Why do I sabatoge myself

Options
Why is it that when I start to lose just a couple of pounds I seem to sabatoge myself and eat things I know I should'nt eat??

Replies

• benefiting
    benefiting Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    Because you're being restrictive.
  • RobinvdM
    RobinvdM Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    why is there such a thing as things you shouldnt eat - unless you mean "too much" Then ok, just cut back somewhat. You can have whatever you want when losing weight. You just have to recognise the caloric impact for your daily intake and work with it. Either by exercising a bit more than you normally would, or cutting back in other food areas to make up for the extra.

Think of it not as "I can't have it" and instead start thinking "I can have it, but do I want it right now?" and then go from there :)
  • dangerousdumpling
    dangerousdumpling Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    It's hard to do this for the long haul. It's hard to make the commitment to stick with it until you reach your goal. That being said, what are these things that you feel you shouldn't be eating and why can't you eat them? Have you considered that you can eat them, but maybe not as much as you did before. Just work it into your calories and enjoy. Also, maybe your calorie deficit is too big.

This reminds me of a thread I saw here a while back where someone was saying they wanted to lose weight but didn't want to eat salad. Almost every response was, "Then don't eat salad". You really can eat what you want - you just need to work it into your calories. And have a reasonable calorie goal.
  • Laughter_Girl
    Laughter_Girl Posts: 2,226 Member
    Options
    Think of it not as "I can't have it" and instead start thinking "I can have it, but do I want it right now?" and then go from there :)

^This
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Abandon the idea that there are foods you shouldn't eat. Instead, figure out your TDEE, take a cut of no more than 20%, and set your macro goals to 30%p/30%F/40%C.

Every day, eat a few different fruits and vegetables and focus on hitting your calorie goal within 50 calories and try to stick closely to your macro goals. There are no prizes for coming in under on anything. If you do that, you can eat whatever foods you want, as long as you meet your goals. I promise it will be easier to stick with than restricting whatever foods you're restricting.

Note that this means if you eat a donut, you're probably going to need to balance it with lean protein to meet your macro goals. I'm not suggesting a free-for-all. You need to consistently stick to all your targets with this approach.
  • cheripugh1
    cheripugh1 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I think it's fear.... you know how you are treated like you are now, how people remark or the little comments. When we lose wt. especially if it's been a long while since we were smaller, we see the lbs. going down and it's like whoa... are they still going to like me? how will people treat me? do I deserve to look and feel good?

YOU are wonderful and YES you deserve this so take a deep breath and go!
  • For me it is almost an addiction. I love the taste of junk food so when I crave it and give in I can't stop. I am also trying to learn moderation but it is probably one of the hardest things to do especially when you've grown up around junk and have been bullied. I've lost a lot of weight and gained it back due to pure laziness and lack of motivation. It is important to not restrict yourself and to never lose your motivation!
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    What kind of things have you decided you shouldn't eat?
  • sueb711
    sueb711 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I know this thread is an old one...but love that it is still here. Because I sabotage myself...it's great to read this and know that I am not the only one. Thanks.