tracking bites

Options
mommysews67
mommysews67 Posts: 60 Member
I try to stick with only eating what I plan but occasionally I want a bite of something else - my husband's dessert etc. Tonight was a great example. We were at a dinner and the salad came w/ part of a sliced strawberry. I could have picked it off, but I like strawberries so I ate it.

Do you track every bite you take (Which I am seriously trying to do because if I do not, I will bite my way to obesity) and if you do how do you track it on MFP?

Replies

• CindyMarcuzAdams
    CindyMarcuzAdams Posts: 4,006 Member
    Options
    It depends on what I am biting and how many calories I have left for the day. I had a bite of a burger king chicken burger and I actually logged it. Now tonight I have 66 calories remaining and had a tbsp of hubbys ice cream and I wont log it. If it would have put my calories over I likely wouldnt have had the bite. I am very anal about going over. Its so silly of me I know.
  • kpierson1987
    kpierson1987 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Bump for further replies
  • elv1ra
    elv1ra Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    considering a strawberry only has about 5 calories, no i wouldnt log it. but sometimes i do find myself making odd entries like i ate 0.15 servings of such and such because i try to be as accurate as possible.
  • elv1ra
    elv1ra Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    i guess it depends on how calorie dense the food is. one tablespoon of salsa doesnt matter to me at 5 or 10 calories. a tablespoon of peanutbutter at 100 calories is much different.
  • Janice2Shakira
    Options
    The other day I took a bite off my hubby's Snickers. I logged it as a fun size bar, even though in reality it was probably way less. Its usually safer to assume more than less. A bite off a salad, though? Search the database for a similar salad and guesstimate the portion if you need to, but honestly if your doing good for the day one bite of a salad won't throw you off.
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    yes, i log every bite i eat. i've logged a single strawberry a bunch of times or 1 ounce of milk. when possible, i weigh it. if not possible, i will consider 1 bite an ounce (it's probably smaller, but i stick with an ounce as i'd rather log over than under). mostly i don't casually take a bite of anything that i can't weigh or at least put in a tablespoon. eating casually is what put the weight on me, so i don't want to do that anymore. but that's just me. there is no one right way.
  • laurie04427
    laurie04427 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I agree with the person that said it depends on whether it's calorie dense. If I grab a bunch of grapes and eat them I don't count them sometimes. I'll estimate. If I'm cooking with oil yeah I measure. If I eat some chocolate I pay attention to how much. If I try a spoonful of the horrible chia pudding I made the other day nope didn't bother counting it.

But yeah I pretty much log everything even though it's sometimes estimations.
  • ajff
    ajff Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    Agree with calorie density comments. If I am cooking and take a tiny taste for seasoning, that bite is free.

Also, it depends what I do that day. The other day on vacation I did 17,000 steps (and didn't count them as exercise). I didn't log the 2 french fries I stole from my kid, I figured I had earned them somewhere in St. Louis!
  • melissaw78
    melissaw78 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    No, not every bite lick and taste, but when it is not feasible to measure something out, I round up, *just in case*.