Weight lifting/toning tips

Options
So I am in the process of trying to lose weight (100+) and tone up I don't want to have saggy skin in the end I'm sure its going to happen but I want to try to prevent it the best I can. My question is I try doing exercises with weights but I don't feel sore after I'm done so obviously I'm not doing it right. Does anyone have any tips for a weight loss and toning routine? If I do leg exercises or total body cardio I feel it. But when I work on my arms I don't at all. I want to feel the burn lol...Currently I am doing C25K every other day and on my off day's I'm doing weights/crunches/pushups that type of thing ..Any suggestions would be great!!

Replies

• FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    Read the New Rules of Lifting for Women. Lift HEAVY - not the little pink dumbbells.

http://www.thenewrulesoflifting.com/nrol-for-women
  • pinktoesjb
    pinktoesjb Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    up the weights, that is all.
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Check out Fitness Blender on YouTube, they have lots of strength training workouts, there's also the book New Rules for Lifting for Women. BTW feeling sore after a workout is not necessarily a sign of a good workout.
  • FitMama2013
    FitMama2013 Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I started by doing Stronglifts 5x5 and then moved on to an intermediate program by Nia Shanks
  • kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    Read the New Rules of Lifting for Women. Lift HEAVY - not the little pink dumbbells.

http://www.thenewrulesoflifting.com/nrol-for-women

This. or SL 5x5. You need to lift HEAVY :)
  • kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    I started by doing Stronglifts 5x5 and then moved on to an intermediate program by Nia Shanks

Wildly OT but OMG BABYWEARING!! HI friend!!!!! :D
  • mrzdew
    mrzdew Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Lift as heavy as you can while still practicing good form, and try to switch up your routine once your muscles become use to your current one! Good luck and GO STEELERS!! :) (and check out bodybuilding.com lots of great info there and videos to help you with proper form)
  • rebeccaplatt21
    Options
    in for answers
  • icrushit
    icrushit Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    I suspect controlling the rate of weight loss, and allowing your skin time to adjust, may be the best option. Toning will help, but saggy skin and stretch marks often come from weight loss that is too rapid. What you want to do is to do whats best for your skin, make sure it has all the nutrients it needs to keep it supple and elastic, do that and I suspect your body will adjust to the new sized you :)
  • FitMama2013
    Options

You just made my day :)
  • Mommy23js
    Mommy23js Posts: 31 Member
    Options

Yes!!! Babywearing!! My youngest is 6 and seeing that pic with the little one on your back, just brought back a flood of cuddly memories. Thank you!
  • mirandag57
    mirandag57 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Is the Stronglifts 5X5 this site? http://stronglifts.com/5x5/ or is there another one I should be looking for? Thanks for the help all!! :)
  • Mommy23js
    Mommy23js Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Is the Stronglifts 5X5 this site? http://stronglifts.com/5x5/ or is there another one I should be looking for? Thanks for the help all!! :)

That's the one! :-)

Edited to add: Check out the Stronglifts 5x5 for women group here on MFP. This sticky is great:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/560459-stronglifts-5x5-summary
  • LiftAndBalance
    LiftAndBalance Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    As most people already suggested, lift heavy. Stronglifts 5x5, New Rules of Lifting for Women, AllPro's beginner routine and Strong Curves, e.g., would be good starting points.

Make sure to either get someone competent to help you with proper form or watch youtube videos and film yourself so you can compare. Good form is essential, especially if you lift heavy, or you're gonna end up injuring yourself.
    Toning will help, but saggy skin and stretch marks often come from weight loss that is too rapid.
    Stretch marks come from gaining the weight, not losing it.
  • nailfarmer
    Options
    Another technique for lifting, whatever exercise you are doing, you want to do 3 sets, first set should be 12-14 times, second set 8-10 times, and last set should be 4-6 times. You should try and go as heavy as you can so that the you couldn't possibly do anymore. Give about a 1-2 minute rest in between sets.
  • FitMama2013
    Options

Make sure to either get someone competent to help you with proper form or watch youtube videos and film yourself so you can compare. Good form is essential, especially if you lift heavy, or you're gonna end up injuring yourself.

I like Scott Herman Fitness on youtube...I think he explains exercises pretty well!
  • LiftAndBalance
    LiftAndBalance Posts: 960 Member
    Options

I like Scott Herman Fitness on youtube...I think he explains exercises pretty well!

Agree. Or the instructional videos by bodybuilding.com.
  • mirandag57
    mirandag57 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Thanks all!! :)
  • kerry981
    kerry981 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I suspect controlling the rate of weight loss, and allowing your skin time to adjust, may be the best option. Toning will help, but saggy skin and stretch marks often come from weight loss that is too rapid. What you want to do is to do whats best for your skin, make sure it has all the nutrients it needs to keep it supple and elastic, do that and I suspect your body will adjust to the new sized you :)

^^^THIS. Although the part about stretch marks is not right. You get those from gaining. But everything else is spot on.