Need a better breakfast...Help please!

So I have been making these "skinny" smoothies to drink in the morning for breakfast, but I find an hour or so later I'm super hungry again, like I never ate. Does anyone have any helpful hints you could give me to make my a.m. smoothie more filling?

Replies

• Kelli8885
    Kelli8885 Posts: 13 Member
    What do your current smoothies consist of?
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    You could try eating food instead of drinking a smoothie and see if that better satiates you.

Try a few eggs and a big side of green vegetables and see how that holds you over as far as blunting hunger.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    I find that eggs or something full o' protein... like steak... does the trick.

I keep hardboiled eggs at work. Problem solved.
  • vmlabute
    vmlabute Posts: 311 Member
    For a more filling smoothies: add frozen berries, protein powder (containing about 15-20g of protein), milk (for a bit more calories), chia seeds, spinach (you can't taste it in smoothies).

I make a lot of smoothies so if you have any questions on eating healthier just ask :) and add me!!
  • missADS1981
    missADS1981 Posts: 364 Member
    add fiber to your shake, chia seeds, whey protein.
  • leahraskie
    leahraskie Posts: 260 Member
    Liquid stuff doesn't really fill me up either. You could try apples and pb, I've been eating that lately. Now trying that and blueberries. Same stuff that goes into the smoothie eaten by it's might help more. Cut the juice though if you're eating the fruit. Juice is crazy full of sugar without the good stuff of the fruit.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Eat a bowl of oatmeal. 1/2 cup oats, 1 cup water, 2 minutes in the microwave, add a little sweetener and you should be good to go for a couple of hours without hunger or a mid-morning crash. If you want more protein, eat an egg also.
  • BetterKimmer
    BetterKimmer Posts: 178 Member
    Saute a cup of spinach in a skillet, add half cup cooked quinoa and 2 oz cooked turkey to warm, add 1 egg and half cup egg whites, scramble. Top with salsa and Whaallaa! Less than 350 calories and protein packed. So filling and keeps you satisfied for hours. And if it sounds like a lot of work, it only takes less than 10 minutes if you have precook the quinoa and turkey. Plus turkey and quinoa is great to have hanging around for easy meals anyway. :smile:
  • oinkerjnn
    oinkerjnn Posts: 85 Member
    Buy a quality non stick pan and make an omelette. Use egg whites, four tablespoons is 20 grams protein and 100 calories.

If you're pressed for time, get your veggies pre chopped from a salad bar.

I'm eating one right now.

Four Servings egg whites
    One oz cabots. Hunters sharp cheddar
    3 oz pork tenderloin
    1/3 An avocado
    Onions
    Mushrooms
    Broccoli rabe
    Salt pepper hot sauce

That sounds like a ton of ingredients but two are leftover from dinner last night, and if you use the salad bar trick the whole thing will take ten minutes.

Nutrition is 540/15/54 calories carbs protein. Obviously you can adjust that up and down, and I'm eating it for lunch and as a post workout meal to boot.
  • odusgolp
    Buy a quality non stick pan and make an omelette. Use egg whites, four tablespoons is 20 grams protein and 100 calories.

Four Servings egg whites
    3 oz pork tenderloin
    1/3 An avocado
    Onions
    Mushrooms
    Broccoli rabe
    Salt pepper hot sauce

That sounds like a ton of ingredients but two are leftover from dinner last night, and if you use the salad bar trick the whole thing will take ten minutes.

Nutrition is 540/15/54 calories carbs protein. Obviously you can adjust that up and down, and I'm eating it for lunch and as a post workout meal to boot.

I'd eat this.
  • ge1880
    ge1880 Posts: 2
    If you like smoothies, you may find that the addition of cinnamon (keeps blood sugar level) and/or healthy fats helps. This Banana Date and Almond Shake keeps me satisfied until lunch: http://deliciouslyella.com/recipe/banana-date-and-almond-shake-dairy-free/

I've also tweaked the origional recipe--add 3 tablespoons of pumpkin puree, .5 teaspoons of ground ginger, a sprinkle of nutmeg, and a pinch of clove--it's pumpkin pie in a glass!
  • oinkerjnn

Four Servings egg whites
    3 oz pork tenderloin
    1/3 An avocado
    Onions
    Mushrooms
    Broccoli rabe
    Salt pepper hot sauce

I'd eat this.
    Keep in mind I did a hard workout an hour before, I eat a scaled back version for breakfast a lot with goat cheese instead of cheddar and chicken instead of pork, and less of everything else. The avocado adds an extra 100 calories but is chock full of goodness.

The good nonstick allows you to just use a single spray of cooking oil of choice.
  • cmsandvig
    cmsandvig Posts: 4 Member
    I've been making them with almond milk babnanas adn 1/4 cup oatmeal..the bananas are also crazy high in sugar :p
  • odusgolp
    I've been making them with almond milk babnanas adn 1/4 cup oatmeal..the bananas are also crazy high in sugar :p

tumblr_m7y6jf7zoR1r6p48c.gif
  • cmsandvig
    Yeah, one of the issues I am running into is that bananas actuially have allot of sugar, berries will probably be a better choice. What kind of protein powder should I use?......I really just wanna eat a muffin lol but I am determined to loose weight, so no muffin today. :)
  • cmsandvig
    Plus I have been doing the couch to 5 K and one the days I jog, I am STARVING all morning; eggs mat be the way to go :)
    Thank you!
  • Buy a quality non stick pan and make an omelette. Use egg whites, four tablespoons is 20 grams protein and 100 calories.

Four Servings egg whites
    3 oz pork tenderloin
    1/3 An avocado
    Onions
    Mushrooms
    Broccoli rabe
    Salt pepper hot sauce

I'd eat this.

^^--- Protein is what you need. Ditch the shakeology and eat the "coach" if you have to.
  • oinkerjnn
    Plus I have been doing the couch to 5 K and one the days I jog, I am STARVING all morning; eggs mat be the way to go :)
    Thank you!
    My other go to breakfast is two hard boiled eggs. I like the omega 3 organics but that's just me. Its good to get some omega 3s early in the day.

I actually like a shake for breakfast though, but my shakes are big and filling, around 450 calories, though I usually save a third or so for an afternoon snack.

Plain Greek yogurt
    Leafy green of choice
    Scoop or scoop and a half protein
    2 T flax seed meal
    Handful of berries
    Half a frozen banana
    Almond butter if I'm feeling froggy

I'm surety ere are a million studies that show this, but if you eat a big breakfast you will eat smaller meals throughout the day. I had to force myself to start doing this. I used to drink coffee and call it breakfast, then be starving at 10, eat a granola bar, and then eat a giant lunch and become comatose.
  • Barbellarella_
    Barbellarella_ Posts: 454 Member
    Yeah, one of the issues I am running into is that bananas actuially have allot of sugar, berries will probably be a better choice. What kind of protein powder should I use?......I really just wanna eat a muffin lol but I am determined to loose weight, so no muffin today. :)

you can eat a muffin whenever you like. Eating a muffin will not cause you to "not lose weight", if its fits into your calorie goal.

And I eat bananas almost everyday, have NO problem losing. WHATS UP WITH ALL YOU BANANA HATERS!
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    I tried shakes also I like real food. I have 2 servings steel cut oats and one serving Fage Total 34g Protien and 67g Carb 17g of Fat. Fills me right up for about 4 hours for a total of 560 caloires.
    Also I eat a bananna and a apple a day sometimes ill even eat two banannas oh my.