30 day shred and bad kness, running shoes remedy?

Options
Dear All,

Every time I start working out with 30 day shred, I end up with bad knees.

This is my third time going through it, and I feel bad because its hindering all my daily activities.It leaves me so weak at knees the entire day.

Iam thinking of changing my shoes with the ones meant for running.

Would it help me with the high knees,jumping jacks and plank jumps?Or its meant for running only?

Any other suggestions/advices are welcome...

Thank you,:smile:

Replies

• mikevandewetering
    mikevandewetering Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    It depends really, have you been to a doctor?
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    Pick something else that doesn't mess with your knees like that.
  • 8bitAlina
    8bitAlina Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I gave up on 30DS when it affected my knees so much more than any other program I've used. Maybe try modifying some of the moves so they aren't quite so jarring on the knees?
  • bluepanda512
    bluepanda512 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    It depends really, have you been to a doctor?

The pain subsides if I take a break for 5-6 days.So, never went to doctor thinking its a result of the impact.
  • bluepanda512
    Options

Agree..its pretty famous for weight loss, hence sticking with the program repeatedly.

Most of the famous program for weight loss have these kinda high impact.:frown:
    And I really want to lose weight, so not able to give up. :ohwell:
  • mikevandewetering
    mikevandewetering Posts: 155 Member
    Options

Agree..its pretty famous for weight loss, hence sticking with the program repeatedly.

why not start with weightlifting? it isn't hard on your knees when you use proper form. Als how about when you do those things barefoot? do you have proper walking form? (beleave me many people do not). if not, you will put to many pressure on your knees and not work your feet, calves and hamstrings like you should.
  • maasha81
    maasha81 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Have you tried the modified version of the moves or even a diff program? I used cross trainers not running shoes for high impact workouts (JM, Insanity, T25 workouts). Athletic / court shoes are recommended too I believe.
  • misskris78
    misskris78 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I have never done 30 DS, but I'd suggest a shoe with lateral support like a basketball or volleyball shoe rather than a running shoe. The shoes have gummier soles that stick to hard surfaces and provide stability. They're also cushioned appropriately for jumping.
  • GillianMcK
    GillianMcK Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I have never done 30 DS, but I'd suggest a shoe with lateral support like a basketball or volleyball shoe rather than a running shoe. The shoes have gummier soles that stick to hard surfaces and provide stability. They're also cushioned appropriately for jumping.

Would the gummier soles not then start causing issues with any of the sideways work??

Have you tried doing it in your bare feet (don't know what surface you do it on), could you be doing it on carpet and the friction from the carpet be causing more of a jarring type action on any sideways movements (haven't done 30 DS, but have done some insanity classes and they have side to side movements which would be ideal on carpet)??
  • bluepanda512
    Options
    Have you tried the modified version of the moves or even a diff program? I used cross trainers not running shoes for high impact workouts (JM, Insanity, T25 workouts). Athletic / court shoes are recommended too I believe.

Ya I did the modified versions too..but still the same pain. How do we name it at stores/online..cross trainers or any other name?

Can I search it with 'Athletic / court shoes'. Pardon me, my knowledge base is too little about the sports shoes.
  • h7463
    h7463 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Hi! I've done probably most of Jillian's workouts, and I'm on day 5 of 30 day shred today.
    I've got a selection of different shoes, but I found these useful for this training:
    http://store.nike.com/us/en_us/pd/free-1-cross-bionic-training-shoe/pid-1481191/pgid-972278
    The soles are very sticky, and I'm not sliding around, regardless of pushups, lunges.... They have a good grip on just about any surface. Also, the soles are thin, and they won't bounce you out of balance on jumps or side lunges, like some comfy running shoes tend to do. They also fit very tight, and they are best with very thin socks, if any.
    As for your knee problems: If the jumping jacks are not for you, just keep repeating the jump-rope or jog in place. Moving is all that counts!

Train safe!
  • bluepanda512
    Options
    Hi! I've done probably most of Jillian's workouts, and I'm on day 5 of 30 day shred today.
    I've got a selection of different shoes, but I found these useful for this training:
    http://store.nike.com/us/en_us/pd/free-1-cross-bionic-training-shoe/pid-1481191/pgid-972278
    The soles are very sticky, and I'm not sliding around, regardless of pushups, lunges.... They have a good grip on just about any surface. Also, the soles are thin, and they won't bounce you out of balance on jumps or side lunges, like some comfy running shoes tend to do. They also fit very tight, and they are best with very thin socks, if any.
    As for your knee problems: If the jumping jacks are not for you, just keep repeating the jump-rope or jog in place. Moving is all that counts!

Train safe!

Lovely advice..:flowerforyou: .Iam too sliding around with some of the moves..especially the side lunges.Jumping jacks do cause me a lot of trouble.Good advice to try jump rope, I can do it for 2 minutes straight :smile: .Iam going to do it this time.

I was going with the conception that I have to do it exactly what she says to get the results.

Thanks a lot dear..!
  • h7463
    Options

Train safe!

Lovely advice..:flowerforyou: .Iam too sliding around with some of the moves..especially the side lunges.Jumping jacks do cause me a lot of trouble.Good advice to try jump rope, I can do it for 2 minutes straight :smile: .Iam going to do it this time.

I was going with the conception that I have to do it exactly what she says to get the results.

Thanks a lot dear..!

You are very welcome!

No, of course you can modify. In the end it's all your workout. This is the advantage of having done so many of her DVDs. I always remember a quick modification.
    Another hint about the knees on lunges: Really keep your calf/knee directly above or slightly behind your ankle. Pushing the knee too far out front will cause problems. Also, the exercise with the side lunges and DB front raises can be modified to simple squats with front raises. You will still have an upper and lower body exercise, but you will be able to keep better balance and your knees under control! Stand with your feet hip-width apart, and squat as low as you can by comfortably keeping up with the speed. Keep your bum above knee level, though. Any lower, and you'll be struggling to get up fast enough.

Have fun!
  • bluepanda512
    Options

Train safe!

Thanks a lot dear..!

You are very welcome!

No, of course you can modify. In the end it's all your workout. This is the advantage of having done so many of her DVDs. I always remember a quick modification.
    Another hint about the knees on lunges: Really keep your calf/knee directly above or slightly behind your ankle. Pushing the knee too far out front will cause problems. Also, the exercise with the side lunges and DB front raises can be modified to simple squats with front raises. You will still have an upper and lower body exercise, but you will be able to keep better balance and your knees under control! Stand with your feet hip-width apart, and squat as low as you can by comfortably keeping up with the speed. Keep your bum above knee level, though. Any lower, and you'll be struggling to get up fast enough.

Have fun!

:flowerforyou: The hint is where I was doing wrong..bending too far out front.Squat too going below knee level and almost sitting unable to get up..:laugh: .You helped me great deal with this tip:heart:
  • mimieon
    mimieon Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I use mizuho volleyball shoes for (jillian micheals) HIIT. They are really really awesome - superlight, really stable, really comfy. Imho, it is better to get training shoes/ volleyball shoes rather than running shoes, because they have much better sideward stability, which you definitely use when doing JM dvds.

Also, I'd recommend some of JM later dvds, rather than 30 day shred. The newer dvds (also according to michaels herself) are a bit better and more balanced in impact. You may like Ripped in 30 (similar to the shred), or extreme shed and shred (bit longer than 30 day shred). Sidenote: ripped in 30 feels better balanced than 30 day shred, but I also consistently burn more calories with Ripped in 30 than I do with her 30 day shred dvd.
  • scubakat67
    scubakat67 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    Hi! I have struggled with bad knees for many years. I've never done 30DS, but if it's impacting your knees as much as you say, you might need to find a different activity to build your strength before you conquer 30DS. I'm not saying you should avoid it altogether, but you either need to modify the exercises that are causing the knee pain or build up your knees to a point where you can handle the exercises. Your knees might be telling you they're not ready yet for the intensity/impact your asking from them.

Form is VERY important. Make sure your knee is not bending beyond your toes (squats, lunges). Think of your form when you sit down in a chair. You want to "sit back" as much as possible so the line from your knee to your foot is perpendicular with the floor (or as close thereto without leaning over your knees). For those jumps (jump squats), you need to land softly - not jump, land, then squat.

Strengthen your quads and your knees will be happier. Work on the ballistic muscles in your knees, as well (single leg balance exercises).

Above all, pay attention to your body, if something hurts (more than the typical discomfort from exertion), make adjustments. It won't be too long before you'll be able to make it a little further before needing to make those adjustments. Good luck!
  • Orfygirl
    Orfygirl Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I found that my knees would bother me a lot doing 30DS until I learned proper form. I'm not saying that you aren't doing the exercises correctly but you may want to have someone watch you do lunges, squats, etc. just to see if they can give you some tips and/ or point out errors in your form. You may not realize that you actually are doing an exercise wrong. Once you get into a habit of doing an exercise one way it is very hard to break that habit especially if it isn't correct. I hope this helps.
  • h7463
    Options

Train safe!

Thanks a lot dear..!

You are very welcome!

Have fun!

:flowerforyou: The hint is where I was doing wrong..bending too far out front.Squat too going below knee level and almost sitting unable to get up..:laugh: .You helped me great deal with this tip:heart:

Hahaha! Good!
    I just survived my day 5 on it! While I was in the middle of the jumping jacks, I noticed, you can also do those by jumping in place, much like the jump rope, but still do the big arm movement. I had a bit sore knees myself on day 1, but now, the flexibility in my ankles has improved greatly, and I'm keeping my knees really straight, bouncing out of my ankles. It also makes a difference, how far out sideways you jump. Start in place, and slowly increase your jumps every workout day.
    Don't give up. Start with lighter weights, if you must. Dump the weights, keep up with the movements, if you have to. Just keep going! :flowerforyou:
  • h7463
    Options
    I use mizuho volleyball shoes for (jillian micheals) HIIT. They are really really awesome - superlight, really stable, really comfy. Imho, it is better to get training shoes/ volleyball shoes rather than running shoes, because they have much better sideward stability, which you definitely use when doing JM dvds.

Also, I'd recommend some of JM later dvds, rather than 30 day shred. The newer dvds (also according to michaels herself) are a bit better and more balanced in impact. You may like Ripped in 30 (similar to the shred), or extreme shed and shred (bit longer than 30 day shred). Sidenote: ripped in 30 feels better balanced than 30 day shred, but I also consistently burn more calories with Ripped in 30 than I do with her 30 day shred dvd.

Yes, i have played volleyball, and I agree on the shoes. They are in fact similar to the Nike Bionics.

I have done Ripped in 30, and the main difference is the duration of the strength exercises. Ri30 has 'just' 30 seconds of agony for each exercise, 30 day shred makes it more of a challenge, to keep up with the 1 full minute of misery....following the easy 30 seconds...
  • greenfirearm
    greenfirearm Posts: 120 Member
    Options

Try the 4 Week Low Impact Workouts (or to that effect) FitnessBlender. Doesn't cost very much, and they're designed to be easier on the knees. :)