Repairing your broken furnace (Metabolism)

Options
18910111214»

Replies

• John2347
    John2347 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    bump
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    Points 1, 8, 9, and 10 are good.

The others (my personal opinion follows)...

Never go too long without food – not more than 3-4 waking hours. Starvation is not the way to lose fat.
    You're not going to go into starvation after 4 hours.

3. No foods are evil, even ones out of a box. Eat them in moderation but you don't have to outright avoid them.

4. Food combinations are unnecessary. Also, another avoidance statement when it says do not eat pastries.

Instead of counting calories, practice portion control.
    This is counterproductive. Counting calories is a form of portion control.

Vegetables are "free." In other words, eat as many fibrous vegetables as you want with any meal.
    Vegetables still have calories.
    As far as fruits are concerned, eat them only in the morning and combined with protein.
    LOL, really? And then it finishes with another avoidance. Never drink juice.

Eat these fats only in the afternoon and evening and only when combined with protein.
    No.

And my personal favorite:
    Sure, vigorous activity stimulates the metabolism, but if you overdo it by taking aerobics classes or running several miles a week, you could actually hinder your results! Why? Because excess aerobic activity burns up muscle at the expense of fat.
    What a load of crap.

I'm amazed this article had gotten as positive a reception as it has. It's actually terrible. It makes me think of propaganda that gets dropped on countries at war in order to confuse the enemy with disinformation. Oh well, to each their own.
  • mok33
    mok33 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    bump
  • norcal_yogi
    norcal_yogi Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    ...and i stopped reading at 'don't let yourself get hungry'..... uh huh.
  • e_is_for_erin
    e_is_for_erin Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Excellent! I was actually just searching ways (if any) I could increase my extremely slow metabolism, as pointed out by my doc. And this goes along with what I was reading. Thanks for sharing!
  • fatboy235
    fatboy235 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    thanks for the info. Going to the doctor today for a knee injury and will be bringing this info up to him to see what he has to say
  • hockey7fan
    hockey7fan Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    My issue with the article is that Atkins is NOT a zero carb plan. Don't know where he got that misinformation. Once you have gotten past the first two weeks of induction which is 20-25 grams of carbs a day, you add carbs until you stop losing. The average person on Atkins eats between 50 and 75 grams of carbs a day mostly from veggies and some fruits.
  • bacitracin
    bacitracin Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    You had me up until here:
    Zero-carb diets like Atkins have you avoid all carbs, but that isn't necessary. Eliminating carbs from your diet makes your body sluggish, your mind foggy, and is plain unhealthy. Too few grams of carbohydrate can lead to mood swings, uncontrollable cravings, and the loss of muscle tissue.

Atkins is not a no-carb diet, for one.

Eliminating carbs from your diet does NOT make you sluggish or mentally foggy. It is *NOT* unhealthy, quite the opposite, in fact.

Cutting carbs does NOT lead to mood swings, uncontrollable cravings or the loss of muscle tissue. All of that is patently and provably false.
  • Dumbell_Diva
    Dumbell_Diva Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Excellent facts about protein/insulin...bumping for later as I haven't time to read it all now!
  • amandaatwork
    amandaatwork Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    0% Greek Yogurt, low fat cottage cheese, egg whites to name a few.

I love oatmeal with greek yogurt, a little vanilla, and some truvia.
  • victoriyad
    victoriyad Posts: 1
    Options
    Great article, may I ask about night shift workers, our meals are in different times than majority of people. Any specific suggestions for us? Thank you.
  • demonsheep
    demonsheep Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I think it should be noted that minimum calories has a minimum- 1200. I'm currently 111 pounds and according to the math that gives me 1,000 calories a day, and yeah I would lose a lot of weight on that but uhh.....not healthy.
  • Lauracharder
    Lauracharder Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Pretty sure this is one of the best articles on the internet! Kudos to the writer! :)
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Long time to repair mine!
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    This makes so much sense. Thank you so much for posting this!

Not!