payed attention to calories consumed, this time I am, plus I have not had dairy either.

My question is, have any of you experienced weight loss from this? And if so, how long before you see it? I am committed to 2 months! I do not have celiac disease and I am not allergic to dairy. I am just doing this for the sole purpose of vanity, for the sole purpose of losing weight!

Age, 44, 20 lbs over weight!!

PS- my exercise routine is a 5 mile hike with hills, 5 days a week!

Replies

• Lemongrab13
    Lemongrab13 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    There'll be weight loss if there's a calorie reduction.
    Removing foods doesn't mean that will happen.
    Unless you remove all food.
    But that's not recommended :bigsmile:
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Oh lord. Here we go.
    OP: why would cutting out gluten and dairy lead to weight loss?
  • CitizenXVIII
    CitizenXVIII Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Weight loss from cutting out those two things? Nope. Weight loss comes form a calorie deficit, not from cutting out two dietary groups.
  • sunil_l
    sunil_l Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    As above, the answer depends on what you eat instead. First thing is to make sure you're running a calorie deficit, but i'm a firm believer that the context of what else you eat counts, not just from a weight perspective, but general health.

Myself and my wife are currently on week 3 of a 30 day no grain, sugar, dairy, legume diet, aka the 'Whole 30'.

Last time we did it i think i dropped about 5kg, but that was coming from a few weeks of less than optimal eating.

Personally, i find that quitting bread / sugars / processed food and eating lots of veg / protein / healthy fats make me feel better and be less hungry the rest of the time. As you say, after a few days it's not that hard - though we're lucky that we have enough time for food prep.

Other than that the only challenge is to try and come up with interesting dishes...
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    going gluten and dairy-free will only help you lose weight if it leads you to eat less calories, which you could achieve without going without either. i'm allergic to wheat, haven't eaten it since 1994 and don't each much gluten, but i still managed to get up to 242 pounds at one point.

btw, i haven't eaten sugar in years, either, yet was heavier than friends who eat breads, cakes and lots of sugar and gluten.
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    A calorie deficit leads to weight loss.

I personally don't eat wheat as it triggers my IBS. However that's not what's caused me to lose weight. Cutting the amount of calories I consumed a day did.
  • ponyvillalobos
    ponyvillalobos Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. Yeah, I know a calorie deficit leads to weight loss. I should have been more specific. I just hear so much about how all calories are not created equal anymore. ...How your body uses different fuel sources differently, some last longer, some raise your blood sugar, blah, blah, blah.

If anything, it has made me way more aware of what I am putting in my mouth!!! This is always good!
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegan have been for 15 odd years. I got to 333 pounds of dairy free fatness. As others said it's calories you need to look at. If you have no medical or ethical reasons to eliminate these things it's pretty pointless
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. Yeah, I know a calorie deficit leads to weight loss. I should have been more specific. I just hear so much about how all calories are not created equal anymore. ...How your body uses different fuel sources differently, some last longer, some raise your blood sugar, blah, blah, blah.

If anything, it has made me way more aware of what I am putting in my mouth!!! This is always good!

In all honesty stop over thinking it. If all you are looking to do is drop a few vanity pounds (your words). Then just a small deficit coupled with regular exercise. Plus a decent variety of food is all you need to do. People get all het up about it but it really is that simple.
  • Delquin
    Delquin Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Something works for everyone. My husband went paleo a while back - no dairy, no beans, no pasta, potatoes, corn, peanuts...I whatever else false into that group. Yes, he lost weight. And he exercises 4x week (at least) doing weights. As for a calorie deficit, he ate plenty. At least a 1/2 lb of protein at each meal (for muscle building) along with massive salads, manioc bread, almond butter, etc.

Not something I could do. I love me a good PB&J on crappy white bread with a glass of milk. :)
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,064 Member
    Options
    I dont get a severe sugar spike from eating wheat.

OP there is no need to cut out gluten or diary unless you want to.
    In themselves they will not make you gain or lose weight.
  • Born_to_Nope
    Options
    Gluten-free bread substitutes (also pasta, cookies, dough, etc) are actually higher calorie than normal breads and such. So, it could hurt more than help.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

I understand what you're trying to do, but neither gluten nor dairy is considered among those foods. Enriched, bleached flour, yes.

instead of focusing on cutting things out, perhaps consider building a diet around nutrient dense vegetables, meat and fish (if possible), reasonable dairy, legumes, nuts and seeds, and some fruit and WHOLE grains.
    And, if you want to lose weight, eat at a reasonable deficit.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Gluten-free bread substitutes (also pasta, cookies, dough, etc) are actually higher calorie than normal breads and such. So, it could hurt more than help.
    And sugar/starch.
  • Shalaurise
    Shalaurise Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegan have been for 15 odd years. I got to 333 pounds of dairy free fatness. As others said it's calories you need to look at. If you have no medical or ethical reasons to eliminate these things it's pretty pointless

You. I less than three you. *nods* I do believe you just became my favorite vegan.

Disclaimer: I don't know if I know vegan people, I am just presuming I don't.
  • tycho_mx
    tycho_mx Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Unlikely, if the rest of your diet doesn't result in a deficit. Peanut butter is gluten and dairy free. If your diet contains two cups that is 3,000 calories. I doubt most people exercise enough if they consumed that.

I am dairy free for decades - lactose intolerant. No effect on my weight loss/gain.
  • holliebevineau
    holliebevineau Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I did that for the Lenten season and I did not lose weight. I ate too much of the foods that I did not restrict.
  • berry987
    berry987 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    As someone who has cut out both because my son is gluten intolerant and we were dairy free for a stretch to see if dairy was contributing, I'd say no. I never lost any weight taking out either.
  • skinnyforhi
    skinnyforhi Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    There are actually studies that consuming low fat dairy is correlated with weight loss (although there's a study for everything!). I have had better luck with weight loss when I consume yogurt, string cheese, or other low-fat dairy products. I can't eat dairy now for health reasons and it has provided no advantage to me and it may be making it harder, but that's anecdotal.
  • ryanwood935
    ryanwood935 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    As a few others have said, cutting these foods out of your diet will only help you lose weight if it means you consume less calories. Giving up gluten or dairy is beneficial to those individuals allergic/intolerant to those foods. In fact, a lot of gluten free products contain more unhealthy ingredients ie sugar to make up for the awful taste :)
    Most dairy (milk, cottage cheese, etc) has casein protein in it. This is a slow digesting protein that should keep you feeling full for longer, since it stays in your stomach longer.

Gluten free items are also more expensive! Take any money you are spending on gluten-free products and buy veggies instead. I mean, if it works for you then keep at it, but there are certainly better ways to approach weight loss.