binge

Options
was doing well all day and then - just now - ate 3 cereal bars. 297 calories over my goal!! and they had chocolate in.
i feel really sick and guilty
what do i do? do i eat 300 fewer tomorrow?

Replies

• AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    Yep, or go walk three miles.

Either way.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Drink lots of water, too. It will help feeling full. Oh, and banish the guilt. It will weigh you down more than those cereal bars!!
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    I remember when I read the word binge it meant eating an entire box of oreos, three donuts, a couple of hamburgers and a shake that added up to thouands of calories.

297 calories.....pffft, please. You can work that off on one FitnessBlender workout. You'll be fine.
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    Just get right back on your plan for today. 300 calories isn't going to throw off your entire week unless you use it as an excuse to give up.

I'm not a fan of the suggestions to eat less over the next few days or try to exercise it off---that's basically a binge/ restrict or binge/purge sort of mindset that isn't going to help your relationship with food or your body.

Just get back on your plan now. Think about how you were feeling when you started the binge--what triggered it. Log the binge, put the reasons in your Food Notes section and then try to figure out other ways to deal with whatever triggered the binge.
  • fat2skinny50
    fat2skinny50 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Don't let this upset you, just put it behind you and keep logging the rest of your day. You can exercise a little more today if that is possible. I personally would not eat less tomorrow, but then I love food so I couldn’t even if I wanted to.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Depending on how your goals are set, 300 calories over probably didn't even bring you to your maintenance calories. It probably won't cause more than a blip on your weight loss chart. I wouldn't worry about it, myself.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Move on. We've all done it.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    When I have a day where I go over, I look at my reports. Click on "reports" then click on "net calories". The 7 day one will show the current day plus the previous 6. I add up the net calories for the previous six (or all 7 if I just closed out my diary for the day) and divide it by the number of days I added to get my average net for the week. If I am under my goal, I don't worry about making up for the excess.

Your body does not have an automatic reset that happens at midnight each day so you shouldn't worry about what happens in a particular day, as long as overall you are at a deficit. Paying attention to the rolling stats in the reports really helps to not freak out over any one day.

I print and take my reports to my doctor when I have a visit. She loves these and she also loves that I have a few days scattered here and there where I went significantly over my target. Her theory is that "perfection" can lead to an eventual downfall and treating myself to extra food on occasion is very healthy as long as the long term is a deficit.
  • sheedy17
    sheedy17 Posts: 128
    Options
    i ate a almost a full bag of chips and a thing of dill pickle dip the other week , I just woke up the next day and moved on, don't think about it, just work harder the next day and keep going, there will be hiccups along the way but no need to stress
  • melindabrock
    melindabrock Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Im pretty sure I will go over with my catered lunch today so I plan on just working it off tonight :)
  • AbsolutelyAnnie
    AbsolutelyAnnie Posts: 2,695 Member
    Options
    . . . banish the guilt. It will weigh you down more than those cereal bars!!

^ This. Forgive yourself.

Just before moving on, take a couple of minutes to notice what was going on before you fell under the spell of the cereal bars. :-) Hungry, lonely, tired, bored, afraid, stress, angry, sad? It is good to be able to notice if you have any triggers that cause you to feel less in control of your eating. I am getting better about my emotions and state of mind, but have less luck if I get too hungry. Healthy snacks between my meals are my good friends. If I am super hungry at the end of the day it is probably because I haven't gotten enough protein or fat that day. Make sure you are getting enough food all day long, and that your calorie goal is not overly restrictive (a huge binge trigger).

Then, forgive yourself again, and move on. No need to compensate for a mere 300 calories.
  • mixedbag4444
    mixedbag4444 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I suffer from frequent bingeing... The trick is to NOT get in the habit of restricting yourself for the next few days. Work in a small workout tonight, if possible. I find if I over restrict, it leads to yo-yoing... a VERY BAD HABIT. Just forgive yourself, and keep motoring on!