From 1800 to 2000 kcal?

Options
Hi!
Currently I'm 173 cm (about 5'7''), 54 kg (119 lbs) and eating around 1800 kcal/day. When I counted my TDEE, it gave me roughly 2000 kcal/day and since I want to gain weight, I want to aim for that.

The thing is, I want to gain muscles not just weight. Since I'm not 100% satisfy with how I look (minimal definition of muscles), I plan change my routing and to exercise 5 times/week for about an hour daily: 3x weights (without machines but mostly with dumbbells and bars) and 2x pilates/yoga/just abs.

Right now, with 1800 kcal/day my weight doesn't drop anymore, so I figured out that my body has adapted to this amount of kcal. Because of that, I'm not really sure
a) should I aim for 2000 kcal/day?
b) if yes, how should I get there? By adding 200 kcal/day from nowhere or gradually? If I add any more calories, would I see the extra weight not only on scale but also on my body as fat? Cause I'd really like to avoid that ;)

I'd really appreciate your input!

Replies

• love8383
    love8383 Posts: 169
    Options
    I think you should add them gradually and since you want to add mainly muscle the extra calories should come from protein, nuts, protein shakes, meat ect.. (wish i needed to gain weight instead of lose :)
  • trojan_bb
    trojan_bb Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter if you add it at once or gradually. If your weight is totally stagnant at 1800, 2000 would be a bare minimum for gaining muscle. You MIGHT gain a little fat over time, but at 2000-2200 kcals it would negligible. Your bodyfat % would probably even drop or stay the same even with the increased fat gain (muscle gain offsets it)

You are adding quite a bit of activity. I think at least 2000 kcals would be needed just to offset that extra calorie burn.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4" and 123lb. My intent is to get back to 125lb. I was going to do weight training, something I'm not enthusiastic about, because everyone has been saying that Body Pump is a cardio class. However, I have been observing my body for a while and I have developed definite definition doing strength training classes three x a week including Body Pump, and I am pretty happy with how I look right now. I went to a new chiropractor on Monday and she said that she thought I was a good weight and fitness level and to not add or lose anything. This week I was stable for the first time in ages.

MFP reommended 1970kcal to gain 1/2lb a week - that's not taking into account what I'd need if I were weight training. I've been aiming at that while continuing to do my regular routine and I've almost been able to get to that daily goal.

I've added extra protein and feel pretty good. I've also been taking an occasional glucose supplement because I've been noticing I get low blood sugar symptoms.
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    If you are truly eating 1800 and the scale is not moving at all and your goal is to gain weight then an increase is in order. I would add 75-100 calories per week for 4 weeks then hold it there for 3 weeks and see what happens. During your increase you might see a slight increase in the scale but that's normal due to increase food in the track and added glycogen.

Your protein doesn't need to go higher than .8g per lb of body weight. For a bulk or a cut. Adding more protein doesn't mean you add more muscle.

The added calories primarily come from carbs.

Get on a progressive overload barbell program.

^This!

I'm almost into my 6 months since reversing from cut to bulk.

Go slow adding calories until you are gaining slowly

Barbell. Hypertrophy routine.

:D
  • anuulak
    anuulak Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Thank you all, you've all been extremely helpful!

I'm 5'4" and 123lb. My intent is to get back to 125lb. I was going to do weight training, something I'm not enthusiastic about, because everyone has been saying that Body Pump is a cardio class. However, I have been observing my body for a while and I have developed definite definition doing strength training classes three x a week including Body Pump, and I am pretty happy with how I look right now. I went to a new chiropractor on Monday and she said that she thought I was a good weight and fitness level and to not add or lose anything. This week I was stable for the first time in ages.

MFP reommended 1970kcal to gain 1/2lb a week - that's not taking into account what I'd need if I were weight training. I've been aiming at that while continuing to do my regular routine and I've almost been able to get to that daily goal.

I've added extra protein and feel pretty good. I've also been taking an occasional glucose supplement because I've been noticing I get low blood sugar symptoms.

OMG, I absolutely love Body Pump! It's how I got "hooked" to free weights!

If you are truly eating 1800 and the scale is not moving at all and your goal is to gain weight then an increase is in order. I would add 75-100 calories per week for 4 weeks then hold it there for 3 weeks and see what happens. During your increase you might see a slight increase in the scale but that's normal due to increase food in the track and added glycogen.

Your protein doesn't need to go higher than .8g per lb of body weight. For a bulk or a cut. Adding more protein doesn't mean you add more muscle.

The added calories primarily come from carbs.

Get on a progressive overload barbell program.

I don't really care about the scale and I don't want to increase my protein, cause I sometimes have problems to hit my current 113g so I'm happy you're mentioning extra carbs :) I love my carbs :D
  • Snypa1
    Snypa1 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    If your look to gain mass then you need to eat MORE calories than what you body needs to function. Aim for an extra 100-200 calories.

To gain muscle you will want to ensure these calaries are balanced. aim for say 35% Carbs (minimal sugars) 35% protein and 30% from good fats.

You will want whole proteins so eat lean meats: beef, chicken breasts etc also eggs.

Also make sure you get plenty of sleep!

When your at the gym try to make your work outs more explosive - don't think quantity - 90 mins is really plenty of time as long as your pushing yourself and finish feeling tired!

Also you will want to time your nutrients through out the day. 6 meals a day :)

Too keep track of your progress ask your gym to measure your weight and body fat % each week. If your mass is going up and your body fat % is dropping or staying the same then your doing okay.
  • Snypa1
    Snypa1 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    If your going to stimulate muscle growth then an increase in the % of calories from protein will help lean muscle growth right? You have a nice ripped body though so not saying your wrong :D
  • icrushit
    icrushit Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    If you want to add a little muscle, less can often be more, ie do some quality resistance training 2/ 3 times a week, giving yourself plenty of recovery time, and sleep, so your body can repair itself and build muscle. You will also need to eat accordingly, and ensure you are putting enough into your body for the building blocks for that muscle, so definitely extra calories, and also sufficient protein.

If you want to do some cardio too, I would make sure you do not do too much, if muscle building is your priority, and perhaps just 2/ 3 light enough sessions a week on the days you're not doing any resistance training. Also you'll need to make sure you're eating accordingly to meet the extra energy demands of the cardio.

Sounds like you plan to start quite frenetically, adding a load of things at once - perhaps you might consider doing what you're doing normally, and just start by adding some structured body weight training/ resistance training 2/ 3 times a week and go from there.
  • anuulak
    anuulak Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    If you want to add a little muscle, less can often be more, ie do some quality resistance training 2/ 3 times a week, giving yourself plenty of recovery time, and sleep, so your body can repair itself and build muscle. You will also need to eat accordingly, and ensure you are putting enough into your body for the building blocks for that muscle, so definitely extra calories, and also sufficient protein.

If you want to do some cardio too, I would make sure you do not do too much, if muscle building is your priority, and perhaps just 2/ 3 light enough sessions a week on the days you're not doing any resistance training. Also you'll need to make sure you're eating accordingly to meet the extra energy demands of the cardio.

Sounds like you plan to start quite frenetically, adding a load of things at once - perhaps you might consider doing what you're doing normally, and just start by adding some structured body weight training/ resistance training 2/ 3 times a week and go from there.

I'm not a complete newbie and I have some experience with different types of cardio & weights. My 5-times-a-week plan is just for me to get more focused and organized :) The 2 days of abs/pilates or yoga are more for fun and my own pleasure rather than "working out" :)