Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Considering getting a hybrid bike. Thoughts?

I'm heavily considering investing in a hybrid bike. I'd primarily like to use it for commute to work/the park/etc. What're your thoughts & experiences? I like the versatility factor and have read that it makes for a stable commute bike (my work is roughly 7 miles away).

I'd just like some input before I take the plunge. :)

Replies

• jagi410
    jagi410 Posts: 97 Member
    Look for a "fitness" bike instead. It's a faster version of a hybrid, but not quite a full road bike. Same price range. You'll give up a little upright sitting position for more speed and efficiency. Much more enjoyable for weekend rides of longer distances too.
  • Look for a "fitness" bike instead. It's a faster version of a hybrid, but not quite a full road bike. Same price range. You'll give up a little upright sitting position for more speed and efficiency. Much more enjoyable for weekend rides of longer distances too.
    yeh, I have a hybrid and it makes for a nice cycle around the park but if you're cycling 7 miles+ on it then it's going to be too heavy and tiring.
  • blushpeonies
    blushpeonies Posts: 101 Member
    I have a hybrid - I just switched to more of a commuter hybrid rather than a comfort one. It makes my commute to work SO MUCH NICER!
  • lckamnetz
    lckamnetz Posts: 6
    I used to have a hybrid bike, and I wasn't a fan - it was hard to get going fast and hard to traverse hills. My commute to work is about 10 miles, 3 of which are very hilly. I just recently got a (lower end) road bike that wasn't much more expensive than my hybrid, and totally worth it. Either way make sure you get your bike/seat properly fitted when you buy.
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    I love my hybrid bike.

I have a Kona Dew Deluxe. I don't find it heavy or cumbersome for long rides.

Not as fast as a roadie bike by faster than my hardtail mountain bike which I used for both commuting and trail riding for 4 years.
  • slomo22
    slomo22 Posts: 125 Member
    I had a hybrid bike for 5 years and I loved it. I rode it about 2-3 miles a day (round trip) to get to classes in college. It's definitely not as fast or efficient as a road bike, but a little bit more comfortable. My bike was also cheap, around $180 from Target. You may want a road bike if you’re going farther or over a lot of hills.
  • drearewal
    drearewal Posts: 23
    Thank you guys for your input!! :) totally appreciate it.

Now my question is: where did you guys get your bikes? (I read Target!)
  • altorose
    altorose Posts: 2
    I used to have an entry-level Trek hybrid that I loved. I got it fitted with some commuting gear (fenders, rear rack, etc.) and used it to commute to the train station (~4 miles each way) during the summer months. As far as bikes go, it was a very comfortable ride, but very heavy and not fast at all. If speed is important to you and/or your commute involves any hills (mine was mostly flat), I'd recommend going for a lighter road bike.

My bike came from a local bike shop and cost around $400.
  • vincelaccro
    vincelaccro Posts: 22 Member
    300$ - 500$ for a good hybrid bike some bikes can lower the handle bar to lower air resistance
    if you want to go faster and you can also raise it for more comfort.
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Thank you guys for your input!! :) totally appreciate it.

Now my question is: where did you guys get your bikes? (I read Target!)

Depending on how much use you plan to get out of it.

If you are looking for a daily rider - go to a bike shop and pay a little more for a better quality bike

If you aren't looking for a daily rider - a bike from target will work, but i would still recommend a bike shop.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    I have a Giant Escape that I got a couple years ago at a bike shop for $450. It's nice! I've never had a road bike or mountain bike though so I can't really compare it to anything. I'm training for a mini-duathlon on it (just an 8 mile bike ride in between 2 short runs). Anything longer and I might get a road bike but 8 miles is totally fine.