DOMS - when to go back to the gym?

Options
Cc215
Cc215 Posts: 228 Member
So I lifted for the first time on Monday night. The last 2 days have been painful.

It's started to ease a little today - my thighs no longer feel like they may explode with every step I take - and I can now slowly and painfully drag myself up 2 flights of stairs at a time, but sitting down and walking down the stairs is still a big problem.

I've been keeping as active as I can - I've managed to still do my 10k steps - albeit very slowly for the last couple of days. And I've managed a gently swim and an hour of pilates.

My brain tells me I want to go back and do session number 2 now - my legs aren't so keen.

So do I take a couple of painkillers and put my legs through more squatting - or do I give myself a bit longer?

Replies

• redfiona99
    redfiona99 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    The first thing I want to tell you is it won't be so bad after the next session.

What I do when I've got really bad leg doms is do a body weight squat. If that doesn't kill me (as in sore is fine, hurting is bad) then I'm fine to go ahead with the session.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    You could try to go today but if you're still quite sore, it's likely going to affect your form so it might not be a great idea. Wait another day, do some more gentle cardio and stretching. How about some upper body work?
  • kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    I'd work in some yoga/stretching/low impact exercises. The last thing you will want to do is USE those muscles, but it will help a LOT. Don't take painkillers before going to the gym. Just go. It might surprise you!
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    Work through it. Once you're warmed up, the pain isn't as bad, sometimes barely noticeable.
  • Mbierschbach
    Mbierschbach Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Go. You'll be glad you did. You've given your body plenty of restorative rest - you won't be HURTING anything by going. As painful as those first reps are, you'll find that eases just a few minutes into your workout and you'll find yourself less sore than you were all day.

On a side note, as the season for them will be here soon enough I always say the same is true for a head cold. You can't breath all day and then you're supposed to go workout? Truth is - the exertion and endorphins get the blood flowing and you can actually breath better during your workout than you did before or after.
  • Jim_Barteck
    Jim_Barteck Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    The general rule is that if the muscle is sore to the touch, you should *NOT* work it out. If not, then it's safe to work it; however, you might consider doing a workout of other body parts which aren't already sore.
  • tannatannabobanna
    tannatannabobanna Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Truth^^^ do a longer workout to push some blood into the muscles, also try high reps at a lower weight. But still maintain intensity, but it might just seem a little easier to deal with the soreness
  • jescamp9481
    jescamp9481 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    get to the gym now! I always plan for a cardio day after leg day, the sooner the better, and do some low intensity steady state cardio, keeping circulation to the muscles will aid in the rebuilding process and help to reduce inflammation. I would not do any kind of strength traing on those muscles until the pain has subsided. It does get better.

Lastly, foam roll your quads and hamstrings. Doesnt take long maybe a minute or two on each leg but it helps. I foam roll after the cardio. I hope this helps!!!

Also, if you can up your protein intake for the 24 hours after strength training session. That has seemed to work for me. Not saying that it actually helps but if your mind thinks it helps that is good enough for me. The placebo effect has been proven countless times.
  • Cc215
    Options
    What I do when I've got really bad leg doms is do a body weight squat. If that doesn't kill me (as in sore is fine, hurting is bad) then I'm fine to go ahead with the session.

This seemed sensible - I just tried this - managed to lower myself very slowly - could not get back up! Had to use the wall to drag myself up again - perhaps I'm not quite there yet!! lol
  • n3ver3nder
    n3ver3nder Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    The sooner you get some blood back into the muscles the better.

Also, invest in a foam roller and use it after your lifting sessions, should help ease the DOMS a bit.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    If your squat was that labored, you're probably a touch early going back to the weights. Hit a moderate intensity swim session, and finish off your friday with a lifting day.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    If you're *this* sore, perhaps you tried to go too hard too soon in the previous workout? Adjust your expectations, avoid an 'all or nothing' mentality and realize this whole thing is a lifelong journey.
    What lifting program are you following?
  • redfiona99
    redfiona99 Posts: 116 Member
    Options

This seemed sensible - I just tried this - managed to lower myself very slowly - could not get back up! Had to use the wall to drag myself up again - perhaps I'm not quite there yet!! lol

Ouch! Hope you feel better soon. I think Kirkor is probably right, I'd probably dial down my workouts a little if I were you because consistently doing exercise will get you to your goals faster than higher intensity but less consistency.
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    So I lifted for the first time on Monday night. The last 2 days have been painful.

It's started to ease a little today - my thighs no longer feel like they may explode with every step I take - and I can now slowly and painfully drag myself up 2 flights of stairs at a time, but sitting down and walking down the stairs is still a big problem.

I've been keeping as active as I can - I've managed to still do my 10k steps - albeit very slowly for the last couple of days. And I've managed a gently swim and an hour of pilates.

My brain tells me I want to go back and do session number 2 now - my legs aren't so keen.

So do I take a couple of painkillers and put my legs through more squatting - or do I give myself a bit longer?

What you're describing is exactly how my legs felt after the first couple times I squatted. I recommend warming up on the rowing machine before you lift, and then doing some dynamic stretching (plie squat, lunges) then foam rolling the quads and glutes and then lifting as normal. Eventually it won't be so bad if you stick to a regimen. I'd say after about 1 - 2 weeks of consistent lifting you won't have this level of soreness.
  • oinkerjnn
    oinkerjnn Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    My wife uses a foam roller to stretch in her Pilates class. Its like a 3' oversized pool noodle but firmer. They're all over amazon for $20 or so. On my hard workout days, I'll stretch using that after dinner when I'm just laying around anyways. Its incredible, feels like a deep tissue massage.

As others have said, there's a big difference between hurt and sore. Just like into e sports world there's a big difference between hurt and injured. Once you get into a rhythm you will love the soreness.
  • Cc215
    Options
    If you're *this* sore, perhaps you tried to go too hard too soon in the previous workout? Adjust your expectations, avoid an 'all or nothing' mentality and realize this whole thing is a lifelong journey.
    What lifting program are you following?

I definitely tried too hard this time! But it wasn't my regular training plan - I had a session with a trainer to make sure I was doing things properly - I did a lot of squats before he was happy with my form - and more than my regular training plan will contain!!
  • Cc215
    Options
    Thanks for the foam roller tips - I popped out and got one at lunchtime. I'm going to go for a walk in a minute and will try it out on my muscles when I get back.

Hopefully tomorrow will be a better day and I can get back into the few weights section :)
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    keep at it, intense soreness is always just from doing something you never/rarely do.

It goes away with repetation and consistentcy.

Secondly
    drink water
    eat food
    rest
    foam roll

later.
    rinse
    repeat.

rest on rest days (stretch or go for a walk- but actually rest)- and don't try to make mountains of mole hills- if you're on a program- do the program.
  • Megmo127
    Megmo127 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    keep at it, intense soreness is always just from doing something you never/rarely do.

It goes away with repetation and consistentcy.

Secondly
    drink water
    eat food
    rest
    foam roll

later.
    rinse
    repeat.

rest on rest days (stretch or go for a walk- but actually rest)- and don't try to make mountains of mole hills- if you're on a program- do the program.

THIS. Foam rolling WILL hurt as well, but it's an amazing recovery tactic.

I like bathing in epsom salts as well if I'm mega sore. Arnica gel/cream is also a good thing to massage into your muscles for some relief.
  • Cc215
    Options
    I'm glad I gave myself the extra day - I got up this morning and managed to sit on my desk chair rather than throw myself on it. So I decided today was the day I would go back into the free weights section.

My muscles still hurt - but not unbearably so. Fingers crossed tomorrow will be a less painful day than the day after my first session!