10 day smoothie cleanse-buddy needed!

Options
I'm so fed up with my poor diet. I have sleep apnea, depression and anxiety, and feel tired and no energy to do anything allll day. My diet is bad, and I know it's not helping. I want to start Friday (when I get paid) on a 10 day smoothie cleanse to get myself on the right track food wise. Anyone wanna do it with me?

Replies

• teenie_71
    teenie_71 Posts: 44
    Options
    no thanks. My body does well cleansing itself. good luck to you though
  • yjackson08
    yjackson08 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    What a coincidence! I was plotting on starting Friday as well. My Nutribullet arrives today and I get paid Thursday lol. I'm nervous though and considering only doing it through the weekend and maybe the modified version through next week....
  • ElkeKNJ
    ElkeKNJ Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I do not want to do a cleanse with you, but I had a smoothie for breakfast, and it tasted great:

- 100 grams of blueberries
    - seads of 1 pomegrenade
    - 1/2 banana
    - juice of 1 orange
    - juice of 1 apple (I was out, and don't have a juicer anyway, but replaced it with some water)

enjoy!
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options
    Several months ago you were looking for a clean-eating buddy; now a "smoothie cleanse" buddy.

FWIW, the ONLY thing necessary for successful weight loss is a caloric deficit. Meaning you expend more calories than you consume on a regular basis.

Rather than spend money needlessly by adopting a short-term plan with negligible results, why don't you try eating healthful real food that provides all your macro and micro-nutritional needs. And get a moderate amount of exercise.

ETA: how is a smoothie cleanse going to teach you good eating habits to replace your poor diet??
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    You started on MFP the same time I did, and you've lost 7 lbs. Maybe if you stop looking for quick fixes, jump starts, or whatever else it might be different.

Figure out a reasonable deficit, log your food, go for consistency over perfection, and find an activity you enjoy. Take the time to learn about portion control, nutrition, and things you can continue doing forever.

Also your body cleanses itself very well without any product you will waste money on. Plus I like to eat my food not drink it.
  • Pah831
    Pah831 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Several months ago you were looking for a clean-eating buddy; now a "smoothie cleanse" buddy.

FWIW, the ONLY thing necessary for successful weight loss is a caloric deficit. Meaning you expend more calories than you consume on a regular basis.

Rather than spend money needlessly by adopting a short-term plan with negligible results, why don't you try eating healthful real food that provides all your macro and micro-nutritional needs. And get a moderate amount of exercise.

ETA: how is a smoothie cleanse going to teach you good eating habits to replace your poor diet??

I agree with this poster. Healthy eating is what is needed...not daily smoothies that will not be able to be sustained for the long term.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    A "cleanse" isn't going to help you with your "poor diet".

If you're not eating well there are numerous resources available to help you sort out what you should be eating, starting with the Canada Food Guide

http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/fn-an/food-guide-aliment/index-eng.php

While there are lots of free resources on the Internet you may want to consult with a registered dietitian for a customized approach to improving your nutrition

http://www.adnb-nbad.com/

Forget the "cleanse" they're nothing but a short term fad approach to losing weight and touted as a way to "flush out toxins" which is pseudo-scientific nonsense. Stick to the basics!
  • yjackson08
    yjackson08 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Oh I see what's happening here. I'm looking to do a short cleanse/detox or sub smoothies for a meal or occasionally two to hopefully give my digestion a boost and help me get more fruits and veggies in my daily intake.

From what I noticed in your diary, you can stand to increase your protein intake, and thus lower your carbs. The last time you did log, you only ate half the proteins you're already allotted. That's an easy way to lose muscle and gain fat, since the body usually turns carbs to glucose and stores as glycogen. When you workout, your body burns through fresh carbs already eaten first, then glycogen stores, so if you're eating so many carbs on a regular basis, you're practically just maintaining.
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    I'm so fed up with my poor diet. I have sleep apnea, depression and anxiety, and feel tired and no energy to do anything allll day. My diet is bad, and I know it's not helping. I want to start Friday (when I get paid) on a 10 day smoothie cleanse to get myself on the right track food wise. Anyone wanna do it with me?

Nah, that sounds like a horrendously stupid thing to do. I'll stick with real food... but you go ahead.

6i5s3a.jpg
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    You've only logged two days this entire month. Maybe give balanced eating with a calorie deficit a try?
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    Panicking, jumping aboard the fad diet train is a quick route to nowhere.

What's the point in messing about & wasting 10 days OP?

Work out the deficit you need & start using it - eat real food. You'll find you feel alot better in 10 days from now than you will by following some silly smoothie plan.

Or you could just leave it another year & come back then to listen to decent advice.
  • Swiftdogs
    Swiftdogs Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Let me get this straight - you have a lousy diet and no energy, so you want to make it WORSE for 10 days? And have to wait to payday to afford it? Then what, the same old lousy diet? Start eating better now and go out for a walk.
  • babyangelica2010
    babyangelica2010 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the negativity. I've even struggling with an eating disorder for 4 years but you guys make me feel so much better. No I didn't join recently, I've been on here with a different account before I started over. I've gained 50 lbs over the last 3 years and I've adopted bad habits tht I need to correct. I was hoping smoothies for 10 days would kind of recent my taste buds and make me not want junk as much.
    You guys were much help.
  • babyangelica2010
    babyangelica2010 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    You must have great lives to want to make someone feel worse about her already bad diet.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the negativity. I've even struggling with an eating disorder for 4 years but you guys make me feel so much better. No I didn't join recently, I've been on here with a different account before I started over. I've gained 50 lbs over the last 3 years and I've adopted bad habits tht I need to correct. I was hoping smoothies for 10 days would kind of recent my taste buds and make me not want junk as much.
    You guys were much help.

Your OP did not mention anything about an eating disorder. Since you are struggling with that, I suggest seeking help for it instead of a 10 day smoothie cleanse. (which by the way is a waste of time)

http://www.nationaleatingdisorders.org/find-help-support
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the negativity. I've even struggling with an eating disorder for 4 years but you guys make me feel so much better. No I didn't join recently, I've been on here with a different account before I started over. I've gained 50 lbs over the last 3 years and I've adopted bad habits that I need to correct. I was hoping smoothies for 10 days would kind of recent my taste buds and make me not want junk as much.
    You guys were much help.

I think most of the replies you received merely pointed out that the way to correct bad eating habits is to actually start eating better - not doing a 1- day cleanse.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    You guys were much help.

Your OP did not mention anything about an eating disorder. Since you are struggling with that, I suggest seeking help for it instead of a 10 day smoothie cleanse. (which by the way is a waste of time)

http://www.nationaleatingdisorders.org/find-help-support

Follow the link above and get some help with the disordered eating. Fixing your relationship with food is not going to come from a smoothie cleanse, or any other fad diet. It will take hard work, you probably already know this. The negativity you perceive in this thread is coming from people pointing out that your intended path is not healthy or necessary.

In light of this newest information, I have an even stronger reaction for you. This is not healthy! You already recognize that you have a poor relationship with food, doing this 'cleanse' could very likely trigger even worse events for you. Please get help from professionals who specialize in eating disorders. Do not do a 10 day smoothie cleanse.

Start with smaller steps, increase your vegetable, lean protein, and healthy fat intake. Even changing one or two things for now until you get comfortable with that change and then add a new change. Stop looking at it as an all-or-nothing type of thing. This is a long-haul project, not a quick/easy fix.

Finally, people disagreeing with you is not an attack on you. The posts here show concern for your well being. So stop assuming that disagreement equals an attempt to make you feel bad. No one here was putting you down personally. There was plenty of support, it just didn't look the way you wanted it to.

I hope you get some help in sorting things out. Reaching out for help takes strength and courage and it shows a desire for better things, it is not weakness. Best wishes for you.
  • ErikThaRed
    ErikThaRed Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    You started on MFP the same time I did, and you've lost 7 lbs. Maybe if you stop looking for quick fixes, jump starts, or whatever else it might be different.

Figure out a reasonable deficit, log your food, go for consistency over perfection, and find an activity you enjoy. Take the time to learn about portion control, nutrition, and things you can continue doing forever.

Also your body cleanses itself very well without any product you will waste money on. Plus I like to eat my food not drink it.

Why comment with negativity. If you're not interested, move on.
  • ErikThaRed
    ErikThaRed Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    A "cleanse" isn't going to help you with your "poor diet".

If you're not eating well there are numerous resources available to help you sort out what you should be eating, starting with the Canada Food Guide

http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/fn-an/food-guide-aliment/index-eng.php

While there are lots of free resources on the Internet you may want to consult with a registered dietitian for a customized approach to improving your nutrition

http://www.adnb-nbad.com/

Forget the "cleanse" they're nothing but a short term fad approach to losing weight and touted as a way to "flush out toxins" which is pseudo-scientific nonsense. Stick to the basics!

I did this cleanse and it did help with my poor diet. It helps kick start your body and get in the right mind set for eating healthy, or at least it did that for me. I lost 11 lbs on the this cleanse and it changed my eating patterns and motivated me to start eating healthy after it was complete. I haven't put back on any of the weight and have lost an additional 7 lbs after this. I felt a lot better after doing the cleanse and had more energy and less bloating, and feeling run down. So these things do help. You're correct in the fact that you can't do these things everyday, and that you need to eat healthy in order to maintain a healthy body and lifestyle, but these things do help and it helped me.