Blisters from jogging. Any advise?

Options
Gw3nJa
Gw3nJa Posts: 40 Member
So I really new to jogging I just started a couple of days ago and I'm not really doing much to start if with just five minutes in a 2.2 mile walk. Today I got new shoes and when I came home I had three water blisters (fluid filled blisters) on my feet. Is this because of the new shoes, me being new to jogging? Anything I can do this help this not happen anymore or is it something that will just stop happening over time?

Replies

• stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Maybe both.

I never got blisters when I started, so I'd start looking into different shoes and/or socks.

Where are the blisters? That'll help you troubleshoot.
  • ingeborgv
    ingeborgv Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    What sort of socks are you wearing? Sweat transporting socks can make a huge difference.

But for me, blisters occur whenever I'm breaking in new shoes. I bring out the Compeed for a few weeks until the shoes fit me properly.
  • Gw3nJa
    Options
    Top of the little toe, bottom of the toe next to it, and behind the ball of my foot on the arch.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    Were you properly fitted for shoes at a running store?
  • dcresider
    dcresider Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    Cotton socks are the culprit. Get wicking socks and your feel will be quite happy. Oh and get fitted for good running shoes from a proper running store.
  • Gw3nJa
    Options
    What sort of socks are you wearing? Sweat transporting socks can make a huge difference.

But for me, blisters occur whenever I'm breaking in new shoes. I bring out the Compeed for a few weeks until the shoes fit me properly.

Didn't even know what Compeed was. Now that I looked it up I'm going to make that investment.
  • wrbiii
    wrbiii Posts: 151
    Options
    Temporarily, you can use duct tape both on your foot where you are blistered (on bare skin) and on the sock in hot spots (on the outside of the sock). It will decrease friction and irritation.
  • Gw3nJa
    Options
    I'm wearing cotton right now but will be looking into the other socks. I wasn't fitted for these (I didn't want to invest in the best running shoes when I was just starting and it will be awhile before I start running.) I would normally wear a 9 9.5 wide but since it's so hard to find wide shoes and got a 10.5 for the little extra room in the sides.
  • booa313
    booa313 Posts: 2
    Options
    Yes because of new to jogging and Yes because of new shoes. I would recommend Thorolo running socks. Since I switch to them, I have never had a blister. You can buy them online.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Top of the toe sounds like either the toe box is too shallow or your sock is getting bunched up on your little toe.

The ones on the bottom of your toe and foot are from friction when pushing off. Make sure your foot is secure in the shoe. If you can feel your foot slip when you push off, that can cause these kinds of blisters. If you're using cotton socks, stop and get some that wick.
  • misssiri
    misssiri Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Running shoes are too expensive and don't have a long enough life span to "break-in". If I get blisters in new shoes, they go back to the store and I try a different brand. Get fitted for shoes at a running store. Usually they will allow you to test them and exchange them if they don't work. Also, cotton is rotten when it comes to running. Don't wear cotton socks.
  • raaachelmarie
    raaachelmarie Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Running shoes are a big investment, so I understand not wanting to spend the money before you're sure about sticking with it. In the meantime, Band-aid brand makes a friction block stick and whenever I have new shoes, I rub that on my heels and the sides of my feet. It really helps to prevent blisters, imo.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    I think the fit of the shoe is more important than specific socks. I suggest getting properly fitted for shoes that address your specific needs.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,952 Member
    Options
    Keep your feet dry (no cotton socks) and try those socks with the double layer - one stays with your foot and slips against the other so that nothing is rubbing directly on your feet.

After a few weeks, if that doesn't work... you probably bought the wrong shoes :(
  • drbethaney
    drbethaney Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm a long distance runner. You need to go to a professional running shoe store and have them fit you. I was surprised when I first began running that my running shoe is 1-1.5 sizes larger than my street shoe. Also, the way your foot moves can also affect what type of shoe you need. I need a shoe with stability and cushion. I got some blisters from a shoe that was too narrow. I returned them the next day.
  • Kelly1552013
    Kelly1552013 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Can't help you with how to avoid them, but I absolutely love Spenco brand blister/burn kits. They are water gel pads held together with mesh. You cut them to fit and then place moleskin over the entire area to keep it in place. Feels heavenly when applied and will protect the blistered area from further friction/pain. Highly highly recommend this.
  • jnord8729
    jnord8729 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Bodyglide solves any blister problem!
  • mblair50
    mblair50 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I was getting blisters on tops of toes and along sides of big toe. I have shoes fitted at specialty footwear store and am use wicking socks.
    My sister in law had same problem and told me about Injinji toe socks. I gave them a try and I've had no more blisters since. I bought Original Weight Mini-Crew, and Lightweight No-Show. I like the lightweight better than original weight. They are a little pricey $12 a pair but I figured not getting blisters made them worth it.

Hope this helps, here is web site http://www.injinji.com you can also get them at Amazon :smokin:
  • patb987
    patb987 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Having great running shoes is sooo important though, joint pain all around, knees are not something you want to risk running on bad shoes. Having bad shoes and getting these pains are more likely to keep you from running more.
  • RunnersLament
    RunnersLament Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Blisters are normal to a degree when you start running. But you can reduce the frequency of them. Cotton is rotten...that is the first mantra to learn when dressing for running.

Wet cotton is like sandpaper and will cause blisters and chafing wherever it rubs.

Try a sock and apparel advertised as DryFit, CoolMax DryWeave as these will reduce the blistering and chafing.

On the interim there are a few other things you can do to reduce chafing and blistering. These include applying Vaseline to known friction spots, second skin\mole skin patches, and if you don't believe duct tape can fix most things... duct tape. A single roll of duct tape has hundreds of applications and is much cheaper than mole skin patches. Both do the same thing.

One endurance runs... typically 20Km or longer and depending on the heat/ moisture levels, I will apply a strip of duct tape over the areas on my feet that are prone to blistering. This is applied directly to the skin. This creates a near frictionless glide point that will eliminate a great deal of chafing. Human sweat is a solvent that wears at the glue, such that when you are done, it should peel straight off with the greatest of ease.

Hope this helps!

Welcome to running!