Binge eating and IIFYM

Options
MrsSchimmy
MrsSchimmy Posts: 255 Member
I have a feeling this may turn into a disaster. But I'm going to write the post anyways.

Why? Because I'm in need of a little bit of input from somewhere that I am still slightly anonymous.

THIS POST IS NOT TO DEBATE ANYTHING. This might be a joke to some but to me, this is my life.

Quick background:
After baby #3, I got down to my lowest weight EVER by watching my portions, eating at a pretty decent deficit, and taking a spin class nearly every day. I followed the old weight watchers plan and LOVED it. My lowest was 142 on a 5'9" frame which is basically a size 4 (I wore a loose 7). That is smaller than I was pre-kids. I maintained that for over a year with exercise and clean eating.

Then comes October 2013. After doing TONS of research for 2.5 years on food and fitness, I stumbled across IIFYM. I decided to try it and almost instantly I began to binge. It seems my willpower has gone out the window! I've gained almost 20 pounds and crave foods I've never craved before (mainly sweets). Granted, my physical strength is the best it has ever been and I don't "look" that much heavier according to those that know me, but that extra weight is not something I need in race season (runner here). I am not a "stress eater"... I am actually the opposite.

Has anyone else experienced this issue?

What are some things that have helped you to get "back on track"?

Again, input and advice (both of a positive manner) are welcome.

And don't tell me to "seek professional help." I realize where I am posting this and not looking for professional advice from a bunch of random people here.

Replies

• Barbellarella_
    Barbellarella_ Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Just curious here. What is the main difference that you see, between what you did before *eating at a deficit (which is calorie counting) *weight watchers (again a form of calorie counting), and now IIFYM (another form of calorie counting)?

You say that when you were at your smallest you ate a "pretty decent deficit", took a spin class and ate clean. There are a lot of people who "eat clean" (note I hate that term) while doing IIFYM.

I don't see why you have to eat so drastically different than you did before, you can basically eat at your deficit like before, just being more cautious of your macro targets. What I'm saying is, I don't know why you believe IIFYM is to blame for your binging. Timing might be a coincidence here.

Here is a really great resource for Binge eating disorder, go through all her articles if you can.
    http://brainoverbinge.blogspot.com/2012/06/tips-for-beginners.html
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    IIFYM is just one way of eating and creating a deficit, definitely not the only way and definitely not for everyone. It sounds like you were doing something that was working for you before. Why not just go back to that?
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    Just curious here. What is the main difference that you see, between what you did before *eating at a deficit (which is calorie counting) *weight watchers (again a form of calorie counting), and now IIFYM (another form of calorie counting)?

You say that when you were at your smallest you ate a "pretty decent deficit", took a spin class and ate clean. There are a lot of people who "eat clean" (note I hate that term) while doing IIFYM.

I don't see why you have to eat so drastically different than you did before, you can basically eat at your deficit like before, just being more cautious of your macro targets. What I'm saying is, I don't know why you believe IIFYM is to blame for your binging. Timing might be a coincidence here.

Here is a really great resource for Binge eating disorder, go through all her articles if you can.

That's a good point, hitting your macros doesn't HAVE to include "junk food" it just gives you more flexibilty to include all types (clean and not clean - whatever that really means) of food into your diet if you choose to.
  • __freckles__
    __freckles__ Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options

You, I like you. :wink: Agree.
  • MrsSchimmy
    Options

First, not looking for professional advice as I have battled eating disorders since I was young. Hence, why I included a disclaimer in my post.

With IIFYM, I got excited to try something different. I still ate like I used to but indulged in more crap than every before. Again, my weight went up (ED freaking out) and my strength increased greatly. The strength increase was wanted and I knew I would put on some pounds, but not 20. Since I stopped IIFYM about 6 months ago, I haven't been able to shake the cravings that came on since starting tracking my calories that way. Also, I did WW all the way until I hit maintenance.

What about timing? October comes and goes every year.

Basically, IIFYM allowed me to "indulge in bad habits" that I am trying to currently break and am looking for advice from others.

IFYM is just one way of eating and creating a deficit, definitely not the only way and definitely not for everyone. It sounds like you were doing something that was working for you before. Why not just go back to that?

I've been trying to go back but am fighting the cravings and such. I'm also trying to backtrack the healthy way and not slip into former eating disorder habits.

I'm not saying IIFYM is horrible. For some, it works great. Not so much for me. I've never been so obsessed with food in my life until starting IIFYM. But that's me.
  • ponyvillalobos
    ponyvillalobos Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    WHat is IIFYM ?
  • TrailNurse
    TrailNurse Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Why not try some Intermittent Fasting to break the cravings and bad habits?
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Try intermittent fasting. Either 14/10 or 16/8. I found it helped a lot with binge eating, taught me to realise I often ate while not hungry at all and made me think more carefully about my choices when I did eat. It can also break cycles of binge eating, if coupled with some decent exercise.
  • love8383
    love8383 Posts: 169
    Options
    Why not try some Intermittent Fasting to break the cravings and bad habits?

this is a good idea.
  • Airportchick
    Airportchick Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Not all deficits work for everyone. I know I could never do IIFYM. I agree with the PP that suggested you go back to what worked before.
  • MrsSchimmy
    Options
    Try intermittent fasting. Either 14/10 or 16/8. I found it helped a lot with binge eating, taught me to realise I often ate while not hungry at all and made me think more carefully about my choices when I did eat. It can also break cycles of binge eating, if coupled with some decent exercise.

I have looked very little into IF and am intrigued. I don't know if that stems from my previous battle with anorexia or not, but I'm willing to give it a go. What is "14/10 or 16/8"? I'm assuming that correlates to the hours you would be fasting each day?
  • 6spdeg
    6spdeg Posts: 394 Member
    Options
  • EmoJew
    EmoJew Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    From what i can gather, you're saying that the inclusion of some treats/cheats/junk/whatever you want to call it, in your diet has sparked cravings and binges. You also say you've suffered from Anorexia in the past? Based on these two pieces of information i wouldn't think Intermittent fasting would be a particularly intelligent choice.

Breaking a binge cycle or breaking the desire to fast/punish are both things that require you to reprogram your thought patterns, not just your diet. I would suggest that perhaps the best place to go for advice is wherever you went to gain help for your EDs....
  • MrsSchimmy
    Options
    From what i can gather, you're saying that the inclusion of some treats/cheats/junk/whatever you want to call it, in your diet has sparked cravings and binges. You also say you've suffered from Anorexia in the past? Based on these two pieces of information i wouldn't think Intermittent fasting would be a particularly intelligent choice.

Breaking a binge cycle or breaking the desire to fast/punish are both things that require you to reprogram your thought patterns, not just your diet. I would suggest that perhaps the best place to go for advice is wherever you went to gain help for your EDs....

Obviously.

I was looking for suggestions or to see if others have experienced similar issues. Call it .... brainstorming.

Yes, I did suffer from anorexia when I was younger. I also suffered from other EDs. Since this post, I have started IF. I'm currently on a 16/8 and love it. It has stopped my wanting to binge completely because I would most often binge at night. Since I eliminated that option from my schedule, it no longer happens. Most of the fasting happens while I sleep so it actually doesn't mess with my mind for the short time I am fasting in the morning while I am awake.

But as was said, I realize where I posted this thread and do not expect professional advice. With an ED, it is often hard to think outside of what is happening in your world at any given moment. So brainstorming ideas or hearing options that helped others in a similar situation can be quite effective in my own recovery.