I am having a hard time conquering my laziness..

Options
2»

Replies

• zip_girl
    zip_girl Posts: 29
    Options
    when I started my goal to becoming healthier, I felt the same way. I found that I have always enjoyed water so I joined a water aerobics class. if u find an activity that u enjoy, its much easier to exercise when it doesn't feel like exercise... does that make sense? lol. it was a small class, listened to good tunes and had a very upbeat teacher... before I knew it, the hour was over and I eventually started doing 2 classes in a row. try out new things until u find something that u enjoy and makes u feel good when ur done :)

That's a good idea! Thanks for the suggestion I will definitely be trying to find something that I enjoy doing.
  • mimishark
    mimishark Posts: 1
    Options
    Awareness of your emotional state is a beginning. I have learned over the years that my MINDSET is the most important thing in keeping my life in order. Find your "why" in your life. Why do you want to make changes, what is important to you, What do you WANT to do? Begin by answering these questions, then you have a decision. How bad do you want it? How important is it to you? What is important to you, you will find a way. If it is not important or not really your desire, you will find a way to ignore or sabotage your efforts.:flowerforyou:
  • zip_girl
    Options
    I think we all deal with laziness to some extent. It is a lot of work to make changes in our life. I guess when we have had it, then we do something about it. I stayed in a marriage for 16 years before making a change. I got up to 208 lbs and got really miserable then made a change. I had a job (seems I have got better with this the older I got) and got good and miserable then left, wish I had left earlier but like you said lazy (it is a lot of work to change but well worth it) When I got my butt in gear and tried different stuff it worked out good! Change is frightening but we don't want to miss the good stuff.

Thanks for the response, you're so right ! Good for you for making the changes!
  • zip_girl
    Options
    Awareness of your emotional state is a beginning. I have learned over the years that my MINDSET is the most important thing in keeping my life in order. Find your "why" in your life. Why do you want to make changes, what is important to you, What do you WANT to do? Begin by answering these questions, then you have a decision. How bad do you want it? How important is it to you? What is important to you, you will find a way. If it is not important or not really your desire, you will find a way to ignore or sabotage your efforts.:flowerforyou:

That is great advice, I'm going to do that. Thanks!
  • UsernameisNick
    Options
    I had a hard time dealing with laziness as well. (I do IT work so sitting through 10-14 hour shifts didn't help)

It all comes back to establishing a routine. Personally I used to drink iced caps every morning to help me wake me. I made a decision to walk to the coffee shop instead of making my own at the office. Eventually it started to become a routine for me to walk every morning. (also slowly replaced my need for caffeine)

Once that becomes a part of your day you can expand on it and slowly add in different kinds of workouts. (jogging, swimming, yoga etc) The key thing I've found is to find a way to motivate yourself to start. For myself it was caffeine so I could function through my long shifts

The same concept can be applied to many other things.
    Good luck on your goals.
  • zip_girl
    Options
    I had a hard time dealing with laziness as well. (I do IT work so sitting through 10-14 hour shifts didn't help)

It all comes back to establishing a routine. Personally I used to drink iced caps every morning to help me wake me. I made a decision to walk to the coffee shop instead of making my own at the office. Eventually it started to become a routine for me to walk every morning. (also slowly replaced my need for caffeine)

Once that becomes a part of your day you can expand on it and slowly add in different kinds of workouts. (jogging, swimming, yoga etc) The key thing I've found is to find a way to motivate yourself to start. For myself it was caffeine so I could function through my long shifts

The same concept can be applied to many other things.
    Good luck on your goals.

Thanks responding. I have a desk job too and an 1hr commute so I think long days contribute to my problem too. But I'm going to like you said and try to start small and build up my activity level. Thanks!!
  • plainjoe81
    plainjoe81 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Two things have worked for me in your regard, a short 15 min walk is an easy habit to start with. Second setting goals with small rewards when they are achieved with a possible large reward once the overall objective is reached. Make sure you follow through with the rewards.
  • zip_girl
    Options
    Two things have worked for me in your regard, a short 15 min walk is an easy habit to start with. Second setting goals with small rewards when they are achieved with a possible large reward once the overall objective is reached. Make sure you follow through with the rewards.

Those are good ideas, thanks!
  • tbpmt
    tbpmt Posts: 4
    Options
    There are apps that can help with motivating to accomplish things. For me, it's easier to try to attain goals when I can actually visually see progress (or sometimes lack of, lol). Lift, Habit List, Way of Life, Unstuck,IPro Habit Trackerk etc. are examples of apps that could be used.

Celebrate the little victories and try not to worry too much about the rest. :)
  • zip_girl
    Options
    There are apps that can help with motivating to accomplish things. For me, it's easier to try to attain goals when I can actually visually see progress (or sometimes lack of, lol). Lift, Habit List, Way of Life, Unstuck,IPro Habit Trackerk etc. are examples of apps that could be used.

Celebrate the little victories and try not to worry too much about the rest. :)

Thanks I will check these out!
  • cld1075
    cld1075 Posts: 25
    Options
    I'm guilty of the same thing. I can think of 100 things I can be doing around the house (cleaning, laundry, etc) rather than exercising. This makes me wonder when I'm going to fit the household stuff in and I get aggravated and tackle household chores instead. I received some good advice though. I'm worth it. I'm worth taking the time out to take care of me. I've just got to apply it now. The laundry will still be there after I exercise. No one else is going to do it I assure you...lol. I'll figure out how to fit it all in eventually, and with the extra energy I should have with getting healthier, it should get easier. :)
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    Ex coach potato here and actually cant believe i made the change. I work from home and used to believe i didnt have the time to exercise. I also used to believe that the only way to do it was through the gym until i joined this site. I now make sure i exercise at least 30 mins a day 6 times a week. I have just made it part of my daily routine like it or not. But what you will like is how you feel and look after a while. It really is worth it. Once you start i bet you will start ticking off your other things on your list one by one. (Dont try and tackle everything in one go otherwise it may be too overwhelming).

Remember if the gym is not your thing you tube, fitnessblender.com, hasfit.com have lots to choose from all from 5 mins +. Good luck you can do it.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    It all comes back to establishing a routine.
    I couldn't agree with this more.

Start small. Form a a habit of exercising (this can take 2 - 3 weeks). Build up your routine over time; add distance or new exercises. A year later it can be quite surprising how far you can progress from a sedentary starting point.