Repairing your broken furnace (Metabolism)

Options

Replies

• silviatic
    Options
    Thanks, great article...I've never been dieting before, but I have accumulated weight since I moved to Canada seven years ago (change in habits, probably) and more and more weight gain since last year surgery. I've became slow and sleepy and...overweight!
    I've started with a "low carb - good carb - healthy diet" last week. Basically, I have eliminated all the sugars and white flours, and all the cookies and chocolates I used to eat with coffee each evening. I have changed to whole grain breads, less carbohydrates and changed to "good" fats, such as avocado (I always got olive oil, but learnt that it is not healthy to use it for cooking, so I use it only for salads and turned into cooking with grape seed oil instead)
    What I have increased is the amount of veggetables: lots of apples for snacks, spinach salads, cucumbers and carrots.
    I drink black and green tea (without sugar or milk) all day long (about 5 cups)
    It's too early to notice anything (i guess) but I can't see any weight loss yet (I seem to go from 174 to 176 from morning to evening and day after day. I started with 179, went down just a bit and stayed last three days in 174-176)...I'm not exercising for two reasons: 1) When I come home is dark and late and my energy level is zero (after doing all the housechores, dinner, etc., I don't feel ready for anything but the laptop) and 2) Exercising seems to be too much fo me, even in small amounts. Not sure what came first: the weight or the lack of energy, but one may be causing the other in a never-stopping cycle.
    I hope to feel better after a few weeks and be able to do some exercise.
    Your article has given me hope and opened my eyes on facts such as when to eat what (I was eating avocado sandwiches in the morning, I guess I have to leave the avocados for the evenings only now).
    Thanks for the great posting.
  • Mirabilis
    Mirabilis Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Hopefully this is the Plateau-minator ;)
  • lolaunderdown
    Options
    good article just start progarm
  • sim247
    sim247 Posts: 354
    Options
    Bump!
  • katslosingit
    katslosingit Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Very interesting and seemingly makes sense but I am wondering who Terry Christian is as well and is there any scientific evidence to back this?
  • sereney
    sereney Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Cbaker5156
    Cbaker5156 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    bump..
  • shaunshaikh
    shaunshaikh Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    I definitely raised an eyebrow when he said you shouldn't do aerobics.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    gonna do the bumpty bump, doing the bumpity bump
  • alison_cpb
    alison_cpb Posts: 23
    Options
    bump
  • indigoeyes
    indigoeyes Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting this.
  • foreverloved
    foreverloved Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    wow thanks!
  • Melaniec78
    Melaniec78 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Bump :flowerforyou:
  • cjtx2
    cjtx2 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Bump for later. Thanks
  • cjtx2
    cjtx2 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Oops. Double Post - Time for bed.
  • Momkat65
    Momkat65 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    :huh:
  • MissFuchsia
    MissFuchsia Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Great article thanks
  • Eskimovm
    Eskimovm Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jfan175
    jfan175 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    First of all, who is Terry Christian? I can't believe all of the hoopla in this forum over an article by some unknown that is full of unreferenced claims. Starvation after 5-6 hours? That has been proven false. Aerobic exercise....even running a couple miles will catabolize muscle? GMAFB. Come on people, there are hundreds of posters on this forum that have proven these claims false. I can't believe everyone's overlooking these red flags in hopes of "restoking their metabolic furnace".
  • claritarejoice
    claritarejoice Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I have two questions about this article. The first is, the article says my minimum calories a day is my weight multiplied by 9, which would equal 1593 for me, and that this caloric intake will give me the quickest fat loss. However MFP, set on a sedentary activity level and 1.5 lb. fat loss desired, says I should eat 1380 cals a day. This difference scares me because I don’t want to mess up my nutrition plan.

Second question: the article says to try to get 30 grams of healthy fats a day. However MFP set my goal at 46 grams of fat a day. Again, why the difference, and is on of them correct? That is a huge difference!

Thanks anyone for your thoughts.