'Exercise doesn't matter for weight loss'

Options

Replies

• kessler4130
    kessler4130 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    You can lose weight with diet alone, if you want to look like a melted popsickle but body recomposition can only happen through weight training.
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    I always felt that if you look at the actual time needed to burn 3500 cals....I would never do it. You mentioned being on an elliptical for 3 hours a week to lose 1/2 lb....that for me just doesn't sound like an easy way to lose weight. I workout and exercise for other reasons (burning calories is a bonus)

I just googled a site that said (for my age/height/weight) I would have to walk for 380 minutes to lose 1 lb. So it comes down to six hours of walking vs eating 500 cals less a day. For me.....it is just easier to eat less (since I was eating way too much anyway). People that are desperately needing to lose weight, and are not in great shape to begin with would have a very difficult time exercising 3 hours a week.

If you like using the elliptical, keep doing it. It works. Be in deficit, no matter how it's accomplished, will get you where you need to go. Sounds like you are doing both, which is fantastic. You will see results. I would recommend adding some weight training and you will have all three components working for you which really turbo charges your results.

Good luck
  • sofiachohdary
    Options
    Quite honestly, I prefer to eat anything I want (within caloric reason) without worrying too much, and make sure I get all my fuel and nutritional needs for the day, and just burn the fat off with exercise, instead of sitting all day and starving myself. And I have tried both ways, with exercise I stick more to the plan and works better for me.
  • itsjustdawn
    itsjustdawn Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    Between May 1, 2006 and May 1, 2007 I lost 50lbs by following Weight Watchers. I NEVER exercised. Not even a brisk walk. So with that being said, would I recommend it? No. If I could go back and tell my younger self to exercise or something, I would. I'd rather be fit. But yeah, exercise isn't required to lose weight.
  • smetka01
    smetka01 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    True. S'alllll about the deficit. Me, I just exercise so I can eat more. :bigsmile:

I have to admit - me too :blushing:
  • njmark72
    njmark72 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Exercising can speed up your weight loss by creating a bigger calorie deficit. If your body needs 2000 cals a day to maintain its weight and you eat 1500 cals per day and exercise burns 500 cals per day you will lose twice as much weight than you would had you not exercised.

This is approximate obviously depending on a number of factors including health and metabolism swings.

Good Luck!
    Mark
  • Jim_Barteck
    Jim_Barteck Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I see a lot of people saying that diet is more important than exercise for weight loss, but why? If I'm on a stationary bike for 30 minutes I burn between 250-300 calories, so over 7 days that's between 1750-2100 calories burned by exercise, which combined with a calorie controlled diet, wouldn't that mean I would be losing an extra 1/2lb a week? (Theoretically)

The answer is in your question. "Combined with a calorie-controlled diet." That's what they're talking about when they say diet is more important than exercise. If you exercise without controlling your calories, then you could actually wind up going backwards by eating back those exercise calories and possibly more. So, in that regard, you're already doing the diet piece of that puzzle.

You can lose weight controlling your diet while not doing a single bit of exercise. However, it's very difficult to lose weight adding exercise without controlling your diet. Obviously the combination is the best recipe for weight loss.
  • Chevy_Quest
    Chevy_Quest Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    I exercise so i can eat more and lose weight comfortably. Also I feel like I am "living maintenance" because of this attitude.

On the other hand:

"you can't out run poor dietary choices on a consistent basis"
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    correct, but you dont HAVE to exercise, you just need a calorie deficit for weight loss.

Agreed. But some people on MFP do say a lot that exercise is nothing to do with weight loss, which is taking it a step further.

I've never seen this claim.

...but it's so much easier to set up a strawman and claim all those people say "exercise is useless for weight loss". :huh:

Funnily enough I don't have a clipboard when I'm on here so that I can note down who says what. I have a life.

Next time I see it I'll be sure to let you know.

Ok, sure. "some people on MFP do say a lot" should be easy to find. Dontchathink?
    Sorry, it's just not claimed "a lot".

From "exercise isn't necessary" to "doesn't matter" is a spacious leap.
  • spally2
    spally2 Posts: 22
    Options
    I must admit to exercising in order to eat more, but have to admit that by trying to be more aware of what I am eating and trying to be in deficit (I do have my off days and weeks) I am now starting to see the weight coming off and my clothes fitting me better.
  • SuperStar0110
    Options
    Bump
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I lost my first 25lbs without exercise...you don't need to exercise to lose weight...

For me exercise isn't about weight loss anyway..I eat the same amount of calories everyday regardless of if I exercise or not.

I exercise because I want to be fit....I want to be healthy.

you can exercise all you want but if you are eating in a surplus you won't lose weight...hence the "claim" exercise isn't for weight loss...
  • Dobba69
    Dobba69 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Bottom Line is that only need to create a deficit - simple

However - dieting is not easy at all and if you give yourself a few calories back to allow your diet to be effective and less difficult then thats only a good thing.
  • SXMEnrico
    SXMEnrico Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I see a lot of people saying that diet is more important than exercise for weight loss, but why? If I'm on a stationary bike for 30 minutes I burn between 250-300 calories, so over 7 days that's between 1750-2100 calories burned by exercise, which combined with a calorie controlled diet, wouldn't that mean I would be losing an extra 1/2lb a week? (Theoretically)

people say this because it's easier to put down that krispy kreme donut rather than to ride that stationary bike. That said, the approach that will get you the fastest result is to exercise and moderate your caloric intake.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    They are both important, but you don't NEED to exercise to lose weight. The common misconception is that people think you can eat all kinds of crap as long as you exercise. You can't out-exercise a poor diet!

Exercise-is-one-step-forward-300x278.jpg
  • dlionsmane
    dlionsmane Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    The key is to find something that you can sustain for the rest of your life OP. What happens is that (I will say 'some') people will use the lack of ability to exercise as an excuse to gain weight or for not losing weight. Especially if they are used to eating at a deficit created by exercising a lot. All the things about exercising more to eat more? What happens when you injure yourself or for whatever reason can no longer exercise. I see this far too often and it even happened to me. I used to be one of the people who ate more because I exercised more. When I got an injury that sidelined me for almost a year I gained a bunch of weight, because I did not adjust well. Now I eat at a moderate deficit (sometimes less than 250 calories/day) and workout for fitness, not to create a bigger deficit, The weight comes off slowly, but the scale is steadily moving downward so it is all good. It is better for you to keep the two separate. Eat at a sustainable deficit, take your time losing weight and exercise at a level that is also sustainable to you.
  • sculli123
    sculli123 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    What works best is both. You can certainly lose pounds by not eating alone but you'll need to create the entire deficit by eating less. Whereas if you're exercising you can eat more than you could by diet alone to lose the weight because some of the deficit will be exercise induced. Also, if you're lifting weights, you're going to preserve / build more muscle which will also require calories to sustain (i.e. you're burning calories just by having more muscle).

Also, as yourself these questions. Do I want to be a rail thin twig? A skinny fat person? Or a hardbody? Whatever your answer is, will determine what you need to do to get there. A twig, just starve yourself. Skinny fat, eat less maybe do cardio but don't lift weights. Hardbody, eat a litle more than the other two but lift weights first and do cardio second.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    It isn't that exercise isn't important but if a person isn't eating within a calorie deficiency then there will not be any weight loss. For example, many people posted that they haven't loss any weight despite exercising several days a week. The reason is they have consumed too much food which erased their calorie deficiency, even with exercise. The calories in the diet must be controlled in order for exercise to contribute to weight loss.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    correct, but you dont HAVE to exercise, you just need a calorie deficit for weight loss.

+1
    I workout because it is fun and I see how it changes my body composition.
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options
    They are both important, but you don't NEED to exercise to lose weight. The common misconception is that people think you can eat all kinds of crap as long as you exercise. You can't out-exercise a poor diet!

Exercise-is-one-step-forward-300x278.jpg

You know, I hear this all the time, but I don't know if it's true either.
    In high school I joined the swim team and swam maybe 1.5 hours 5-6 days/week. I didn't change what I ate, in fact, I ate MORE, pasta, pizza, burgers, anything I wanted. I lost over 20 lbs without even thinking about it. So yeah, actually, you can lose weight just by increasing your exercise, in some cases.