Replies

• Serafimangel
    Serafimangel Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    FUPA, Scottish version -> Fanny fat
  • SsetAdnama
    SsetAdnama Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I haven't seen anyone with quite as much weight to lose as I do. My highest weight was last October, at 485. I am now 453, but have just recently started trying. I think my second job that started in September helped me lose what I have over the past several months. The issues I am looking most forward to leaving behind are mostly health related!

Great loss so far! You're on the right path!
  • SsetAdnama
    Options
    I hope you will start to look at the positive things about becoming a thinner person, rather than concentrate on the negatives of being fat. I noticed recently, after a year of maintaining, that I have lost my saddlebags, I have thigh gap, and I have gone down a size, even though my body weight has stayed the same.

Congratulations on you weight loss and transformation into a healthier you! I agree, we should all look at the positive things about becoming healthier, thinner people. But for many people, especially those starting out, the negative realities of our weight are powerfully motivating. As in, "I'm fed up with being sick and tired. I hate the way I look in shorts. I hate it that I can't do the things I want to do, or that I hide from pictures. I hate going to the doctor and hearing about my weight. I'm just done with this mess, it's time for change." I'm not saying positivity shouldn't be included - When I lose weight, I want to run in a race, try acroyoga, be able to dance all night, buy new clothes, and enjoy a long healthy life with my sweetheart - all positive things. But right now, for me, those positives are in the future, and aren't quite as motivating as my displeasure with my present situation. That's not because I hate myself, or because I'm a negative person - it's because it's the reality of what I see right now. I had to get fed up, or else I was just going to stay complacent and get larger. Sooner or later, you either get fed up with how you look & feel and make a change, or you don't.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    As for thigh rub - I love BodyGlide in cream-to-powder formula and pettipants. If you're tired of bike shorts and compression shorts and tights and such, look up pettipants on Amazon. They're slip material made into shorts. Light enough to sleep in, come in a decent range of sizes, not very expensive, aren't restricting, and you don't have your dress crawling up your shorts. My "bloomers" saved my summer.

Thanks for the tip... I have the BMW (burly mountain woman) thighs... and so I chafe regardless of weight... I had the thigh rub at 125... just like I do at 184..
  • SsetAdnama
    Options
    As for thigh rub - I love BodyGlide in cream-to-powder formula and pettipants. If you're tired of bike shorts and compression shorts and tights and such, look up pettipants on Amazon. They're slip material made into shorts. Light enough to sleep in, come in a decent range of sizes, not very expensive, aren't restricting, and you don't have your dress crawling up your shorts. My "bloomers" saved my summer.

Thanks for the tip... I have the BMW (burly mountain woman) thighs... and so I chafe regardless of weight... I had the thigh rub at 125... just like I do at 184..

I didn't have it at 115, it showed up slightly around 140, by 160 it was a problem, but by 190+ it was an emergency. I get boils and welts now... a rash is the least of my trouble. The pettipants are awesome under dresses, and to sleep in. I got these: http://www.amazon.com/Non-Cling-Pettipants-Beige-2X-Set-2/dp/B002E5I16Y/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top -- I was 215 when I ordered, sz 16/18, and got the 2XL size. XL size would have been fine, I think. I plan on getting more in smaller sizes as I shrink, since I can't live without them now. And 2 pair for $21 with free shipping? Ha! Cheaper than going to the doctor with my welts!
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I will never be able to wear knee-length boots.

Before = fat calves

Now = muscular calves from running

They're probably sweaty anyway.
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    The worst things are the people who try to make me feel like less of a human being because I'm overweight.
  • SsetAdnama
    Options
    The worst things are the people who try to make me feel like less of a human being because I'm overweight.

Those people are the ones who are less human, not you. I hope their humanity grows and someday they can see people as people. Some never will, unfortunately. You can do what is right for you, get as fit as you want to be - those who don't accept, well, they can shove off! Good luck on your journey!
  • SsetAdnama
    Options
    I will never be able to wear knee-length boots.

Before = fat calves

Now = muscular calves from running

They're probably sweaty anyway.

When I lose this weight and try to fit into knee-length boots and still can't because I'm too muscular -- I'll take it. Bravo to you for your accomplishment!

And I've worn them before in my past skinny life. They are sweaty. Ain't gonna lie.
  • thatgirlkellib
    thatgirlkellib Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I haven't seen anyone with quite as much weight to lose as I do. My highest weight was last October, at 485. I am now 453, but have just recently started trying. I think my second job that started in September helped me lose what I have over the past several months. The issues I am looking most forward to leaving behind are mostly health related!

**No more leg edema (swelling, purple legs, and cellulitis), which is so painful that I cry at night sometimes =(
    ** High Blood pressure, with chest pain (yes, I am on meds!)
    ** Not being able to put any pressure on my knees/shins, which means I cannot get in the floor at all b/c I would be stuck there!
    **No more using a personal hygiene wand, although truth be told it seems to be more sanitary than not using one. I just don;t want to HAVE to use one
    **No more feeling lethargic

Anyone feel free to add me! We can encourage each other! =)

Congrats on your weight loss! Dont give up, ever....I just learned what it feels like to feel free in my own skin again, I tell you what its so worth it! Keep at it!
  • CA_Underdog
    CA_Underdog Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I hate the way I look in shorts. I hate it that I can't do the things I want to do, or that I hide from pictures. I hate going to the doctor and hearing about my weight. That's not because I hate myself, or because I'm a negative person - it's because it's the reality of what I see right now. Sooner or later, you either get fed up with how you look & feel and make a change, or you don't.

You say it's not self-hate, but you hide from pictures and dread the doctor naming your weight?

The funny thing is, there are people of all weights (overweight, normal, underweight) who feel the same way--they try to wear clothes that hide their form because they're unhappy with how they look. Imagine getting to your goal weight and feeling crippling shame and defeat for even regaining 5lbs (been there, done that). Imagine going the other way and continuing to lose beyond what is healthy and never being quite satisfied. There are happy, beautiful fat people who accomplish their dreams.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tbcoh5hre74

You might find some starting motivation in self-contempt, but self-compassion brings the resilience to keep going when you encounter setbacks on your journey and more contentment now rather than always a "someday" that may never come. May the reality of what you see change to you being an amazing person worth photographing, no matter what your scale number says. :)
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

me too- always had them- most of the time- I'm okay with it. I say most- because I have my moments LOL
  • SsetAdnama
    Options
    I hate the way I look in shorts. I hate it that I can't do the things I want to do, or that I hide from pictures. I hate going to the doctor and hearing about my weight. That's not because I hate myself, or because I'm a negative person - it's because it's the reality of what I see right now. Sooner or later, you either get fed up with how you look & feel and make a change, or you don't.

You say it's not self-hate, but you hide from pictures and dread the doctor naming your weight?

The funny thing is, there are people of all weights (overweight, normal, underweight) who feel the same way--they try to wear clothes that hide their form because they're unhappy with how they look. Imagine getting to your goal weight and feeling crippling shame and defeat for even regaining 5lbs (been there, done that). Imagine going the other way and continuing to lose beyond what is healthy and never being quite satisfied. There are happy, beautiful fat people who accomplish their dreams.

Personally, I don't hide from pictures, or dread going to the doctor, but I know people who do and I totally see where they are coming from.

But that isn't the point and that wasn't my point.

My point was about getting fed up to do something about the thing that makes you unhappy. Most people who lose weight appear to be doing it because at some point, for whatever reasons, they become dissatisfied with the status quo and make a change. That seems pretty basic.

For me - I'm starting this journey because well, being fat sucks. I'm not rocking my curves anymore, and the longer I wait, the more simple things - like painting my toenails - piss me the f**k off. Do I think that getting to a healthier weight is some miracle cure for everything? No, of course not, that would be foolish. But it sure as hell would make it easier for me to paint my toes, and would give me a fighting chance at fitting into an airplane seat semi-comfortably (they are airplane seats after all).

I know people can be unhappy with the way they look no matter what size they are. That's unfortunate. I know there are happy, overweight people out there making their dreams come true, which is fantastic. I guess I'm getting defensive because I'm seeing posts from people who are convinced that I hate myself, when I don't. Why is it impossible to believe that I hate the fat? Not me. The fat. Because I AM NOT MY FAT. Being fat sucks for a multitude of reasons - it's TRUTH. I'm not delusional, I've lived it, and most everyone else on here has too. I'm not making this s**t up, folks.

I could have broken this down differently. I could have said, "When I'm a healthier weight I'll be able to paint my toenails without losing my breath" instead of saying "I hate being fat because I get out of breath when I paint my toenails." I could have said, "When I'm a healthier weight I'll be able to wear what I really want" instead of saying "I hate being fat because I hate fat clothes." It's semantics. Same frigging thing. I just found it more useful to focus on the present rather than a future far off in the distance. Being able to paint my toenails comfortably is one NSV I'm really looking forward to.

I know people mean well. I do. And I thank you for it. But please understand that not everyone who complains is self-hating the same as not everyone who has a hangnail loses their finger. :)
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I am so confused about chafing, especially when welts were mentioned, what!? I did not experience this at 307 lb nor do I at 177...just don't really get what it is!? And I'm a skirt wearer.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I can't speak for anyone else- but the insides of my thighs will pretty much break out- or just straight up chaffed depending on the clothes.

I feel like moisture + hair + friction leads to chaffing and ingrown hairs and weirdness- different for everyone. :(

I've always had thick legs- but it's definitely gotten worse with the move to a more humid environment.
  • CA_Underdog
    CA_Underdog Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Personally, I don't hide from pictures, or dread going to the doctor, but I know people who do and I totally see where they are coming from... I don't (hate myself)
    I'm glad to hear that. We're both sharing thing we've learned that may help others depending on where they are in their journey. Best of luck to you on your weight loss. May we each achieve all our goals. :)
  • shadowofender
    shadowofender Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I am so confused about chafing, especially when welts were mentioned, what!? I did not experience this at 307 lb nor do I at 177...just don't really get what it is!? And I'm a skirt wearer.

You could just be lucky. Chafing is especially bad for me and it was even when I was in shape because of how my legs rub against each other no matter what. It's part of how your pelvic bone is positioned, how much it rubs and all that.

I think the *ONLY* thing I'm really really looking forward to, that I forgot to mention before, is fitting on roller coasters. I went to six flags a couple weeks ago and despite trying to find out size restrictions ahead of time and being assured I wouldnt hae a problem by staff, I couldnt ride a single coaster. Waste of money.
  • kellyj0729
    kellyj0729 Posts: 44 Member
    Options

Personally, I don't hide from pictures, or dread going to the doctor, but I know people who do and I totally see where they are coming from.

But that isn't the point and that wasn't my point.

My point was about getting fed up to do something about the thing that makes you unhappy. Most people who lose weight appear to be doing it because at some point, for whatever reasons, they become dissatisfied with the status quo and make a change. That seems pretty basic.

For me - I'm starting this journey because well, being fat sucks. I'm not rocking my curves anymore, and the longer I wait, the more simple things - like painting my toenails - piss me the f**k off. Do I think that getting to a healthier weight is some miracle cure for everything? No, of course not, that would be foolish. But it sure as hell would make it easier for me to paint my toes, and would give me a fighting chance at fitting into an airplane seat semi-comfortably (they are airplane seats after all).

I know people can be unhappy with the way they look no matter what size they are. That's unfortunate. I know there are happy, overweight people out there making their dreams come true, which is fantastic. I guess I'm getting defensive because I'm seeing posts from people who are convinced that I hate myself, when I don't. Why is it impossible to believe that I hate the fat? Not me. The fat. Because I AM NOT MY FAT. Being fat sucks for a multitude of reasons - it's TRUTH. I'm not delusional, I've lived it, and most everyone else on here has too. I'm not making this s**t up, folks.

I could have broken this down differently. I could have said, "When I'm a healthier weight I'll be able to paint my toenails without losing my breath" instead of saying "I hate being fat because I get out of breath when I paint my toenails." I could have said, "When I'm a healthier weight I'll be able to wear what I really want" instead of saying "I hate being fat because I hate fat clothes." It's semantics. Same frigging thing. I just found it more useful to focus on the present rather than a future far off in the distance. Being able to paint my toenails comfortably is one NSV I'm really looking forward to.

I know people mean well. I do. And I thank you for it. But please understand that not everyone who complains is self-hating the same as not everyone who has a hangnail loses their finger. :)

I think you are awesome! I love this thread- I have never been obese, but I think everyone should feel happy in their own skin and I felt chubby and unhealthy 26 lbs ago. It's a personal choice- ironically, my husband liked me better at 140 lbs (he likes curves) than 115 lbs, but he knows I am happier and feel much better about myself.
  • Wookinpanub
    Wookinpanub Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    Good topic...it's therapeutic to type these out!

> Depression, lack of confidence

> Professional work clothes that don't fit (lack of confidence at work, in front of customers, etc)

> Lack of sex drive and poor performance; wifey had to do most of the "work"

> My office and car smelled terrible b/c of constant farting from greasy food

> being the ugly fat one in group pictures with friends
  • strassenkoenigin
    Options
    You seem to have a great personality. This is more important than the fat. If the fat would be really so important you would get rid of it.
    I have seen people change their lives when their health was threatened by their habits, overeating, smoking, drug abuse, etc.. Why not do it before it gets life threatening?

We have made food king in our society. Sure, you need food to survive, but there are so many other things in life which can bring you satisfaction . Try to concentrate on them. Every time I see an ad for food on television I remind myself that these are multibillion dollar corporations who only want to make money and do not care about your health, wellbeing or satisfaction at all.