anyone not put on weight whilst pregnant

Options
I have just lost nearly 70lbs and my partner and me are discussing trying to conceive our 2nd child. I ideally would not like to gain alot of weight as i am currently 187lbs (i understand i will put on but dont want to put on 3st which is what happened with my daughter mainly because of poor food choices). Has anyone had a child and not gained alot of weight. I would be sticking to calorie counting but obviously i would increase my calories to the appropriate level. I have also purchased a gym membership and i am enjoying going. Can i still go and exercise whilst pregnant.

Before anyone starts being nasty i would always put the health of my baby first. I will also be consulting a doctor/nurse before ttc to ensure i have all the information needed.

Replies

• mikevandewetering
    mikevandewetering Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    my friend did, she didn't gain anything at al. the baby is extreamly healthy. i often hear, the less weight you gain the better it is for the health of the baby. I also read a study done that babies were the mother gained alot of weight during pregnancy have a significant higher amount of having weight issues themself
  • niamhclem21
    niamhclem21 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I only gained 20lbs and didn't work out other than swimming. I did eat very well, avoided a lot of processed stuff and obviously didn't drink any alcohol. I think if you get your head round the fact that you are only eating for 1 and not two then it isn't hard to keep the gain reasonable.. Like everything in life if you can sort out the head the rest will follow

X
  • jenny24012014
    jenny24012014 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    If you mean weight after the baby is born I lost about 20lb when I was pregnant with my son (was 198lb when I got pregnant, 175lb the week after giving birth) which wasn't intentional but a nice surprise.

Puking for a couple of months, carrying the extra baby weight and going off loads of food can do that to you.
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    You really need to discuss this with your doctor.
  • mooie70
    mooie70 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Yes, I didn't put on any weight during my pregnancy, but I was thyroid toxic :ohwell:
  • maasha81
    maasha81 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    This is something you should really discuss with your doctor.

I only put 11 lbs during my pregnancy, I was 121 lbs when I gave birth to my son 3 yrs ago. I had mainly healthy pregnancy throughout but I kept losing and gaining weight. In my final trimester, this was when I noticed his kicks were not as frequent and the doc decided to do an emergency c-sec at 37 weeks since his heart rate was dropping at times. Turned out the cord was wrapped twice around his neck but he was healthy baby though on the smaller side (5lbs 4oz)

I did work out during my pregnancy but did not introduce any new exercises. I was doing JM 30 Day Shred and stuck with that. From mid 2nd trimester, I went lighter with the weights and low impact due to the tummy. Always listen to your body - this is what my doc always stressed. I did not monitor my calorie intake at all. When pregnant, you only need an extra 300 - 500 cals.

I must add that the OBGYN services in my country is diff from the US. I had monthly checkups and my doc had an ultrasound machine in his office so he had the option to use it on me any time. The final two months, I went in every two weeks - I guess due to my lack of weight gain as well.

Good luck
  • Kelceybyers
    Kelceybyers Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I would talk to your doctor as well. However I lost weight with all 3 of my pregnancies. I wasn't trying. I ate quite a bit at times. I lost 23 pounds with my first baby and he was born healthy at 9lbs 2ozs. Each one of my kids are healthy and strong (and skinny thank goodness lol).

Talk about your concerns to your doctor though. My doctor kept telling me that as long as the baby's heart sounded healthy and I felt good and nothing seemed wrong on ultrasounds I should just consider myself lucky.

Good luck to you and congratulations!!!
  • knitknitknit
    knitknitknit Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Talk to your doctor, they all have different recommendations on weight gain. The first midwife I saw was fine with me gaining no weight (I was 282 at the time) my second midwife wanted me to gain 15-20 pounds (I was 268 at that time). I don't really gain weight when pregnant because I don't really eat when pregnant, I have zero appetite. I gained 11 pounds with my son (7 pounds 2) and 14 with my daughter (6 pounds 11). I make sure to take a good vitamin and eat nutrient dense food. I didn't work out at all with my first pregnancy and did crossfit and Zumba with my second.
  • kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    my friend did, she didn't gain anything at al. the baby is extreamly healthy. i often hear, the less weight you gain the better it is for the health of the baby. I also read a study done that babies were the mother gained alot of weight during pregnancy have a significant higher amount of having weight issues themself

Please don't listen to this. Speak to your doctor. I gained 70 lbs with my first and 50 with my second and had two normal, healthy pregnancies with normal, healthy babies.

If you are very worried about gaining weight, you may not be in a place to conceive a child right now. That baby should be your top priority and specifically trying NOT to gain weight could have negative consequences for one or both of you.
  • decblessings
    decblessings Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    With my first child I weighed around 165 when I went to my first doctor's appointment. With my second I weighed 178 at the first appointment. With both I ended with a weight of about 200. It was probably a couple pounds more but I didn't want to see it after I was really close to 200 in the last week or so. I lost weight after my second child and got down to a low weight of 125 but hovered around 130-135. That's about what I was when I got pregnant for my third. I exercised regularly during that pregnancy (lots of time on the elliptical, yoga, walking, and even a little running) and was much more conscious about my eating habits. I weighed under 160 when I delivered her, so less than I did when I began my first pregnancy, even though everyone told me it was my third and I'd be huge, etc. When I was in the hospital, the nurse commented on how tiny I was and that she could still reach her arms all the way around me to put on the fetal heart monitor. I was 139 when I got home from the hospital. Unfortunately I thought that I'd lose weight as easily as I did after the first, but my youngest is 3 and that has not been the case at all... but the point is, you certainly can stay active and not gain as much in subsequent pregnancies. I think the first time around most of us think we have a license to eat and once we've BTDT we realize that shouldn't be the case.

Edited to add - my third baby was also my tiniest. She was only 6 pounds 15 ounces. My first was born a week earlier and was 7lb5oz and my second was 7lb14oz. Perhaps that has nothing to do with anything though...
  • freshstart180213
    freshstart180213 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I agree with what someone else said earlier get the idea of eating for 2 out of your head as its drummed into women and its rubbish secondly you onpy need to eat an additional 500kcal so continue to kcal count but include those extra into the equation and stick with it thirdly craving aside think carefully about the food you eat homecooking rather than takeaway is always better as its all within your control the amount of salt etc and finally stick with your exercise regime whatever it is but with a few points if u do weights lower them and try to do more cardio than weight training and dont increase or add anything listen to your body and be safe but there is no reason not to exercise both my zumba teachers carried on most of the way thro pregnancy runners often continue thro pregnancy and if i fall again i will comtinue with my running regime because at the end of the day the healthier you are the better the pregnancy and that can onoy be a positive for your baby also breast feeding if u can and if u want to helps with weigbt loss I unfortuntely struggled to do that for both of mine but it does help
  • deebaby1008
    deebaby1008 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I also did not gain weight while pregnant with my second child. I weighed 242 lbs prior to getting pregnant and weighed 243 lbs at delivery. Two weeks after delivery I weighed 206 lbs. It was as if my baby pulled the fat stores from me (I was extremely thankful at the time). She weighed 8lbs 2oz at birth. I really can't explain why or how it happened as I don't recall watching what I ate nor did I restrict what I ate. That was 10 years ago and I gained all of that weight back plus an extra 30 lbs. But I'm finally on track to losing it all.
  • jenny24012014
    jenny24012014 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I also did not gain weight while pregnant with my second child. I weighed 242 lbs prior to getting pregnant and weighed 243 lbs at delivery. Two weeks after delivery I weighed 206 lbs. It was as if my baby pulled the fat stores from me (I was extremely thankful at the time). She weighed 8lbs 2oz at birth. I really can't explain why or how it happened as I don't recall watching what I ate nor did I restrict what I ate. That was 10 years ago and I gained all of that weight back plus an extra 30 lbs. But I'm finally on track to losing it all.

Did you breastfeed? That helped me lose some weight.
  • rhoule76
    rhoule76 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I've only gained 4 lbs, which my doctor (and I) think is great. This is my 2nd pregnancy and I'm still lighter than I was with my first pregnancy.
  • mamaoftwins9197
    mamaoftwins9197 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I only gained 6 pounds with my first pregnancy and my TWINS were 6 pounds 1 oz and 6 pounds 13 oz. I had gestational diabetes, but was very careful with my diet and managed well. Everyone was super healthy when born. With my little one, I had such bad morning sickness, I lost 18 pounds...and she still came out weighing 9 pounds 4 oz. As long as you do what you are supposed to do, eat healthy, continue exercising if you already are (don't start a workout routine while pregnant), and take care of yourself, your body will do what it needs to do. Good luck!
  • 2dare2dream
    2dare2dream Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    my friend went from size 16 uk to size 8-10 uk.
    At start of her pregnancy she was at her heaviest and didn't have healthy diet so she changed that and added lots of walking.
    Spare money went straight to baby so no spare money to waste on treats or takeaways., but at the end of the nine months will her large belly she delivered her son and the next day we had to run round buying her pj's etc as nothing fitted. She swears it was all the walking and healthy eating she did.
  • qmmanager69
    qmmanager69 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I wound up gaining about 25 lbs while pregnant both times. After delivery, I weighed less than I did before I got pregnant. I was overweight to begin with so there was really not much need for a lot of weight gain according to my doctor. I was gestationally diabetic, so I followed a strict and extremely healthy eating plan. Babies were both big, healthy boys.
  • donnat238
    donnat238 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    My sister weighed 188 lbs and is 5'2" when she became pregnant and weighed about 150 lb at the birth of my nephew. He weighed 8 lbs 2 oz. She watched her diet and walked daily. Her food craving was grapefruit juice! :)
  • dirty_diana
    dirty_diana Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    To answer your second question first, yes you can continue working out through your pregnancy as long as you feel good enough to do it and it's all things you had been doing before you got pregnant. You'll have to make some modifications as you go along, especially if you do any weight training. With my second pregnancy I worked out with a trainer until I was 7 months in, at which point I had to stop because I became too cumbersome to move and my center of gravity was way off which caused balance issues.

As for the weight, it is different for every woman and every pregnancy. The important thing is that you eat healthy. I remember reading somewhere that you don't need to eat any extra calories in the first trimester, then about 350 more per day in the second trimester and 450 more per day in the third trimester. And just as important is to remember not to beat yourself up if you do gain more than you want. If you're eating healthy and being active it's still possible to gain a lot of weight. Some women just do. I gained 45-50 pounds with all three of my pregnancies no matter what I did.
  • sassyjae21
    sassyjae21 Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    How do women NOT gain weight during a pregnancy?? I didn't even know that was possible? I mean there's a baby in there?? Doesn't that alone make a woman gain weight? Not fat, but WEIGHT? Someone please inform me because I am clueless.

Maybe they lose FAT but gain weight from baby? and it evens out? Like seriously someone enlighten me. I didn't know that was possible. I don't have children/never given birth so I really don't know how it works.