Low carb diet

Options
:heart: 2nd day on low carb diet. Missing my pasta and bread. Anyone else on the no to low carb diet? If so how are you doing with that?

Replies

• Warmbloodwear
    Warmbloodwear Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Im in the same boat! I went and bought low carb cookbook for dummies a year ago lol
  • kay43026
    Options
    I'm doing NO sugar or grains, lots of veggies and protein. So far...I'm doing GREAT!!
  • stmaurice
    stmaurice Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I've tried low cal and low carb. Low carb is really hard to deal with in terms of cravings and stuff. Not really healthy either (you can google tons of info to that effect). My "good news" is that I'm getting the same results on low cals as I did on low carb. If you use MyFitnessPal to track your calories (REAAALLLLLY track it good) you should get longer and healthier results than if you low carb. Plus, you can eat whatever you like, just in reasonable quantities!
  • jennlee80
    jennlee80 Posts: 142
    Options
    Welcome!! I have done the no/low carb diet plenty in the past (south beach diet)! It worked GREAT for me but I usually do no breads, pasta's, and fruit for 2 weeks. After that I slowly add in whole grains and good carbs. I am trying a different approach to the "no carb" diet now and sticking to good fats and good carbs plus watching calories. Good luck to you! It's not an easy thing to do.
  • kellystar2
    Options
    Hello. I am doing ok for my first day. I will keep ya updated as the days pass....... lol.
  • chrissym78
    chrissym78 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    I've been primal/low-carb for almost 7 months. Feel fabulous and down 57 lbs all together! Primal is SUPER HEALTHY! No processed junk, real food, lots of protein, fruits and veggies. Check it out at marksdailyapple.com :)
  • sassykj
    sassykj Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have done it off and on, but I seem to see a wierd hormonal reaction which triggers anxiety inme every time I get into it! Has anyone else had the same of similar result? It has been the one reason I haven't stuck to it for long!
  • 1113cw
    1113cw Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    I got "The 17 Day Diet" not realizing the first 2 cycles are no carbs whatsoever. I've done The Zone before which is similiar. I know from experience that cutting carbs out completely just doesn't work for me. So instead I'm tweaking the plan an limiting the amount of carbs and also making sure their healthy complex carbs (although the flour tortilla in my dinner wrap totally doesn't fit into that, hey I'm human).

But on the whole, limiting carbs isn't a bad thing. For me, it works combined with excercise, over the long haul. But virtually no white bread, pasta, or potatoes is hard!

Good luck!
  • kellystar2
    Options
    Have you tried these...... I love them and use them in place of bread. I missed havein and sandwich.......... not any more. I have a pizza recipe, Google Oopsie rolls for different recipes for the roll.

View full nutritional breakdown of C's Oopsie Rolls calories by ingredient
    Nutritional Info
    Servings Per Recipe: 6
    Amount Per Serving
    Calories: 116.0
    Total Fat: 9.9 g
    Cholesterol: 162.7 mg
    Sodium: 98.1 mg
    Total Carbs: 1.1 g
    Dietary Fiber: 0.0 g
    Protein: 5.6 g

4 Eggs, Seperated
    1/8 Tsp Cream of Tartar
    1 Tsp Splenda
    4 oz Cream Cheese

*** Can add different seasonings to make it sweet or savory.

Combine Egg Whites and Cream of Tartar. Beat until very stiff peaks have formed.

Beat together remaining ingredients until just combined.

Gently fold egg yolk mixture into the egg whites- about 6 folds only- don't go any further than that.

Spray a cookie sheet and add "mounds" of the mixture- flatten them out slightly.

Bake at 400F for about 20-30 minutes. Let cool on a cooling rack overnight, until they have firmed up. Store in a open bag. Let sit out about 10 minutes before use to let them dry out.

Number of Servings: 6
  • jsk007
    jsk007 Posts: 2
    Options
    It's been a week since I started this no carb diet. It is the "17 Day Diet". 10 more days and I'll start introducing healthy carbs into the diet. I feel good (although I did get unreasonably angry when my husband brought him and my son a sausage and egg bisquit and hashbrowns from McDonald's home for breakfast this morning). I'll give it another 10 days and see where I'm at. I'm beginning to think of this as a jump start to kick in my metabolism then I'll do only healthy carbs and (try) no processed foods....I need to get more creative with my meals....there's got to be more to life than just salads.
  • atomdraco
    atomdraco Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    Has been trying just low carb, didn't help with losing weight doing it alone. Need exercises. It's hard to go with low carb, trying to stick with whole grain when I eat carb, etc.
  • helenbeee
    helenbeee Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    You dont need a low carb diet you need a low gi diet (glycemic index). Theres a difference the low GI diet means that yes you lower your carb intake but you replace the bad carbs ( most baked goods, white breads, pastas, snack foods, candies, and non-diet soft drink) with good carbs ( whole vegetables whole fruits beans legumes nuts seeds whole cereal grains).

The reason you have cravings is because most of the processed carbs we eat wreak havoc on our natural hormone levels. Insulin production, especially, is 'thrown out of wack' as the body attempts to process the huge amounts of starches and simple sugars contained in a typical 'bad carb'-based meal. This leads to dramatic fluctuations in blood glucose levels - a big reason why you often feel lethargic after eating these unhealthy meals.

Also, it's important to realize that most processed carb foods provide only 'empty' calories - calories with little or no nutritional-value. Eat enough of these empty calories and your body will quickly turn them into extra bodyfat, as anyone with a weight problem already knows all to well!

The regular consumption of large amounts of high-sugar, low-fiber, nutritionally-poor 'bad carbs' eventually leads to a much higher risk of obesity, diabetes, cancer, heart disease, and more. It's pretty clear that the abundance of processed carbs and unhealthy trans-fats found in so many foods is a major cause - if not the biggest cause - of many of our modern chronic health problems.

This information is readily avaible on the internet, in books and from related health professionals
    I found this site is a good resource http://www.goodcarbs.org/
    Hope this is helps
    Cheers!
  • utahsis
    Options
    I started a low carb diet today. I lost weight and kept it off for a year on the low carb plan, but then gave into peer pressure to eat a balanced diet over the past year has just resulted in me gaining weight. Fruit, bread, etc. always triggers sugar cravings and once I start there's not enough sweets in the world....

I never crave sweets when I follow the low carb plan -- so I guess I'll go back to what works for me. :smile:
  • crystal_sapphire
    crystal_sapphire Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    i'm doing better than ever to be honest. curbs my binging problem. i'm not afraid of the extra fat in my diet either. going to buy some more turkey bacon today :laugh:

if you're craving something sweet i suggest cottage cheese plus frozen berries. you can add a bit of sweetener into it. reminds me a bit like ice cream

btw i'm usually between 60 to 100g day of carbs.

my percentage is set at 20% carbs 40% fat and 40% protein