should i avoid abdominal exercises

Options
i have lost several pounds and it showing in my stomach, i was told not to do any type of abdominal exercises till i lose more weight due to building muscle under the fat, is this true if not help.

Replies

• 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    You can and should be doing ab exercises now. Yes, there is a layer of fat over them now so you may not see a 6 pack, but you won't see a 6 pack when the fat is gone either if you aren't training your abs.
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    And why WOULDN"T you want to build muscle under fat? That's what you're supposed to do. :noway:

Dude, I have like the most amazing abs under all this flab. I can even see it. Once the fat comes down, it's photogarph time!
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    If you have a weak core, do some exercises to bring it up by all means. It does seem to be an area where most people who are untrained are especially deficient.

However, I wouldn't worry about building significant muscle in a calorie deficit with non-progressive exercises. You might build abdominals with a sustained calorie surplus and a progressive weighted abdominal routine, but building muscle is hard. A lot harder than losing fat - it doesn't happen by accident for men who have the hormonal advantage, let alone for women.
  • mrzdew
    mrzdew Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Sounds like horrible advice!!!!! You should def work those ab muscles so that as the fat comes off you will have something to show off!!!!!!!!
  • sculli123
    sculli123 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    Train your abs if you want to see them once you drop the fat.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    To be fair, you don't really need to do specific abs exercises.

A good quality lifting routine focused on Squatting, DLing and Pressing will provide all the core stimulation necessary for most people. Doing a bunch of crunches isn't either going to give you abs (you've already got them) or make you look fat - it's more likely to jack up your back than anything.

Plenty of protein, solid lifting routine, moderate calorie deficit, time, hard work, patience will get you there. If you need to pep up your abs after all that, then worry about a bulk with some extra attention to the area.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    You don't have to do ab-specific workouts to get abs. You won't see any definition until you drop to a person-specific body fat percentage. Even then, you don't have to target your abs. Squatting and other exercises like planks work your core in addition to your legs and bum. You get way more bang for your workout if you work many areas at once. You don't have to wait to drop BF% to start squatting without weights unless you have bum knees.
  • dojomax
    dojomax Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    i have lost several pounds and it showing in my stomach, i was told not to do any type of abdominal exercises till i lose more weight due to building muscle under the fat, is this true if not help.

I hate when people say that. Omg.