Repairing your broken furnace (Metabolism)

Options

Replies

• lambjoo
    lambjoo Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Tagging to read later!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I am confused, when I first come here I have learned that meal timing and meal frequency are myths and it's all about calories in -calories out+If it fits in our macro, and now this....? What to believe now. :indifferent:

Believe what you first learned. The whole thing about meal timing and which macros to eat at certain times is a load of crap. I eat all three macros at every meal.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options

I agreed until I got here:

Eating fat early in the day isn't a good idea, either, just as eating carbohydrates at night isn't a good idea. Fats, or more specifically, Free Fatty Acids (FFA) in the blood can themselves have a relationship with less efficient carbohydrate metabolism.

As such, eating fats and carbohydrates together isn't the best idea. Having FFA in the bloodstream is like supplying bricks to a bricklayer, only in this case the FFA are the bricks and the bricklayer – insulin – is building a house of fat! High insulin levels, courtesy of rapidly digested carbohydrates, store FFA in the blood as fat whereas normally the body might utilize them as energy.

So why not ditch the fat and focus upon breakfast carbohydrates at a time when our hormonal makeup and our increased muscular activity will induce its uptake anyway? In short, eat carbohydrates in the morning, and fats later on in the day, but never together.

My normal morning breakfast consists of baked oatmeal with peanut butter and hemp protein powder. It's all three macros in one meal. Sometimes I have it for lunch too. I have found that since I started eating this every morning, I feel satiated through lunch and it fits my macros perfectly. It hasn't hindered my progress at all. I continue to lose inches every week.

So, at this point, I'm going to say, I don't believe this article. (unless I'm a special snowflake) It sounds WAY too much like the Atkins diet, claiming you can't eat carbs at the same time as protein. Total bunk!

Hence the Broscience quip earlier.
    Hell I skip breakfast everyday because its convenient!
    Also enjoy eating whole grain cereal in bed before going to sleep.
  • 2essie
    2essie Posts: 2,867 Member
    Options
    Bump. Thanks for info
  • Gramps251
    Gramps251 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    bump
  • NewAngel35
    NewAngel35 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I gain muscle so easy and end up looking bigger...its frustrating.i tried for a period of four months bumping up my calories to 16-1800...stil gained 6lbs...so took it back down. do you think some people just have to really work hard to shift those last few vanity pounds my bmi is 22 but this dont show the real pic
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    I gain muscle so easy and end up looking bigger...its frustrating.i tried for a period of four months bumping up my calories to 16-1800...stil gained 6lbs...so took it back down. do you think some people just have to really work hard to shift those last few vanity pounds my bmi is 22 but this dont show the real pic

I'd venture a guess it's not muscle gain. How long after you looked bigger before you stopped what you were doing?
  • NewAngel35
    Options
    I end up with big muscles i aint kidding.....I tried for four months eating what was recommended.i loose a bit of fat but my shoulders and arms go bigger plus my legs...i get asked off men how i train to get a back and legs like mine it aint good!!!
  • NewAngel35
    Options
    wow great stuff!! i myself have what i call a screwed up metabolism!! the only way I could loose weight was by extreme routines.For some reason the so called normal eating,portion control,free foods,right foods wrong foods,atkins whatever the diet I have tried it to no avail!!!.very frustrating.also I read an interresting atricle on here about the 185lb women who hardly ate.and the problem this caused..I feel there is no way for me to sort this problem as on a good diet I dont loose I dont really gain I just stay the same. very frustrating.I am open to ideas how to fix this problem.I am sick of having to restrict and exercise like a crazy person in order to shift to the weight I like to be
    Just been directed to EM2LW group.Brilliant.Answers a lot of my questions about my Broken Metabolism.
  • whittlelauraann
    Options
    Good article
  • Socobruja
    Socobruja Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I've always pondered this chemistry and it seems to make sense. I think I'll begin to incorporate some of this philosophy. After all, cutting out pastries (high carb/high fat) can't be a bad thing!!
  • tootoop224
    tootoop224 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Good info. Thanks!
  • jillybeanpuff
    jillybeanpuff Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    bump! very helpful, even if some of it is BS
  • Limbo2012
    Limbo2012 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Thanks! Bump for later ...
  • diddylove
    Options
    Interesting article, good for start off guide.

My normal breakfast consist of both carbs and fats too, which are 2 slices of Wholemeal toast, 2tbsp Low Fat Peanut Butter and a Banana. On top, I always enjoy them with a mug of pure coffee without sweetener.

I agreed until I got here:

Eating fat early in the day isn't a good idea, either, just as eating carbohydrates at night isn't a good idea. Fats, or more specifically, Free Fatty Acids (FFA) in the blood can themselves have a relationship with less efficient carbohydrate metabolism.

As such, eating fats and carbohydrates together isn't the best idea. Having FFA in the bloodstream is like supplying bricks to a bricklayer, only in this case the FFA are the bricks and the bricklayer – insulin – is building a house of fat! High insulin levels, courtesy of rapidly digested carbohydrates, store FFA in the blood as fat whereas normally the body might utilize them as energy.

So why not ditch the fat and focus upon breakfast carbohydrates at a time when our hormonal makeup and our increased muscular activity will induce its uptake anyway? In short, eat carbohydrates in the morning, and fats later on in the day, but never together.

My normal morning breakfast consists of baked oatmeal with peanut butter and hemp protein powder. It's all three macros in one meal. Sometimes I have it for lunch too. I have found that since I started eating this every morning, I feel satiated through lunch and it fits my macros perfectly. It hasn't hindered my progress at all. I continue to lose inches every week.

So, at this point, I'm going to say, I don't believe this article. (unless I'm a special snowflake) It sounds WAY too much like the Atkins diet, claiming you can't eat carbs at the same time as protein. Total bunk!
  • jleWings
    jleWings Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    bump (and thanks for posting!)
  • VeinsAndBones
    VeinsAndBones Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Meal timing doesn't apply to most people, unless your a athlete... Basically eat balanced and in correct portions and all will work out, no harder than that
  • 33le
    33le Posts: 11
    Options
    Tagged
  • mdlowrance
    mdlowrance Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    This is the theory behind the new book I am reading called Trim and Healthy Mama. Thanks for sharing, even if it has been several years! :)
  • happycauseIride
    happycauseIride Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Thanks for bumping this. Great info here.