Do smaller people really need less calories?

Options
2»

Replies

• aedreana
    aedreana Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Whereas a person's weight is generally the largest factor in determining maintenance calories, it doesn't apply 100% across-the-board. Glamour magazine said to allow 15 calories per pound per day for a person of moderate activity to maintain, 19 calories per pound per day for someone in Marine boot camp or training for the Olympics. Most of the calories we consume go toward keeping our body temperature normal. People who exercise can burn some calories while exercising, and may have a higher metabolic rate even at rest..However, a person's metabolism can be fast even if they are sedentary, and they will require more calories to maintain than the average person of their weight and activity level. I am like that. I am very sedentary; yet, every time I tried to maintain 112 on 1680 calories (I am 5' 3 1/2"), I lost weight instead. I will soon be facing the daunting problem of determining my maintenance calories, because I am near to goal, and I don't want to continue to lose weight after I reach goal. I am 61 and my metabolism has never slowed down-- yet, that is. The future may or may not hold that nasty little prospect in store for me! I have a theory that stress/worry (financial) burns calories; however, it's only a theory and not necessarily a valid explanation of why I lose weight on 1680 calories.
  • hl05
    hl05 Posts: 7
    Options
    I'm short too, standing at 5"2, and I do feel that 1300-1500 calories is too little. I ate 1300 a day for 2 months and lost 7lbs, so I amped up the amount of calorie intake and realized that I could eat 1600 and still manage to lose weight. Heck, it was only 3 years ago I could eat a medium size pizza and not gain weight. Some people just have faster metabolisms. Also, eating the right foods really help. I also found that drinking tea such as green tea and tartary buckwheat tea (my current favourite) really helps with my metabolism and such.
  • Lemongrab13
    Lemongrab13 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I don't think MFP's calculation system is good. At all. I'm 6'3 and they advised me to eat 1600 calories, which is 200 calories below my BMR (base metabolic rate, which is how much you need to eat doing nothing at all to keep you functioning).
    I'd suggest calculating your BMR and TDEE elsewhere.
    Use this as a great guide http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/931670-bmr-and-tdee-explained-for-those-needing-a-guide
  • jzsunshine61
    jzsunshine61 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Oh, you have no idea how many times I have sat across a table from one of my tall relatives and felt jealous because they can eat twice as much as I can and maintain a decently healthy weight! If I eat 1200-1300 (measured and weighed calories) I gain weight! This due to my age and hypothyroidism. I'm on my feet moving most days from dawn until dusk. I'm not much of a TV watcher. I finally have been able to lose a few pounds due to my doctor switching my medication to Armour Thyroid. It's still frustratingly slow weight loss!!! Oh, and since I had to stop eating all dairy products - I am not hungry in the least! Bragging is just not a very nice thing in this hypothyroid group.
  • sarafischbach9
    sarafischbach9 Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Smaller people do need less calories, but all small people are not made the same and all small people do not live the same lifestyle. Other things that can influence maintenance calories are: activity level and lean body mass. People with more muscle burn more calories naturally. People who exercise more or have active jobs need more calories. 1300 calories seemed low for you , even at your size. I would expect you to maintain on 1500 to 1700 calories. If you begin exercising more, that can go up.

You are probably more active than you think.
  • sarafischbach9
    sarafischbach9 Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Whereas a person's weight is generally the largest factor in determining maintenance calories, it doesn't apply 100% across-the-board. Glamour magazine said to allow 15 calories per pound per day for a person of moderate activity to maintain, 19 calories per pound per day for someone in Marine boot camp or training for the Olympics. Most of the calories we consume go toward keeping our body temperature normal. People who exercise can burn some calories while exercising, and may have a higher metabolic rate even at rest..However, a person's metabolism can be fast even if they are sedentary, and they will require more calories to maintain than the average person of their weight and activity level. I am like that. I am very sedentary; yet, every time I tried to maintain 112 on 1680 calories (I am 5' 3 1/2"), I lost weight instead. I will soon be facing the daunting problem of determining my maintenance calories, because I am near to goal, and I don't want to continue to lose weight after I reach goal. I am 61 and my metabolism has never slowed down-- yet, that is. The future may or may not hold that nasty little prospect in store for me! I have a theory that stress/worry (financial) burns calories; however, it's only a theory and not necessarily a valid explanation of why I lose weight on 1680 calories.

I am 5'3.5" and I lost weight too on around 1700 calories lol. I reached my goal weight and was trying to maintain and then I lost and went from 110 to 103 lbs.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,699 Member
    Options
    In general, smaller people need less calories. However, it is not really that simple a lot of the time as it depends on factors like

- medical issues
    - muscle mass
    - macro mix

Some have only a small impact, but it can all add up.

But very often, people are just not logging accurately.
    THIS and also adding that lots of people really AREN'T eating just 1300 calories and gaining weight. They somehow forget that little "binge" and don't record it.......................out of shame.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    They don't gain at 1300 unless there's some extenuating medical circumstances.

I wouldn't say that's true. MFP says at my goal weight I'll have a BMR of 1,110 calories/day. If I really put effort into sitting still in my chair all day, I'll be able to gain on less than 1400.

I don't plan on doing that, though. I've spent enough time being a desk sloth!
  • logg1e
    logg1e Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    It's "fewer".

Fewer calories.