HRM Calories Burned?

Options
I'm getting one soon..but would like to see a list of some various activities you do while wearing them and how many calories you burn?

Replies

• carl1738
    carl1738 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    You wear it while you're doing your regular workout and it gives you a more accurate count of the calories that you have burned, as compared to using the calorie counters on MFP.
  • WalkingGirl1985
    WalkingGirl1985 Posts: 2,047 Member
    Options
    Can you get a wrist one like you would wear a watch?
  • udallmom101
    udallmom101 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Everyone's calories burned is going to be different. That depends on your weight and your target heart rate. I do a 30 minute workout on my elliptical and I will burn more than a friend who is a little lighter than me who does the same workout. I love my HRM. I am sure you will love yours too!
  • Sporty98
    Sporty98 Posts: 321 Member
    Options

I bought a Mio.....It was under $50 (I bought last year's model), and doesn't require a chest strap. I has a watch, so you can time your work out too. I really like it!
  • udallmom101
    udallmom101 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    To get a more accurate count you really need one that has a chest strap. Mine is a Polar F6. I have a watch, but I also have a chest strap that more accurately watches my heart rate. The ones without a chest strap you have to keep tapping them to make sure they are counting your current heart rate. Just do so research and search around for the one that works for you.
  • gdunn55
    gdunn55 Posts: 363
    Options
    I bought one on Friday.. Used it Saturday and yesterday. Was real pleased with the results. Now I've read various threads here where everyone tells you to get the strap, and I gotta agree.. Now I will say this, the strap can be uncomfortable, but it's actually a cool little tool to have. I do know last night the stationary bike I was on was about a beat or two off of what my HMR said on my wrist receiver..
  • kendradl
    kendradl Posts: 595 Member
    Options

Yes you can, I ordered mine last week and it is like a watch I wouldn't get anything but, can't wait for mine to get here so I can start using it there are many a time I wish I had already had it. I can't wait to see how it compares to what the machines at the gym say.
  • NanBar
    NanBar Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I love mine- it is a Polar F6. It is amazingly accurate. I do not have an issue with the check strap- I do not even know I am wearing it!
  • AdamATGATT
    AdamATGATT Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    With a wrist HRM, you'll need to press it at regular intervals to determine your heart rate. It's only getting snapshots of your workout, not an overall average.

Example one: During your exercise, you take your readings during your rest periods, as during some exercises it's physically impossible to take a reading. So, it's only going to read your HR during those rest periods, giving you a lower average. This will give you a lower calorie burn at the end.

Example two: You're doing interval cardio, and for some reason only take your readings while you are at your peak physical exertion. Your HRM isn't going to take into account your rest periods, giving you a higher average. It may display a higher calorie burn at the end.

With a HRM that uses a chest strap it will constantly be taking readings. It'll average your low and high points of the workout, and everything in between, giving you a more accurate calorie burn at the end.
  • AdamATGATT
    AdamATGATT Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    I bought one on Friday.. Used it Saturday and yesterday. Was real pleased with the results. Now I've read various threads here where everyone tells you to get the strap, and I gotta agree.. Now I will say this, the strap can be uncomfortable, but it's actually a cool little tool to have. I do know last night the stationary bike I was on was about a beat or two off of what my HMR said on my wrist receiver..

Be aware, that some HRM's signals can be picked up be your equipment. Unless your HRM has a coded signal, the equipment (Crosstalk enabled ones?) may be showing what your HRM is putting out. There have been stories of these signals also messing with nearby equipment's HR readings.
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I have a polar FT4 with chest strap and I wear it for every workout. Zumba, P90X, ellitical, running or walking, even swimming.

I love it. Best peice of fitness equipment I own!!
  • Sporty98
    Sporty98 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    With the wrist HRM you just need to be sure you check your HR when you increase and decrease intensity. If you are into your work-outs, you know when that is anyway....It's not a big deal to check.

I do know that the one I have is typically much lower than the MFP database on all exercises. I've heard that the database uses an average weight of 150 lbs. for the exercise calories burned calculator. If you weight quite a bit less than that, you'll be off by quite a bit.
  • kjensen15
    kjensen15 Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I have a polar FT4 with chest strap and I wear it for every workout. Zumba, P90X, ellitical, running or walking, even swimming.

I love it. Best peice of fitness equipment I own!!

Have the same one and I completely agree with you! I love it!
  • Mary_Burris
    Options

I bought a MIO and I absolutly HATED it! :mad: it is not CONSTANTLY monitoring your HR you have to hold the buttons down for it to monitor your HR and so it was not that acurate. I immetialy took it back and paid the extra $30 and got a Polar F6 and it does have a chest strap but I forget I have mine on all the time but the strap is what is monitoring your HR all the time so it is more acurate.