Working in the food industry

Options
Just started this today. Want to lose at least 50 lbs. How does one go on a diet when they work in the food industry.Quiting my job is not an option. I have lost weight before but seem to gain it back and more.

Replies

• T0RIEELIZABETH
    Options
    I work at a mexican fast food restaurant and the food is amazing. I eat something healthy before I go to work, drink a lot of water, and if I have to eat there, I look on here to see what my best options are.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    I basically worked my way through college working at fast food joints and catering, and there were many days the only meals I could afford were the comped meals I got at work. Sometimes I had some choice (I can't even SMELL Taco Bell bean burritos to this day because I got absolutely SICK of them) and other times the choice was whatever the customers didn't eat that day (and the doughy pasta alfredo didn't get any better from sitting in the food warmer all evening.)

If you get some choice in what you can eat at work, be a model to your fellow employees and choose well! Just because they make crap doesn't mean you have to EAT the crap. There are probably a few things on the menu that are better choices than others.

But if you don't get much choice in what you get for free, log it and count it, and then make adjustments in your other meals to compensate.

As for constantly being surrounded by temptation? I'd say, get a big-ole water bottle at your station, and drink drink drink drink drink.

Good luck and YOU CAN DO IT!
  • FitJoani
    FitJoani Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    Wait you guys actually get hungry??? I move around so much that it kills my appetite
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    I used to work for Mcdonald's and I know when you work in a restaurant you tend to eat what you can when you can and often as fast as you can. That makes it much more difficult to count your calories. The advantage to it is, you are contantly moving and even when it is slow there is always something to do.

When I was younger before I had kids it was easier to lose weight and work there. I used to exercise by doing squats to pick up french fries. That was my challenge. You can imagine how many french fries got dropped on the floor. I did a lot of squats. I also made sure to eat before I went to work and only when I went on my break. I planned my break, what I was going to eat. I was a manger and had to cash out at the end of the night. That was another time I would mindlessly eat. I just made a rule to not eat while I was cashing out.

It wasn't long before I lost weight and had my regular customers noticing.
    Best wished.
  • suzi67
    suzi67 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Totally agree with the water tip and eating before work. I work as a server in a sushi restaurant, and that's what keeps me from nibbling on the tempura prawns they keep on the counter. My only issue is my hours are messing up a regular eating schedule. My shifts start first at 11:15 to 2-2:30, then a two hour break or so and then dinner shift from 4:45 to 8-9:30pm, depending on whose turn it is to leave first. On my non working days I have a "normal" eating schedule, but I'm finding eating after the dinner shift keeps me awake at night. Oh, the adjustments that must be made to be in this industry.
  • AndriaLL
    AndriaLL Posts: 162
    Options
    I used to work for a place that made desserts. To top it off, I was the QC manager and we had to taste test every batch of cookies, cheesecake, cake, pie and custard that came off the lines. That's the most important quality test one can do besides the micro testing after all. Fortunately I was getting close to my black belt in Tae Kwon Do at the time and doing a lot of training every single day. I think I'd weigh a ton otherwise! The one day I did count the calories it was over 700 just from taste testing the sweets at work. Some people had the ability to taste, and then spit out:sick: I could never do that...
  • Sirenism
    Sirenism Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    When I worked at Subway I brought a lunch to work. I'd ask if you could do the same. Otherwise I would learn what's in the food and calories of what you're wanting.
  • Holton
    Holton Posts: 1,018
    Options
    I cater and I have successfully lost 40+ pounds this past year. The bottom line is that I was really motivated to do so, so I packed my own meals; rarely ate what I prepared other than when necessary and logged every morsel of it. I personally think having the right mindset is the key. Unfortunately it took me 20 years to gain that mindset, but once I had it, losing weight became an easier process. My best advice would be to really focus on why you want to lose weight and plan your own meals; don't think you have to eat what you are serving. Good luck to you on your journey!
  • willowyn
    Options
    When I worked at Sonic, I know I gained weight. Now that I work at a bakery I have actually lost about 20 lbs from moderating what I eat to drinking flavored water with no sugar at work. I've tried eating before work, but I still get extremly hungry when I don't get to eat solid food for 5 to 6 hours. All I can say is to train yourself to look for the healthier options. I thought I hated wholegrain bread, but came to find out I actually enjoy it. Don't give in! Keep your eye on the bottom line of losing weight and you can still lose weight even if you work in a fast food place.
  • cherslone
    Options
    I work in a cookie factory. I have learned not to eat the first cookie or I will be nibbling all day. Thanks for all the advice I really appreciate it.
  • wdugger
    wdugger Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I work at Cracker Barrel...Comfort food central. This is part of how I gained weight in the first place. So now I'm armed with information. I know the calorie content in the food...One side of Mac N Cheese 437 calories...no thank you.

I compiled a SHORT list of Go to Meals at work that I can eat

2 pancakes with promise spread and sugar free maple syrup. Rounds out at 275 For when I'm craving something sweet

Grilled Chicken Tenders Kids Meal with Green beans (Less than 350 dont remember precisely)

I could also do a Baked Potato or small salad.

Its all about knowing the menu and advance planning. If something irresistible gets put up in the window for servers to eat...such as pineapple upside down cake I take a bite and walk into the dining room for 5 minutes...chat with tables, clean...anything to get out of the kitchen...If after five minutes I go back and theres any left I allow myself one more bite and leave the kitchen for 10....Nothing free ever lasts longer than 20 minutes so it works for me.

Also carry an emergency snack in your apron...I use an aldi vitality bar. (Like a special k bar) Its go to for an instant energy boost and helps me from making a worse decision when I do have time to eat. Hope this helps.

~T