Is it bad to have a cookie while I'm on my diet?

Options

Replies

• jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    If you have the free calories for it.. GO FOR IT! :)

:drinker:
  • kmariet7
    kmariet7 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    It's like a wise nutritionist says, "A cookie is a sometimes food." ;)

Pretty sure I heard a blue monster sing that too :)
  • Ayesha72
    Ayesha72 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm low carbing so I cookie would be a no no for me.. but if you are not low carbing and it fits in your daily calories then by all means - EAT THE COOKIE : ) And enjoy!
  • Missfit35
    Missfit35 Posts: 75
    Options
    Hell no! it's not bad. have your cookie and eat it then get back on the horse and ride. Don't make this a habbit or you will be like me busting *kitten* running 10 miles to burn off the whole can of cinnamon rolls with sugar I ate! whoop whoop!!!

BALANCE IS KEY IN THIS GAME IF YOU EAT A COOKIE ADD A LITTLE EXTRA TIME TO YOUR CARDIO FOR THE DAY... TO BURN IT OFF... IT'S PERFECTLY OK!!! Keep on keeping on Good Luck!
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    What kind of cookie are we talking about. If its any good then no way you can stop at just 1. So my advice is have the cookie, but make sure it it one of those hard, out of date, crack your jaw type cookie from the corner gas station. That way you will most likely only eat half and will chuck the rest.

DO NOT have an Entenmanns Chocolate chip cookie. Actually there is no such think as an Enternmann's chocolate chip cookie, the can't exist in single units (you have to eat like 3 at once). Right now I'm trying to figure out how I will stop myself from buying (and eating ) a box on the way home. They are so soft and delicious. Myfitnesspal is going to ban me from the site if I keep giving praise to those tasty and joy bringing cookies. :-)

Whatever. ;)

If that were true, I would have been banned ages ago for spreading my love of whole Talenti pints in one sitting. I'm still standing *looks around warily*

The truth is 9/10 diets fail because people fail to address that their issue isn't the food. It's their relationship WITH the food that got them in trouble.

There's nothing inherently wrong with any food and placing moral value on it is when it takes power and becomes a war against the "good, clean" vs "bad, junk". None of those words have any meaning.

A diet comprised solely of apples is no better than one of nothing but pizza.

Moderation is the key to success.
  • CA_Underdog
    CA_Underdog Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's totally okay to have a cookie, donut, ice cream, etc. Just make sure you hit your calorie goals (to lose weight) and your nutrient goals (for health). Those naturally limit how many cookies you can eat.
  • Cinflo58
    Cinflo58 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Maybe you can have a cookie. But I know at this point in time, I can not eat a freaking cookie. I bought a box of 24 Belvita cookies at costco. They fooled me into thinking that they were healthy. I guess because it says "nutrition steady energy". One packet of 4 "breakfast biscuits" is 230 calories with 4 grams of fiber. Well that's fine if you eat one package, but I couldn't stop and I ate 3. So yeah, you can have one cookie. But I know I can't. I am just not that strong.
  • CA_Underdog
    CA_Underdog Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    So yeah, you can have one cookie. But I know I can't. I am just not that strong.
    Buy them individually or in small packages from your local grocer to avoid this. :)
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    You don't have to "do extra cardio to burn it off". I haven't even logged my workout yet, and I'm still under, have met all my macros (carbs are a little low), and I had a very high calorie gelato for breakfast this morning. Just trying to make a point here. This is how disordered thinking can happen, if you feel bad about what you ate. Please check out the Fitting it in link I posted earlier. It's helped a lot of people change the way they eat for the better.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Maybe you can have a cookie. But I know at this point in time, I can not eat a freaking cookie. I bought a box of 24 Belvita cookies at costco. They fooled me into thinking that they were healthy. I guess because it says "nutrition steady energy". One packet of 4 "breakfast biscuits" is 230 calories with 4 grams of fiber. Well that's fine if you eat one package, but I couldn't stop and I ate 3. So yeah, you can have one cookie. But I know I can't. I am just not that strong.

I prefer to buy single servings of my treats for this reason :). That, or use the trash can when it's clear I can't control myself and I'm about to eat up some huge batch of cookies. Kind of annoying still having this problem. I'd love to keep graham crackers or saltines in the house to make cheesecake like deserts or fried chicken a bit more spontaneously, but can't, because I keep eating up the cookies
  • bergpa
    bergpa Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    It is bad if you don't share. Did you bring enough cookies for all of us?
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options

That's why going to Subway and having ONE cookie is a good idea. You can indulge but there are no extras sitting around for you to binge on.
  • lambchristie
    lambchristie Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    are you never, ever going to eat cookies again? work them into your calorie budget and enjoy.

this isn't a diet, its a lifestyle change. nothing is off limits, portion control and moderation is this key.
  • sunburntgalaxy
    sunburntgalaxy Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    I have been trying to lose weight since mid-April. I have a couple cookies, or a couple mini-cupcakes, or some ice cream or gelato every day. I am down 39 pounds. If you have the ability to eat one or two and then stop, go for it. My boyfriend - he can't stop at one or two - if he wants to loose weight he can't start because he can't stop. But a cookie or two - probably very easy to fit into your calories. You just have to plan for it (for example - I skipped the donuts at work today because I would rather have the tasty mini-cupcakes at home tonight).
  • TheNoLeafClover
    TheNoLeafClover Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Don't follow this!

If you want the cookie make it fit into your day, yesterday I made these yummy brownies they are filled with Reese's peanut butter cups, Rolo's, cream cheese, and crushed pretzel sticks. I had 2 of the brownies yesterday and they fit into my day without a problem.

sbot9w.png

You can eat treats just make sure you are making it a part of a well balanced diet.

:heart: :love: Recipe?
  • stephe1987
    stephe1987 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    The thing about a diet is that it needs to be a lifestyle change, something that you will be able to maintain even after you reach your goal (so you don't gain the weight back). Have a set number of calories that you cannot go over. Keep your diet at 80% healthy foods that are nutritious (carbs, fats, proteins macros) and 20% indulgent (foods that are high in sugar or sodium). Unless you have a health problem that requires you to eat higher levels of certain things (I read one poster who had to eat high levels of sodium because of a heart condition), this is a good rule to follow. The problem with not eating cookies is that it will make you want a cookie that much more and you're more likely to binge down the road. But if you allow yourself to have one cookie every once in a while, a small treat that fits your macros, that is a path to a healthier, sustainable diet.
  • boredlimodriver
    boredlimodriver Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    if y'all don't want your cookies, i'll take them.
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    Of COURSE! Jeez Louise, this is America isn't it? Have that dang cookie! Have two!