Why I don't count calories

Options
Because I'm lazy, that's why! I admire you calorie counters. I just can't do it.

But based on changes I made in my diet and the weight I've lost that got me to my goal weight, I believe I am on a low-calorie diet.

Here are a few things that I did:

- I stopped stuffing myself (an obvious way to get started).

- No restaurants.

- No alcohol.

- Little or no refined sugar. It's a waste of calories because it does nothing to fill me up. And it 's not very healthy.

- I find that fat and protein fill me up more than carbs. So for breakfast, I have a two-egg ommelette with a little cheese, a little fruit (sometimes) and coffee. Unlike bagels, pastry and/or a big bowl of cereal, the eggs hold me over well past noon. And I no longer drink orange juice because it's unnecessary calories and loaded with sugar.

- I don't eat as much pasta for lunch or dinner because it also does not fill me up. I would rather get most of my calories from protein (red meat, chicken, seafood), which does fill me up, and have the pasta as a side dish.

- I eat lots of salad with low-calorie dressing (and as little dressing as possible).

- Calorie for calorie, nuts fill me up much more than pretzels or chips. I can eat an endless amount of pretzels and chips. Nuts (typically almonds), not so much. So nuts are my snack of the day.

So more protein and fat and less sugar and carbs work for me because I eat less, and without counting, I know I have drastically reduced my calorie intake.

But that's just me. It may not work for you.

Good luck to all!

Replies

• martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    Good for you. There are many many people who have lost weight and kept it off just by practicing proper portioning and making intelligent decisions on food choice. You can get fat off eating anything, but if you incorporate more veggies into your diet it's hard to over eat broccoli (I dare anyone to try to eat 1,000 cal of broc), it's easy to over eat a pizza or cake.

For me personally, I calorie count because there's no way that I could cut out restaurants, alcohol and refined sugars. I can have all of my favorite foods I just need to record and make smarter choices.

Good luck to you, focus on a diet that meets your needs and desires. What works for me wont' always work for you.
  • theJTfitness
    theJTfitness Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    But... wine
  • Mikkimeow
    Mikkimeow Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    But... wine

Same.
  • abetter_me
    abetter_me Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I don't like to count calories also...it really stresses me out when i try to do so consitently...I don't want to live my life that way, so i have started making better choices and not over eat or give into emotional eating.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Why are you here then? It's a calorie counting website... the main premise is to have a place to... count calories.
  • Laurenloveswaffles
    Laurenloveswaffles Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    But... wine

And beer. With Reese's Oreos for dessert.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I can totally respect you doing weight loss your way. If it works for you, great. I'd rather count calories and include those things you have eliminated but to each their own. (Seriously, but wine?)

I don't really understand the point of joining a calorie counting site though.
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    Hmmm ... suspiciously similar to something yesterday (profile as well as topic). But I'm willing to give this the benefit of the doubt.

OP - I'm glad you found what works for you! It's important to aim for mostly nutritiously dense foods most of the time, which it sounds like you're doing.

I am not willing to completely cut out restaurants, pasta, baked goodies (I love baking - and eating them :laugh:), etc. That's why I count calories. I know about what I need, watch my macros, and aim for mostly nutritiously dense foods, and then indulge in what I love. (And, it's still possible to eat "healthy" or "clean" and overeat, which would lead to weight gain). So I count.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    Not everyone on MFP counts calories :blushing:
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    Hmmm ... suspiciously similar to something yesterday (profile as well as topic). But I'm willing to give this the benefit of the doubt.

OP - I'm glad you found what works for you! It's important to aim for mostly nutritiously dense foods most of the time, which it sounds like you're doing.

I am not willing to completely cut out restaurants, baked goodies (I love baking - and eating them :laugh:), etc. That's why I count calories. I know about what I need, watch my macros, and aim for mostly nutritiously dense foods, and then indulge in what I love. (And, it's still possible to eat "healthy" or "clean" and overeat, which would lead to weight gain). So I count.

Did he ever deactivate?
    Last I saw OP was still hanging on.
    I had the same question for him.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options

I am not willing to completely cut out restaurants, baked goodies (I love baking - and eating them :laugh:), etc. That's why I count calories. I know about what I need, watch my macros, and aim for mostly nutritiously dense foods, and then indulge in what I love. (And, it's still possible to eat "healthy" or "clean" and overeat, which would lead to weight gain). So I count.

Did he ever deactivate?
    Nope, the parallels are uncanny
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/user/erickessin/status
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    Not everyone on MFP counts calories :blushing:

That's true. I just don't understand those who get upset that the majority of people here believe in CICO. That's not necessarily directed at this OP but I do find it strange you would join a calorie counting site and make your first post about not calorie counting.
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    That's cool. If you've found something that works for you, and you enjoy it, stick with it.

Calorie counting isn't necessary for weight loss, but for many of us, it's a great tool that helps us reach our goals in the most efficient way. It's not for everyone - it does take some practice and a little bit of time. I enjoy being able to look at the numbers every day and see what kind of fuel and nutrition I'm giving my body, and I like learning how to meet my goals while eating all the foods I like. It's become a part of my normal daily routine, much like using the bathroom or brushing my teeth. It's just something I do.

But the only thing required for weight loss is a calorie deficit, and there are many ways to achieve that. If your plan allows you to reach your goals successfully, good for you.:smile:
  • mom2_4gr8kids
    Options

Did he ever deactivate?

Two 55-year-old males with 20 lbs to lose. Interesting...
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options

Did he ever deactivate?

Both who follow the exact same dieting principles.
  • aliciamelvin
    aliciamelvin Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    yeahhhh I refuse to give up things I enjoy such as wine or chocolate. I think to be healthy, you should have to give things up; only portion size or find healthier alternatives to those favorites. I can't have fast food due to my IBS/lack of gallbladder. I make my comfort foods at home with healthier versions so I don't feel like I'm giving up anything. I've always lost more weight when I documented what I ate/counted calories.
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    I lost 40 lb before I found MFP by doing basically what you suggest, although I did still drink beer and eat out. I just ate and drank less, and moved more. It can work for some people.

However, just because I didn't actually do the math and count calories, doesn't mean calories don't count. You still have to be in a deficit to lose.
  • ksy1969
    ksy1969 Posts: 700 Member
    Options

Did he ever deactivate?

Both who follow the exact same dieting principles.

Yep,I barely got through the sentence and realized this is the same person. Interesting that they still haven't deactivated their old account. Probably didn't because everyone said he should. I noticed their Adios post from yesterday has been removed.
  • Stiang
    Stiang Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Yesterday, I was looking forward to going home and enjoy the "Adios" thread - just to be crushed to find it was deleted. :brokenheart: