Lets quit together! (smoking)

Options
I am a smoker :sad: and not very proud of it. I hate the way my clothes and coat smells, I hate that I feel like I have to go outside as soon as I wake up, after I eat, and after I workout. I hate that I do it! I'm embarassed that I smoke! Its very unattractive. My husband quit 3 years ago.......loser me still smokes, and my dad quit cold turkey about 4 years ago after smoking for 20+ years. I know I can do this! And I know you can too!

So I'd like to get a quit together support group. Lets pick a date to quit together: A week to two weeks from now. No longer than that. Its time to make a healthy change!

The more support, the better! If you are a quitter already, please join as well. Its always nice to get advice.

Replies

• HConverse
    Options
    I feel the same way! I have tried the patch and the Chantix ( which works well) it just made me feel funny! I am cutting back.
    I went from 15-18 smokes a day and now I am at 7 and would like to set Feb 1st as my quit date! I will join with you...I think its important to have support!
  • MaryTheIceCube
    MaryTheIceCube Posts: 1,099 Member
    Options
    Hello! I am a quitter. I quit two years ago in November, cold turkey. I'd be happy to offer advice and support to future quitters! :)
  • Kristyb1010
    Options
    Hi I just quit 2 months ago, so I know how hard it is. I used the patch. I smoked for 15 out of 30 years of my life. My whole family has smoked & then quit. You can do this - I know that if I can, you can too. My husband quit 1 year before me, so I can totally relate to what you are going through. I would love to join your support group. Just because I haven't smoked in two months, doesn't mean I'm not still a "smoker" in my heart, mind...and lungs. After quitting, I realized that food was the replacement and then I found My Fitness Pal. Since you've got the exercise & food under control, you can use the same passion towards not smoking. I wish you great luck. You can do it!
  • monteblk
    Options
    Hi-

I quit about 1 year ago, the day after Christmas. I quit cold turkey. I took a week off from work, since it was the holidays too. During that time, I stayed home all week to get over the withdrawal part, with out having the stress of work to tempt me to smoke.

I also used the timetable below to help motivate me (http://www.stqp.org/quitsmokingtimeline.asp). Hope this helps. I would be happy to help motivate you. I have a ton of friends that still smoke and can still be around them with out the urges. Good luck!

Quit Smoking Timeline:

20 MINUTES
    * Blood pressure drops to normal
    * Pulse rate drops to normal
    * Body temperature of hands and feet increases to normal

8 HOURS
    * Carbon monoxide level in blood drops to normal
    * Oxygen level in blood increases to normal

24 HOURS
    * Chance of heart attack decreases

48 HOURS
    * Nerve endings start regrowing
    * Ability to smell and taste is enhanced

2 WEEKS TO 3 MONTHS
    * Circulation improves
    * Walking becomes easier
    * Lung function increases up to 30 percent

1 TO 9 MONTHS
    * Coughing, sinus congestion, fatigue, and shortness of breath decrease
    * Cilia regrow in lungs, increasing their ability to handle mucus, clean the lungs, and reduce infection
    * Body's overall energy increases

1 YEAR
    * Excess risk of coronary heart disease is half that of a smoker

5 YEARS
    * Lung cancer death rate for an average former smoker (one pack a day) decreases by almost half
    * Stroke risk is reduced to that of a non-smoker five to 15 years after quitting
    * Risk of cancer of the mouth, throat, and esophagus is half that of a smoker's

10 YEARS
    * Lung cancer death rate is similar to that of a non-smoker
    * Precancerous cells are replaced
    * Risk of cancer of the mouth, throat, esophagus, bladder, kidney, cervix, and pancreas decreases

15 YEARS
    * Risk of coronary heart disease is that of a non-smoker
  • kellystar2
    Options
    My husband and I quit smoking after the new year. He is still taking the Chantix and not smoking. I stopped taking the Chantix after about a 18 days and I am still smoke free. My husband was almost a 2 pack a day. Me just a social smoker. I am so proud of my husband. Good luck.
  • Sheriemae
    Sheriemae Posts: 248
    Options
    I'm really looking forward to this! I think February 1st is a great day to start!!!!! I plan on using the electronic cigarette. I used it for one week a couple months ago and thought it was okay. Its not quite the same as smoking but it helps stop the urges. I only did it for a week because dummy me ordered the refills to late. It takes a week for the shippping. Excuses, Excuses, I know. I should have started using them as soon as I got them again. But now I know I get them from my mall.
    I feel really motivated right now to make this change! I plan to use the e-cig for a month with nicotine, then get the refills without nicotine. Hopefully this works!
    I once used the chantix as well, and I didn't like that at all! It made my heart race and gave me nightmares. I would wake up sweating, crying, screaming. It was just way to much for me. I tried the patch at one point as well. It was okay but I had a really hard time with it staying on. Not sure if anyone else had that problem.?
  • MaryTheIceCube
    Options
    Sheriemae: Thank you for the friend request! Best wishes for your February 1st quit date and please feel free to email me anytime for support, encouragement or advice. I personally just got SO tired of hacking and coughing, smelling bad and feeling bad that I became determined enough just to stop... of course, the cravings were terrible there for a while, but my determination to be a quitter kept me away from them.

Here's a blog I wrote a while back that may be of some help to those looking to quit: http://todefyego.blogspot.com/2010/12/get-agitated.html

Best wishes!!
  • tpycha126
    tpycha126 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I have to say, that I am someone who loves smoking. I truly enjoy it. But I am 24 and have a hard time going up and down my stairs. When I workout I have to stop and hack and cough to get crap out of my throat! I sound like I am 50 when I am coughing. I really don't want to be this way at my age. Good gosh imagine what I will be like when I am 50!
    Well on Sunday my husband smoked my last cigarette. Usually on my way to work I would pick up a pack. But this time I decided not to. I am on day 3 of no smoking! Yeah me! I am scared about the possibility of gaining weight. I tried quitting before this, a few different times, and because of those attemps I gained 20+ lbs. I am hoping that since I am using this website I will be able to not gain weight this time. I feel really good, I hope this time I can stick with it!
  • Sheriemae
    Sheriemae Posts: 248
    Options
    Congrats on quitting tpycha126! Thats great that you decided not to get a pack! :happy: I know this will be a tough journey for all of us that want to quit. But we can do it! My dad gave me some great words of wisdom last night. He said that dieting is so much harder than quitting smoking, but since I already have eating right and workout pretty down, I'm not too worried about gaining. Gum, gum, gum! I will be chewing it a lot! when I get those cravings.

"You need food to live, but you don't need cigarettes to live" ~dad Just have to make the right food choices especially while quitting.

Thanks MaryThelceCube! I look forward to reading your blog!
  • PuppyBandit
    Options
    Good luck all you quitters! Stay strong and work thru the urges a second at a time. I smoked for 29 years and quitting was the hardest thing I ever did. It was not easy, but it was so worth it! If you find yourself gaining weight, don't start back smoking, that was my downfall many times in the past.

Stay strong, you can do it !
  • JennyJH
    JennyJH Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Wow - I was thinking of starting a thread on the same topic - starting Feb 1st too!!

I'm in:smile:
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    I'm in. I quit for 1.5 years and then picked the stupid things up again.
  • Sheriemae
    Options
    Okay Quitters here we go! Tomorrow is the big day! I'm excited, yet nervous that I will fail.........If I fall, all I can do is pick myself back up. We can do it! I have four cigarettes left, then I'm done! Good luck everyone!
  • MaryTheIceCube
    Options
    BEST WISHES!!! to everyone committing to quitting today!! As Sheriemae points out, if you fall, just pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and try again! You can do it!!!
  • JennyJH
    Options
    Well, this morning was OK.

Usual routine, cup of tea, shower, breakfast, medicate dog, make lunch, go to work, work. Except without a cigarette. I did suck on my Inhalator a few times, but no desire for a ciggie.

Drive home, little pang.

Since getting home at 2:15 PM, I have gone to have a cigarette that many times.it is ridiculous. And I admit I want one. Luckily there are none in the house:laugh:

Current plan is some cleaning, practice salsa for tonight's class, prep dinner, shower, anything to keep busy!
  • MaryTheIceCube
    Options
    JennyJH: Very well done so far!! Keep it up! Keeping busy is the way to go, for sure. ;)
  • JennyJH
    Options
    Well, end of day one. I made it:smile:

Between work and dinner was the hardest. I'm going to have to come up with some ideas for distractions.

Roll on day 2:smile:
  • maher2006
    maher2006 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    my son is 8 months old..almost 9 months.. quit smoking with no problem wen i found out i was pregnant..and then wen he was a month old i bought a pack for the hell of it and feel even more addicted now then i did before..now ive been working out a lot but im so scared that i will gain wen i quit smoking..but its something i really wanna do..
  • JennyJH
    Options
    Hi maher - join us - you know you want to:smile:

Day two hasn't been quite so bad.

As yesterday, morning and work no problem. I didn't even use my inhalator until I got to work. Had to change in a fresh cartridge during a meeting - that or strangle someone!!

Swapped in a fresh cartridge when I got home and it has been easier than yesterday so far. Chat with a neighbour, put on laundry, fold towels, practice my salsa turns, update MFP:wink:

Going to watch V to fill the time between now and 3:40 when I pick up Son from the bus stop. Then I should be busy enough until Zumba.

Jenny