Do you even like getting cheered on?

Options
Missboss888
Missboss888 Posts: 41 Member
Like I said in my "introducing myself" post. I've had MFP for a while but didn't take it seriously until this week. So my question now is do you guys like the compliments when you stay under your calories for the day or when you've lost 1 pound? I know I saw another post where someone mentioned people are "fake" in a way, when they do that. Don't get me wrong, I'm generally not a nice person, actually, I am really sassy (as my friends call me.) Job promotion? Cool. You're expecting? Cool. You're getting married? Cool. But when it comes to weight loss I get excited and the exclamation points and "Way to go!" Comments get a little crazy. Haha. Just didn't know if not everyone likes that. I personally only have 1 real life friend who is taking losing weight seriously so I need you guys.

Replies

• Nojoke81
    Nojoke81 Posts: 131
    Options
    The language of the internet is generally exaggerated, lol. Please note that I did not literally laugh out loud.

It's just how people generally communicate via text.
  • highcarbveganzombie
    highcarbveganzombie Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I really don't have anyone to cheer me on 'in real life' so yeah it would be nice to hear it (if it happens) lol. :P
  • Missboss888
    Options
    Friend request sent! :p
  • JoshD8705
    JoshD8705 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I click the like so people know I'm still watching, and if they've been struggling, and start getting it right then, "Way to go!" is appropriate. If someone is taking time out of their day to acknowledge you, I don't consider it fake. I know my life is very busy between dieting, working out, resposibilities, and finding time for fun. A simple like should mean something, and some kind words even more. I appreciate them when I get them :)
  • MscGray
    MscGray Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I changed my settings so that every little thing doesn't show up on my feed. IE: it doesn't push a notification that I completed and stayed under, I still have notifications for weight loss, and for day streak. I personally don't really pay much attention to peoples diary...unless they been fretting about some event coming up...then I might review it and give them a verbal "pat on the back" if they did well. In general I "like" weight loss unless they put up some kick *kitten* number, or they log some killer work out. I like to receive similar feedback, and as far as I can tell everyone who leaves me feedback/compliments/suggestions/etc seem to be truthful, not fluffy and/or fake. And most of all there are a few that will call me on my bull**** and help motivate me to get myself to the gym. Hope that helps!
  • HellaCarriefornia
    HellaCarriefornia Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I generally don't comment on daily diary completion entries. (I didn't know you could turn those off, so thanks MscGray for pointing that out.) But to me, any weight loss is progress so I comment to be encouraging. Esp if you know that person has been stalled for a while, I think it's nice to acknowlege they got it going again. And getting in a good long streak of logging in days shows consistancy, so I'll shout out for the big numbers.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I turned off all the announcements, except exercise.
  • Missboss888
    Options
    Today is my 4 day streak. I'm kind of excited about that. Hehe
  • ninav1980
    ninav1980 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I suppose if one doesnt like it they would simply change their settings so that these alerts never get posted. Otherwise I assume they appreciate it. I disabled the "log in days" alerts. I could care less if people know how many days in a row I Iog in.
  • vmlabute
    vmlabute Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty excitable about everything so I like all the compliments and kind words :)
  • emilyisbonkers
    emilyisbonkers Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    add me if you like :)
  • Typicalrouse
    Typicalrouse Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I like getting cheered on!! And I like cheering others on :)
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    I think that once "friends" get really friendly and see each other every day, it becomes more like "Yeah, good for you!" becasue we like these people now, people who were realtive strangers before (well, they are still strangers, haha, but you know what I mean).
  • weavernv
    weavernv Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options
    I recently just got some friends that I noticed get cheered on, and a couple that are cheering me on. I actually found that I like it. I've been cheering my friends on, and I hope that they like it. My friend list is REALLY small. I haven't been using MFP consistently until recently (about 3 months) so I'm not sure how much it would make a difference in my efforts. I guess I could find out if I had more friends.
  • Becoming_A_Butterfly
    Becoming_A_Butterfly Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    When I am struggling, yes, I do like getting encouraging comments and knowing that someone took the time to comment. I also changed my settings for the news feed so that only things I feel are relevant (like weight loss and my workouts) get posted.
  • DeadliftAddict
    DeadliftAddict Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    I could care less either way. I don't do this thing for gratification. It's nice but doesn't bother me. I congratulate others though.
  • sarahharas5
    sarahharas5 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I love the support. Fake or not, it keeps me going.
    My family members all say they are dieting but no one is really consistent. I think I drive them crazy talking about exercise and healthy choices all the time. So it's nice to be in a place where you are surrounded with people who are actively trying.
    You can add me for support if you want. My "Way to go!!"s will be genuine I promise :)
  • Missboss888
    Options
    I started adding people off the forums if they said something that sounded legit, or seemed really motivating, or just wanted new friends. But one of them put on their feed "Who is this girl" (my username) and I thought, omg I hope I don't look like a creep already "liking" her stuff. But I guess it's true if someone didn't want the cheering on it can be hidden. I didn't know that :P
  • mitchiejo
    mitchiejo Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I like cheering on my MFP friends and being cheered on by them. I don't look at everyone's food diary every single day but I do look from time to time to get ideas.