Do you even like getting cheered on?

Options

Replies

• besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    i don't really think streaks are that important, meh, i opened my laptop and was still logged into mfp, didn't really take much effort.

exercise and diaries, i am happy for my friends who took a walk, ran, lifted, and met their daily goals. sometimes i might phone it in with a "like" but overall, i am rooting for you all!
  • LastMinuteMama
    LastMinuteMama Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I started adding people off the forums if they said something that sounded legit, or seemed really motivating, or just wanted new friends. But one of them put on their feed "Who is this girl" (my username) and I thought, omg I hope I don't look like a creep already "liking" her stuff. But I guess it's true if someone didn't want the cheering on it can be hidden. I didn't know that :P

That's terrible!

I usually like people's fitness & food log so that they know that I'm watching. If they do something outstanding, I comment. I usually write something goofy that I probably wouldn't say outloud IRL, like - Rock On!!! or You Go Girl!!! ....because it's fun.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    I turned off the notifications for: completing a diary, losing weight, and X day streak. I recently turned the streak back on so I don't miss my own "200 days on MFP" because I absolutely missed 100 days. I weigh every day. 1/2 the time I lose weight day to day. the other half the time I gain weight day to day. I lose more than I gain, but I don't want to see the same 1 lb coming and going and get CONGRATS! I noticed people did that, even when my ticker made it clear it was the same 1 lb.

I never congratulate someone for completing their diary. I don't care about people completing their diaries. I never hit "Complete" on mine. You never know when you're going to get a little more exercise in, or eat a nibble. I also focus on weekly calorie intake moreso than daily, so it means nothing if I was over of under on a Tuesday. It evens out by the end of the week.
  • zip_girl
    zip_girl Posts: 29
    Options
    I feel a little awkward about it so I just turned my notifications off. I wish more people would turn off the notifications and just post stuff to start a discussion. I feel more connected to the friends I have actually had a conversation with.
  • Yurippe
    Yurippe Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    "Grats on being under your calories!" Thank you, I am proud that I ate fast food twice today.

There are times in the past that I've had upwards of 100 friends. Mostly added when I joined some sort of group or challenge. All of which disappeared over the years, and I've long since deleted.

Currently I have maybe 4 friends. Two I know IRL, one added me because we share a group, and another that I added because her forum posts are ridiculously offensive and I like to follow her nonsense on the forums. I'm past a point where online encouragement does anything for me. It is completely hollow.

At this point I would only add someone I found amusing.

ETA: this is the friend request message I just sent out, "You amuse me. I have no intention of ever sending you any support, but would like to forum stalk you for the lulz."
  • eggomylegos
    eggomylegos Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I love it! I'm a big 'ol e-cheerleader. Reading diaries and posting positive messages on my friends newsfeeds motivates me to stay on track. I purposely look for friends who are very active on the site.

Personally. it feels impossible to take this journey alone. MFP is my easy access support system.
  • CindyMarcuzAdams
    CindyMarcuzAdams Posts: 4,006 Member
    Options
    Clicking like is an acknowledgement of the post. I read it and I am happy for you. There is nothing phony about it. I love getting comments on my page. It honestly boosts me up. My only encouragement i get is from my hubby so the cheers I get from friends on here does mean a lot.
  • bunbunzee44
    bunbunzee44 Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    YES I like them :3 I don't talk about fitness and weight loss/controlling outside of MFP much, people who don't exercise will have their great comments like 'you don't need to lose weight' when I talk about exercise.. :/
  • farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I LOVE getting cheered on! and I love cheering others on, unless you're on my nerves...then I ignore you.
  • Fsunami
    Fsunami Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I take the time for them, because they do the same for me.

Truth is that many of them have helped me stay focused/committed, get better educated, etc, so its a worthwhile investment of my time.

Fsunami
  • DireWolfCurse
    DireWolfCurse Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Hey girl. None of my real life peeps take my weight loss seriously either. I've just started training for a 5K again, because I made time for it, and my SO thinks because I'm running now that it's okay to keep wanting to eat at burger joints or fast food places. As for commenting, I think a lot of people don't want to take the time to feel obligated to do the same for others and post things on their profiles. Also, when you get some people who comment on everything you do, sometimes it feels weird. I'm not sure why.
  • Lyndonbearsmommy
    Lyndonbearsmommy Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty excitable about everything so I like all the compliments and kind words :)

Me too. I think it's nice to encourage others, and generally think that those doing so are at least somewhat genuine, otherwise, why would they bother?

You're adorable BTW OP, cute picture.
  • Missboss888
    Missboss888 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your feedback guys. I guess it looks like some people like it some don't, so I'm still in the same predicament. People who don't like it can delete me. Lol. And yes. I feel like now that I work out my mom feels the need to call me over everyday for some homemade enchiladas and chicken tacos. My friends decide it's time to drink 3xs a week instead of twice, so I just keep my distance from everyone who isn't taking my weightloss serious.
  • farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your feedback guys. I guess it looks like some people like it some don't, so I'm still in the same predicament. People who don't like it can delete me. Lol. And yes. I feel like now that I work out my mom feels the need to call me over everyday for some homemade enchiladas and chicken tacos. My friends decide it's time to drink 3xs a week instead of twice, so I just keep my distance from everyone who isn't taking my weightloss serious.

Cool:wink:
  • Penthesilea514
    Penthesilea514 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    I click the like so people know I'm still watching, and if they've been struggling, and start getting it right then, "Way to go!" is appropriate. If someone is taking time out of their day to acknowledge you, I don't consider it fake. I know my life is very busy between dieting, working out, resposibilities, and finding time for fun. A simple like should mean something, and some kind words even more. I appreciate them when I get them :)

^This
  • tracymayo1
    tracymayo1 Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    I like getting the comments and such on my feed. If nothing else, it just reminds me "someone is watching" and helps me steer clear when I am having naughty cravings in the evening and I dont have the calories to indulge left over.

I will LIKE people's status when they have a good workout, or lose weight. I will normally LIKE when I see they are under their calorie goal for the day.

I like to have people "encourage" me (because I am easily discouraged) so I like to think other do too!
  • CA_Underdog
    CA_Underdog Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your feedback guys. I guess it looks like some people like it some don't, so I'm still in the same predicament. People who don't like it can delete me
    Bingo! I am enthusiastic, too, about my friends' health! I've deleted a few friends and one delete me. I am okay with that! We are who we are, and may we each find the people we need for our successful journey. :)
  • Missboss888
    Missboss888 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Thank you Lyndon. :) I've requested you guys who said you like the encouragement. Hope ya don't mind :D
  • cuckoo_jenibeth
    cuckoo_jenibeth Posts: 1,434 Member
    Options
    I figure that I only have to worry about my sincerity, as I am only in control of myself. My encouragement is heartfelt, so I accept my friends as such. I also feel an accountability to these friends to be honest & open, so that helps me make wise decisions.
  • handyrunner
    handyrunner Posts: 32,662 Member
    Options
    I broke my ankle over the weekend...and got a great outpouring of support from my friends on here..something that i really appreciate, truely.
    I do like the comments.. I myself am a cronic "like" person...I dont comment as often as i should..but when i hit the like button..it is because I genuinly recognize that event and that I am glad for what they are doing and I wish them continued success. And that holds true whether I comment or not along with it.