Women Runners

Options
Hi, for the past month and a half I have really picked up on running.
I do about 20-30 miles a week on the treadmill.
My problem is...I get terrible chaffing around my inner thigh area.
I wear compression tights. I have tried running w/ cotton underwear and without (sorry for the tmi but I figured it might help...) but I still get chaffed.

How can I end this pain?!
HELP!

:/

Replies

• KCmom
    KCmom Posts: 124
    Options
    Is there a seam on the inside of your tights that is rubbing, by chance? Maybe try switching what you are running in and see if that helps.
    I run in either Fila capris or Fila shorts (kind of form fitting, not sure what they are called) and they are both made out of really soft material. The capri might be yoga pants, but I'm not sure. I got them at Kohl's.
    I"m a newbie runner, so not much help.
    I know some people use Glyde to help with chafing too.
  • hungreeteacher17
    hungreeteacher17 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Try rubbing Johnson & Johnson blister block on your thighs.
  • JennO12
    Options
    I use Body Glide, it almost looks like deodorant and comes in a stick, I just apply to anywhere I get chaffing or feel uncomfortable, it is great on your feet for blister too. I'm in Canada and I purchase it at a retailer called The Running Room, not sure where it would be available in the US.
  • ✿KẙMb529✿
    Options
    I've had this happen too (under my arms also). Its worse after shaving for me. I have used vaseline to prevent it, but they also make some stuff called "body glide" you can buy at sporting good stores. It is specifically for chafing. My hubby uses it and swears by it.
  • nicolee516
    nicolee516 Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I agree with the Body glide, There are certain undies that I won't run in because of the chafing. The longer distances you run, the more you will chafe in places you never knew you had. I have what I call chubbie rubbies. Not matter what weight I am at, my inner thighs rub together so I have to wear spandex shorts when I run....ugh...
  • steph_669
    steph_669 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    any good suggestions with sports bras? same issue w/my bra :(
  • ctchicky
    Options
    Congrats on your running and your weight loss so far. I started jogging about 3 years ago and decided that I really enjoy it. I found that when I started I had the same issue but as I slowly began losing weight the irritation gradually decreased. I agree with a previous poster that if there is an inside seem that will definately cause irritation. Try something tighter and thinner. Good luck!!!
  • Veggie_Eloise
    Veggie_Eloise Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I wear those skin tight spandex pants but there is an a few inseams that might be causing the problem.
    Have any of y'all tried the running panties I have seen on Road Runner and at Sports Chalet?
    I love my pants; they fit perfectly.
    I might look into getting that Body Glide stuff then.

Thanks so much.
    I'm running a 10k in March and I don't want any ... issues! LOL.
  • gehlerc
    gehlerc Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I also use Body Glide. It works great! However, be prepared: if you do an internet search for it you can get some "interesting" results. (I have found it in the Minneapolis-St. Paul area at a store called The Running Room just as a Canadian poster said.)

By the way, to the original poster: THANK YOU for posting this. I'm glad to know that others have this problem.
  • Chgogal1
    Options
    Champion makes some good sports bras. They have them for all types of support - light, medium, heavy
  • bstamps12
    bstamps12 Posts: 1,184
    Options
    Under Armour Sports Bras are my favorites...they are the only ones I will use anymore. (I use the ones without the padding or cups...just the basic sports bra).

I have never had a problem with chafing as long as I wore shorts or pants made from fabric that wicks moisture away from my skin. Most of my shorts are actually just from Target and as far as pants go, I love Puma running pants and Xposure (sp?) pants too.