Need more calories, but nothing else.

Options
annie_p
annie_p Posts: 319 Member
This has happened to me several times. I end up being under the 1200 minimum *required* calories for the day, but am close on everything else. I've already earned 233 calories for exercising, so it's not like I can just rest today. Here's what I have left for the day: Calories: 567; Carbs: 63; Fat: 36; Protein: 14; Sugar: 9; and Sodium: 250.

I'm "in the red" for calories, as far as starvation mode goes, but I'm so close to my limits on everything else. Is there something I can eat that is higher in calories but not in other areas? And before you say, "write it off as one day" this happens almost every day! It's at least 5 days a week I end up like this.

Replies

• colochel
    colochel Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Bump! :)
  • MayaPapaya64
    Options
    Eat more stuff with protein and fiber. As I understand, it's ok to go over on those. Greek yogurt is awesome, brown rice/grains are good, and of course lean meats, fish, or soy products.
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    I would worry most about protein and good fats. So, chicken, fish, nuts (handful of almonds does wonders), eggs, avocados....

As long as they're from good sources, I never worry about going over on those, if I'm within cals.
  • pocketsam
    pocketsam Posts: 134
    Options
    I am having the same problem!! I am 110 pounds and a dance teacher - i have burnt a lot today and had my dinner. It is now 9pm and I have 1197 calories still to go! Now what?? :s
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    You have to go over on something. The things you'd be okay going over on would be protein, fiber and healthy fats. Eat some chicken (100-120 for 4 oz) or peanut butter (about 200 for 2 tbsp). You could have a chicken sandwich... make sure it's whole grain so if you go over on carbs, at least they're GOOD carbs. Most breads are about 100 calories per slice so for 4 oz of chicken and 2 slices of chicken, that's about 300 calories... add in 1/4 avocado for 40-60 calories and you have a healthy meal.
  • hammod
    hammod Posts: 23
    Options
    It sounds like you may be eating too many low calorie foods that tend to be higher in carbs and fat. I wouldn't worry about going over in protein as its great for you if you are exercising a lot.

If you eat light yogurt it can be fat free, but high in carbs. Or if you eat something that is sugar free - it may have extra fat... If you can you should try to include 1 carb, 1 protein and 1 fat in every meal and snack to balance it out. Like 1/2 cup cottage cheese, 15 Wheat thins and 8 almonds would be a nice mix. :)
  • darrenw74
    darrenw74 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Eat more stuff with protein and fiber. As I understand, it's ok to go over on those. Greek yogurt is awesome, brown rice/grains are good, and of course lean meats, fish, or soy products.

I agree with this. In general, going over on some of the components is probably preferable to being way under the calorie target. As long as you arent going way over on sugar or fat, you're probably ok.
  • 6Janelle13
    6Janelle13 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I ran into this especially before I converted to whole grains. Also why are you counting sugar? I was having a really hard time with that and some one pointed out that I might not need to watch it so closely and that if i had a condition that required me to pay attention then MFP isn't the best thing to base my sugar count on. Just food for thought. I know I struggle with sugar but I also hated how when i was tracking sugar I couldn't even eat a banana.
  • Nirvanaapathy
    Options
    I always look for things that are low in everything:calories, carbs, fat, etc. I don't try as hard to get my nutrients high right now I'm trying to handle the calorie part. But I try and eat very little processed food. Veggies and fruits are my biggest allies :). Go to the gym or walk or dance to burn off some calories then eat a special K 90 calorie bar or even a meal replacement bar. Also Protein shakes have a ton of those nutrients you need. Don't sweat about the small stuff, as long as your calorie count is good don't worry too much about the rest. Also, considering you want to lose fat not just weight try to stay under by like ten or fifteen on your recommended fat intake. That's what I do :p Just a suggestion. Good Luck!
  • JoyousRen
    JoyousRen Posts: 3,823 Member
    Options
    Non-soluble fiber gets counted as part of your carb grams but doesn't count against your caloried because your body can't aborb it. It can cause it too look like you have no grams left but you still have calories. Also, I wouldn't worry to much about getting exact on the grams. There are natural variations in the food we eat since the amount are just averages. As long as you aren't way over on one thing and way under on something else, I don't think it is a huge deal.
  • annie_p
    Options
    I ran into this especially before I converted to whole grains. Also why are you counting sugar? I was having a really hard time with that and some one pointed out that I might not need to watch it so closely and that if i had a condition that required me to pay attention then MFP isn't the best thing to base my sugar count on. Just food for thought. I know I struggle with sugar but I also hated how when i was tracking sugar I couldn't even eat a banana.

I'm trying out taking a look at my sugar intake. When I first started back in August it was REALLY high, so I just didn't look at it. LOL Now that I'm trying harder to lose the weight, I wanted to take a look at my sugar. I don't really count my fresh fruits and vegetables in my sugar "limit" as I know there's just no getting around those. Taking that into account, I'm still a little higher on my sugar. Also, there are a lot of diabetics in my family, and I would LOVE to stay away from that.
  • annie_p
    Options
    It sounds like you may be eating too many low calorie foods that tend to be higher in carbs and fat. I wouldn't worry about going over in protein as its great for you if you are exercising a lot.

If you eat light yogurt it can be fat free, but high in carbs. Or if you eat something that is sugar free - it may have extra fat... If you can you should try to include 1 carb, 1 protein and 1 fat in every meal and snack to balance it out. Like 1/2 cup cottage cheese, 15 Wheat thins and 8 almonds would be a nice mix. :)

This sounsd a lot like what I'm doing. I've been paying so much attention to the calories and nothing else. Today I actually haven't had anything considered "low calorie" or "light"...or even "sugar free", but most days I do have a Lean Pocket or another lo-cal meal. I really need to invest in some yogurt....